Author Topic: Outlook Express no e-mail  (Read 25156 times)

Crazy Canuck

Outlook Express no e-mail
« on: November 16, 2004, 02:45:15 AM »
Greetings all.  First time here in the forum.  Just updated my Avast to 4.5.523 and VPS 044.0.  Now I get no e-mail.  I am running Windows XP,SP2 Intel P3 with 320 ram.  I use Outlook Express for e-mail and use MS Outlook 2003, but not for e-mail access.  

As soon as I updated to the latest version, all my incoming e-mail has stopped.  I checked all my settings in OE and all are good to go.  I couldn't locate any settings in Avast to remedy this problem, other that shutting down Internet e-mail module.  When I shut it down, all my e-mail comes down as it should.  Enable the module, no mail.  I've been through your board, and found some similarities but no answers to my problem.  I have just removed Avast and using Zone Alarms suite AV for now.  I like the Avast program and used for the past year and half with no complaints.   :'(

Any help here to get me back on Avast would be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Outlook Express no e-mail
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 03:14:43 AM »
Welcome to forums  ;)

Can you look for help in related topics of http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2  ;)

Maybe it's a problem with your firewall not giving access to ashMaiSv.exe, not avast! problem. All others fixed their problems by giving access to mentioned service in their firewall. You should do that to. Open your firewall properties, find application section and give that service (ashMaiSv.exe) full access.

The firewall must warn you about that ashMaiSv.exe was trying to access the Internet. If that avast! process is blocked by your firewall, of course you can't send or receive...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 03:17:24 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Crazy Canuck

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 04:46:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Maybe I didn't make it really clear.  I can send mail out, but can't get mail in.  I checked out my ZA  "ashMaisv.exe" for access and it is granted in the program section.  So that is not the problem.  The thing troubles me is this.  When I first set up the re-install of Avast, I checked all the settings for access and all was well.  I downloaded some mail and received all that the server had.  I went about my business on the net and then went to get my mail.  It was the same as before, like no mail because of the error.  Why it would work when first re-installed and then go back to square one ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 05:37:49 AM by Crazy Canuck »

A_Thor

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 05:48:36 AM »
You are not crazy about this!
Please excuse my jumping into your thread, I have had the same problem since I installed ver .518 of Avast the other day. When I was looking to this forum for help I saw this post and also that another newer Avast was avlailable. Like you, I saw it work and then today my wife calls me at work saying it doesn't. That kind of troubleshooting by phone I don't need!

The new one, ver 4.5.523 seems to have fixed the problem for me.

This is what I did:
I have a very similar software setup to yours, XP with SP2 patches, XP firewall off, ZA ver 5.0.590 with ashMaiSv.exe given full permissions. OE express didn't connect to download mail. After timming out, an Avast message poped up saying the server yada.yada.yada.yada port 25 could not be reached. I pinged it and it is there.

Turned off the internet mail provider and low and behold all the messages come in! Turned off ZA (not recommended, but I am behind a router) and repeated the same thing, Avast Internet provider on == no messages. Avast provider off OE works again.

So it WAS Avast blocking the messages.

Next I removed ashMaiSv from ZA program control to allow ZA to redetect the program with no change after giving permissions.

Then I enabled Avast's program upgrade and it now works with the Internet Provider running.
So that is it, at least right now, ver .523 is working. We'll see if it is intermitent, but I would think not.

May I suggest you uninstall Avast and reinstall it with the current version? Perhaps you had a bad setup....

Crazy Canuck

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 06:01:26 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion A_Thor.  I'll take help anywhere, anyhow and anyway I can.  :D  As I have already uninstalled Avast, it would be no problem trying again because ZA's AV is a snap to turn off.  Will let you know.  

A_Thor

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 06:06:54 AM »
Um, yeah that would work and be safer! I forgot about that setting in there!

Still from what you describe, and my own incident, I'd say something is amiss in your Avast.

Just a thought, you have checked for trojans and spyware with online scanners (Housecall) and A², Spybot or Adaware?

Crazy Canuck

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 06:36:40 AM »
Oh yes.  Very aware of all that.  Do daily scans with a² - AdAware- SpyBot - and run Spyware Blaster.  Anyway, just tried your suggestion and it didn't work out.  I get the same results.  Here is a copy of the error. ??? ???

The server responded with an error. Account: 'Harold', Server: 'pop.telus.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Service not available (server error)', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Any input appreciated.

H

A_Thor

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 07:29:43 AM »
Yes this is sad, I have two identies that can send mail to each other but the third one, my spam account won't download 15 messages while the Internet Mail provider is on.

Along with the error you cited I have this:

So anyone with other suggestions? E mail protection was one of the better features. It would be nice ?! to have it work. I am considering going back to my back up image of two weeks ago, with Avst's earlier ver that did work. Seems pretty draconian.

A_Thor

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 07:30:47 AM »
here's the attachment:

techie101

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 07:51:40 AM »
Here is the story in a nutshell:

Version 4.1 used local host 127.0.0.1 with Avast and inserted an appersand (#) into the username format such as userxxx@isp.com#pop.isp.com
Avast utilized the Mail Protection Wizard to configure the system email client and setup the Avast ini file.

Version 4.5 uses a different mail configuration utility which means the settings for the servers are those of your ISP and no modification should be made to the username.  It does not use the MPW (except for Windows 98).  

At least that was the intent.  For unknown reasons, some systems do not "configure" correctly as they should under 4.5 and manual configuration has been necessary.

First, determine if your OS requires the 4.1 or 4.5 configuration.  Then go into your email client and check them.  If the settings are ok, then come to the forum and see what results others users have had with their setups.

I can offer my setups as a guide:
W98 and 4.5........use old settings
WME and 4.5.........use new settings with OE only.  *Thunderbird ran only with the old settings.(pre .9 versions)
WXP with 4.5..........use new settings with OE.

That's all the advice I can offer right now until things are better sorted out.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 07:57:01 AM by Techie101 »

portal

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 03:56:09 PM »
Hi,

I’m a new user of Avast.

I’ve installed the new release (4.5.523). I have a problem with the outgoing e-mail in Outlook express. It means I cannot send e-mail.

I read a lot in the other threads but I cannot find a clear solution. The problem seems related to the e-mail scanner.

If I go in avast4.ini and put autoredirect to 0 everything works fine but I’m not sure that my e-mail is scanned with this setting. I did a test by putting a note in the incoming e-mail (using the setting of Avast) but when I receive an e-mail I do not have any note in the e-mail saying that avast has scanned it.

Do someone can help me with a clear solution ? I have windows XP SP2, Windows XP firewall on.

Thanks in advance

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 04:03:36 PM »
CC,

The server responded with an error. Account: 'Harold', Server: 'pop.telus.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Service not available (server error)', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Probably an obvious question but is the POP3 server up? I mean, Service Not Available (server error) is not a message that would be coming from avast...

portal,
first, remove the AutoRedirect value from the ini file.
Next, check your OE account settings: what do they show e.g. for SMTP or POP3 server address? If it is 127.0.0.1, change it to your regular server name. Do the same with other settings altered to make avast work (e.g. POP3 username). Then try again.

BTW are you using a firewall? If so, which one?

Thx
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

portal

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 06:23:15 PM »
Thanks for your quick answer but I tried before. In my OE account I have the good information pophm.sympatico.ca and smtphm.sympatico.ca with the good port. if I removed autoredirect i gor the same problem - cannot send an e-mail-. It worked fine with the version 4.1 and same settup in my OE account.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 06:29:46 PM »
portal, what error message do you get from OE, exactly? Does it appear immediately or is there a small delay (like it's doing something)?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

portal

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 06:39:05 PM »
something like this one.

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. ...

thanks (I'm not at home) I don't have the full message

Thanks