Author Topic: Renewal Notice after every update - must reboot to detect license  (Read 2445 times)

StarkOS

Okay, so for the last few months Avast would randomly pop up nag and inform me that I need to renew as my license is expired. Which it isn't. Inserting license file to correct issue prompts error of it being not valid. Once you reboot though the updated avast is correctly registered and working fine.

so, um, okay.

That was up till the beginning of October 2011, and a minor annoyance.
Now it's every goddamned day.

please provide updates to the code for registration so that this issue can be negated, your daily virus updates, engine and program updates pooch it consistently.

If you have some form of error log location, please let me know so I can send it to you. It's driving me mad.

thank you.
john

system : Win7 Ultimate, 64bit, Phenom x4, 16gig ram, 2tb hdd

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Renewal Notice after every update - must reboot to detect license
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
You miss one crucial bit of information, what version of avast are you using ?

If avast 4.8 the pop-up is more to do with obsolescence than the license has expired. Avast are trying to get those who can (not on win9x or winME) to update to the latest version of avast 6.0.1289 as 4.8 is effectively on life support and avast are getting ready to throw the switch.

If it is not avast 4.8 - Try a repair of avast:
Win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You may need to reboot after the repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

StarkOS

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:50:32 PM »
Hi David...  I'm using the current version (6.0.1.289 with current defs)
as for repair, no nothing solves the issue - except just uninstalling, then no problem whatsoever.
Additionally, it's a paid subscription, so one would think it would "stick"

any other thoughts?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
If the repair isn't resolving this I would move to the next step and do a clean reinstall of Pro/AIS version.

- Download the latest version of avast, 6.0.1289 see below and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 5.x and 6.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 5.x if previously installed and then for 6.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Direct download location.
Pro AV:  - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS:     - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DBone

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
I have to ask, Your license is legit, right?