Author Topic: Problems sending mail  (Read 22575 times)

Lito

Problems sending mail
« on: November 16, 2004, 01:38:33 AM »
First of all, excuse me for start a new thread but I think my problem is slighty different from the others threads I read.

I updated my avast! to version 4.5.518 two days on my Windows Millennium computer and everything was working perfect until today when I updated to version 4.5.523 ???. I'm still able to download (and scan) the incoming mail, but when I try to send an email (no matter the size) I receive an error (I'm attaching a screenshot).

Although I am on a Windows 9x machine I tried with this answer: http://www.avast.com/eng/email_problems.html#idt_6796 but no luck for me :-\. Users of Windows 98 and Me should leave the server settings with 127.0.0.1 or do the same of the w2k/XP users?

This problem is happening on Thunderbird 0.9
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 01:40:24 AM by Lito »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Problems sending mail
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:44:46 AM »
Lito, welcome back... we miss you  ;)
Windows Me should use the same configuration of 98... i.e., 127.0.0.1 or the 'old' ones used into 4.1 version.

My TB is receiving and sending  :-\
Do you use a firewall? A smtp filter?
I'm thinking this should be a problem of the last avast version and some systems...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Lito

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 01:51:08 AM »
Lito, welcome back... we miss you  ;)

Oh, thank you Technical, you remember me :D. You now have more than 7000 posts. Wow :o. Contratulations ;)

Windows Me should use the same configuration of 98... i.e., 127.0.0.1 or the 'old' ones used into 4.1 version.

My TB is receiving and sending  :-\
Do you use a firewall? A smtp filter?

I have a firewall, Look'n'Stop, but the settings are the same than before the update. No smtp filter :-\

I'm thinking this should be a problem of the last avast version and some systems...  :'(

Yes, I'm guessing that this could be system specific :'(

Cheers Technical, as always thank you for your answer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 02:02:55 AM »
I have a firewall, Look'n'Stop, but the settings are the same than before the update. No smtp filter :-\

Could you disable it for a while, send an email to yourself and see what you get?
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 02:04:39 AM »
Lito try to open your firewall and look at application section... must be somewhere... where you can give those applications you use access. You need to give access to ashMaiSv.exe service because it's changed with latest update. It's liitle weird that your firewall didn't warn you about that change. Sygate does that without problems... I just gave it access and everything is fine. If that avast! process is blocked by your firewall, of course you can't send or receive...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 02:05:25 AM by S.Z.C »

Lito

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 03:07:51 AM »
Could you disable it for a while, send an email to yourself and see what you get?

Hi Technical, I tried that but I got the same error message :(.

If that avast! process is blocked by your firewall, of course you can't send or receive...

Cheers !

Hi S.Z.Craftec, my ashMaiSv.exe has full access through the firewall. The wierd thing is that I can receive mails but not send (I can send disabling the outgoing scanning).

I tried to send an email using Outlook Express and I got the same error again ???.

Cheers, Lito.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 12:09:53 PM »
Lito, is ther any chance you can post screenshot of the window containing your pop and smtp settings (pop and smtp server names) in your mail client ?

Cheers !

Lito

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 07:15:10 PM »
Lito, is ther any chance you can post screenshot of the window containing your pop and smtp settings (pop and smtp server names) in your mail client ?

Cheers !

Hi again S.Z.Craftec, these are my settings:

SMTP and POP3

Because I'm on Windows Me I kept the old config, and I didn't change anything after the update ???

Thank you again. Cheers.

peterfu

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:31:14 PM »
Hi Lito,
I might be wrong, but shouldn't there your username before the # in the SMTP settings, like <username>#<smtp server>.
just a thought
br
Peter

Lito

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 08:02:08 PM »
Hi Lito,
I might be wrong, but shouldn't there your username before the # in the SMTP settings, like <username>#<smtp server>.
just a thought
br
Peter

Hello Peter, that's only if your ISP requires SMTP authentication. By the way, I have those settings from avast 4.1 and it used to work :'(

Cheers, Lito.

peterfu

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 08:09:51 PM »
Hi Lito,
hmm, was thinking on a typing error - sorry, would have been a nice quick win  ;)
br
Peter

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 08:11:52 PM »
What happens if you change the smtp to username#mail.server.com?

peterfu

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 08:44:30 PM »
Hi Lito,
as I'm running a mailserver myself I'm a little bit sceptic that no authentification is required - this would then be a open relay - ahh, spammers would be in heaven - so I've done a telnet session to it:

[admin admin]$ telnet mail.cantv.net 25
Trying 200.44.32.43...
Connected to mail.cantv.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-rs25s9.datacenter.cha.cantv.net ESMTP Exchange Server 2.236/2.0
220-Vea http://www.cantv.net/seguridad/email para terminos y condiciones
220-de uso de este servicio, especialmente en cuanto a los requerimientos
220-tecnicos necesarios para que Cantv.net acepte sus mensajes
220 Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:37:43 -0400
HELO <hidden>
250 rs25s9.datacenter.cha.cantv.net Hello <hidden>
[217.196.72.126], pleased to meet you
MAIL FROM: <hidden>
250 2.1.0 <hidden>... Sender ok
RCPT TO: <hidden>
550 5.7.1 <hidden>... Relaying denied
Connection closed by foreign host

------- end of telnet session ---------

Pls follow Eddy and give it a try

br
Peter

HANAP

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 10:11:31 PM »
I don't know if this will help.....I have spent hours today on the phone with my ISP.  My email is the same as Lito's.  I can receive but I can't send.  We figured it was firewall related and tried a bunch of config's there with nothing good resulting.  Finally we disabled the outlook AND the mail access scanners on AVAST and the mail is flowing through both inbound and outbound without any issues.  my mail died yesterday after I downloaded the update of AVAST (vers 4.5.523) and I didn't even click to the fact that my mail stopped then.  I would have to suspect that there is a conflict in AVAST's newest software and the SMTP connections?  I tried about 5 other email clients today without any luck.  I can't believe that there is a flaw in AVAST personally, because I have been running it without incident forever and can't think of any better product on the market!!!!

Hope that helps

HANAP ;D

Lito

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 11:27:17 PM »
What happens if you change the smtp to username#mail.server.com?

Hi Eddy, I just tried that and received the same error box reported on the first post. The error is instantaneous, it doesn't have a delay or something. And the ashMaiSv.exe icon doesn't appear either in the taskbar, but as I said it works perfect downloading mails.

Hi Lito,
as I'm running a mailserver myself I'm a little bit sceptic that no authentification is required - this would then be a open relay - ahh, spammers would be in heaven -

Hi again Peter, I really don't know how they do it, but you can use their smtp server only ir your IP adress corresponds to this ISP, even if you are not authenticating through the smtp server ???

And, as HANAP said, I think this could a conflict with the new avast! version because with the same config it worked on version 4.1 :'(

Cheers, and thanks to all for your help ;)