Author Topic: avast and ssl for e-mail  (Read 3381 times)

leona65

avast and ssl for e-mail
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
I hope this is the right forum.

My ISP is switching their e-mail over to gmail.  I like using my e-mail client  and will continue to do so.  My ISP gave instructions for setting up POP.  Already had POP set up in my client - but had to change some settings.  Previously had not been using SSL.  The instructions said to check the SSL box.  At first I got a warning message from AVAST about the SSL, but no longer get that. SSL ports are set up in AVAST.
But with the SSL checked in my  client - AVAST was not scanning my e-mail.
If I go back to the client - and uncheck SSL - then AVAST does the scan.

I really don't know anything about SSL. Since, the instructions from the ISP said to check the SSL box in the client, I don't know if unchecking it is the appropriate things to do?  Is AVAST taking care of all the SSL stuff?

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: avast and ssl for e-mail
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »
If you want avast to scan your email then unchecking ssl in your client is what you have to do and is safe to do so because avast will then look after the security, even safer would be to use gmail direct online rather than bringing your mail in with a client but that is your choice.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
SSL is a secure connection
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

so if you want avast to scan the mail form a account with SSL you must disable SSL in you mail client and let avast do the SSL connection
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

if you dont want avast to do it, you are still protected in your case, as Gmail is protecting all mail account with Postini spam/virus filter using twin AV engines from McAfee and Authentium
The SSL warning popup can then be turned off if you want
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:10:56 PM by Pondus »

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 07:18:16 PM »
@leona65,

In short, EITHER Avast takes care of SSL by configuring Avast settings for it, or it is your email client (the program you use to read, send and retrieve your emails) that is configured for SSL. Not both.

So, as already explained, if you configured Avast correctly to take care of SSL, it's perfectly fine (and desired) to deselect (unselect, uncheck, unset) this option in your email program.

leona65

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I have heard it is safer to  use the online version. but guess I am kind of old and set in my ways.  I may change my mind later.

I just wanted to make sure that I was not losing some protection by setting up the ssl ports in avast and turning off ssl in my client.  Sounds like I am OK by letting avast take care of the ssl.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:35:14 PM by leona65 »

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
Your welcome  :)

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:01:50 PM »
A little more fortification.

My ISP also uses gmail for pop and smtp.

The boys here know their stuff.
printed on 100% recycled bytes