Author Topic: Avast 6 causes PC slow start-up  (Read 6456 times)

bluevale

Avast 6 causes PC slow start-up
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
After switching on, my Windows XP home PC takes a long time to start up and prevents other programs from running whilst Avast (Version 6.0.1289 Free) is checking for automatic updates.
Is there anyway I can edit the Avast settings to remedy this, for instance, delaying the Avast update ?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 6 causes PC slow start-up
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
To delay the update of avast into a permanent internet connection (DSL), just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast5.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
The best things in life are free.

bluevale

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »
Thanks but I've searched the Avast folder in Program Files but can find no reference to the .ini file you mentioned above.
The only .ini files I've found using the search facility are :

aswdefs
Components
setup
def

Can you suggest what I can try or look for next ?
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
It isn't in the avast program folder, but the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP), this may be a hidden folder in XP, so you may have to change the folder settings to view it.

You have to use Notepad to edit it or the avast self-defence module will block you and the file would also be read only with another text editor.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 06:20:25 PM »
I wonder if simply delaying Avast service wouldn't be enough to delay the update also enough so the problems would disappear anyway.

That would be Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> "load Avast services only after other system services".

It has a "con": the service is loaded later on, not only the download of updates. The "pro" is it's easier to configure (directly in the main GUI, instead of editing the ini).

Of course, if the user is able to correctly edit the ini, that is much better, since it performs the exact action needed, and no other unwanted / undesirable collateral consequences are suffered.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
Delaying the avast service will gain you fractions of a second and the avast.setup doesn't run that quick, avast has to be running. So essentially you would be pushing the update check back fractions of a second.

The only way it might have an impact is is there is some sort of conflict occurring, which would meant it isn't update related and that isn't what the OP is saying.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bluevale

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
I did as Tech suggested above - actually put in a value of 360 - and all seems better now.

Thanks very much.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:43:39 AM »
I did as Tech suggested above - actually put in a value of 360 - and all seems better now.

Thanks very much.
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.