Author Topic: Problems sending mail  (Read 22579 times)

davehries

Re:Problems sending mail
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 11:32:06 PM »
I am having the same problem.  Worked fine until I upgraded to 45523.  If I disable Avast everything works fine again.  I can receive mail without any problem, but can't send outgoing mail. I tried uninstalling Avast and reinstalling, but it did not help.  
I am running WinXP and ZoneAlarm Pro on an AMD64 machine.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 01:45:10 AM »
I tryed Vlk's patch to ashMaiSv.exe (disabling the service and the providers, overwriting the files and starting all over again): Unsuccesful.

I booted, the same  :'(
I uninstall > boot > install > boot, the same  :-[

Disable firewall, uninstall firewall... I'm tired  :(
Why can't I send authenticated emails since version 4.5.518 or the earliers betas of the 4.5?
The best things in life are free.

peterfu

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 07:17:47 AM »
Strange - seems that I one of the lucky guys who never had a problem - 4.1 worked fine, the 4.5 beta versions worked fine. Now I'm on 4.5.523 and all is fine.

May be it's my setup:
Processor : Intel
Mail Client : Outlook Express - latest Version 6.00.2800.1123
Firewall : ZA (Free Version) 5.1.0033.00
Avast : 4.5.523 (Home Version)

I do start ZA 4 seconds before Avast with Startup Delayer.

And I use authentification for outgoing mails (SMTP on standard port 25) and IMAP (on standard port 143) for incoming mails.

OE is configured as if Avast would not be there.Was also replaced automatically from old settings by upgrading from 4.1 to 4.5 beta.

To Lito : a mailserver can be configured to allow relay for a certain IP range without authentification, in case of ISP's of course for there own IP range.

No idea now what could cause this - but I'm very optimistic that Avril will solve these issues.

br
Peter

PS : Sorry if I don't response fast to forum
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 07:21:52 AM by peterfu »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 12:04:10 PM »
Well, I'm so happy I am the lucky one too...  ;D I've never had problems with my avast! no matter what version or build we are talking about.

Everything runs so smooth, that's really unbelievable. It must be something regarding those e-mail client/firewall/system configurations when those people are experiencing such a problems. I really don't see any problem with any of avast! processes.

Cheers !

peterfu

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 12:08:11 PM »
Welcome to the Club  ;D

Anyway I think the minority of users have problems - but these are tricky ones

br
Peter

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 12:16:21 PM »
Oh, I'm here pretty looooooong time, and I never had any problems with my dearest avast!  ;)

Cheers !

peterfu

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 12:24:04 PM »
For me it's a brand new relationship  ;) - but I'm very impressed from the Software, Avril and this Forum

Ah, we are now very Off Topic

br
Peter

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 12:36:51 PM »
Alwil Software by the way  ;) peterfu... Avril is like Avril Lavigne - a singer from Napanee (close to Toronto)  :)

Cheers !

Enjoy your avast!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 12:37:23 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

peterfu

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2004, 12:38:40 PM »
UPS - I'm bad in names ---- Sorry Alwil
br
peter

Gildoniel

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 01:21:26 PM »
Hello!

I have a problem sending Emails recently - I'm using Avast Personal 4.5.523
My server requires SSL/TLS authentication, I tried several different Email clients (OE, Netscape 7.1, Thunderbird) the same problem - it hangs and times out (no matter if I have my timeout at 30 sec or 600 sec). I tried to change my settings so it would not scan outbound mail by unchecking the box in "Internet Mail" -> "SMTP" -> "check outgoing mail". That had no effect, all outbound mail was stuck. "Pausing" the provider didn't help either, only  a shutdown of the "internet mail" provider resulted in a immediate success (mail was sent in seconds).

I would like to use the Provider for my email and have my email scaned, if anyone has an idea I'd be greatful.

Thanks in advance
Gil

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2004, 01:30:02 PM »
Patience please  ;) There are many users out there with exactly same problem. So, I think Alwil is already working on that issue.

Btw, I think that SSL/TLS authentication doesn't work with avast! 4.5... yet...

Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2004, 01:36:17 PM »
Btw, I think that SSL/TLS authentication doesn't work with avast! 4.5... yet...

And it won't be in newer versions...
Another problem is SMTP authentication that is erratic right now: some works, some not. As you say, patience  :P
The best things in life are free.

Gildoniel

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 03:06:09 PM »
Hmmm ...
Strange that disabling Avast to scan outbound mail won't fix the problem. It still seems to block the mails. It DOES successfully scan the unsecure (non SSL) inbound traffic.

Just completely turnung off the SMTP related stuff would greatly improve the situation - at least for me. Getting the incomming mail scaned is a nice and important feature nowadays.

BlackSheik

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2004, 03:30:20 PM »
Hello!

I have a problem sending Emails recently - I'm using Avast Personal 4.5.523
My server requires SSL/TLS authentication, I tried several different Email clients (OE, Netscape 7.1, Thunderbird)

Hi Gildoniel
I had the same problems then after a long discussion here in the forum we find the solution.  ;D
I use Thunderbird and in TB you must change the setting from TLS.
Change it in "never"  or "SSL" because Avast can't use TLS.

Greetz
Black Sheik who is very happy now with Avast. ;D  ;D  ;D

Excuse my english.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2004, 03:33:53 PM »
Haha, BlackSheik I am so happy when I see that you are so happy now. I'm really glad you solved all your problems with avast! I told you, just need to calm down a little bit and everything will be great...  ;)

Btw, your English is fine. No problems understanding you at all... there are many users in these forums from different parts of the World and we can not expect perfect English from each one of them... mine is far from perfect as well, but that doesn't stop me to try to help people in these forums.

You see now ? You are very happy. That was our goal in the first place.

Gildoniel - you're completely right. I think Alwil should consider making avast! supports SSl. We have to wait and we'll see... they never failed their users. We are talking about Alwil Software guys... don't forget that !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 03:35:55 PM by S.Z.Craftec »