Author Topic: Avast news does not show the updates  (Read 4585 times)

Scarch

Avast news does not show the updates
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:03:04 PM »
I have downloaded the latest version 546 and everything works very good. But I find strange that last update is not reflected in the avast news. It stopped showing the updates when the last one was the version 4.1.389

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Avast news does not show the updates
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 08:20:42 PM »
Because of the auto update features of avast, I feel that the iNews feature is a bit redundant (my views, not necessarily Alwil's views).

This has been mentioned before in these forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 10:53:09 PM »
We'll update iNews shortly. We haven't done so yet because of some technical difficulties...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Scarch

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 07:01:37 PM »
I have the autoupdates disabled (maybe this helps)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 05:43:14 PM »
We'll update iNews shortly. We haven't done so yet because of some technical difficulties...

Time?  ;D  ;D

I have the autoupdates disabled (maybe this helps)

No, it does not help. iNews is not affected by the autoupdate feature, at least directly. You will receive iNews when they're available not with the update itself. Anyway, why do you disable the autoupdates?
The best things in life are free.

Scarch

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 10:23:22 PM »
I update manually because of my bad experiences with all antivirus. if the server is not found, there is no message showing that error, and the program keeps trying to connect, leaving the Internet connection unusable. But in fact, i did not try with avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 12:42:13 PM »
I update manually because of my bad experiences with all antivirus. if the server is not found, there is no message showing that error, and the program keeps trying to connect, leaving the Internet connection unusable. But in fact, i did not try with avast.

Man, you're using avast and not any other antivirus  ;D

avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.
Some of this settings could be configurated different, I posted the default values of the avast4.ini file.

The updates are incremental. This is the wiser method of updating I have ever seen in a antivirus  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 06:03:30 PM »
i think DrWeb use incremental update method too ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive