Author Topic: Outlook Express no e-mail  (Read 25210 times)

kudavis

Re:Outlook Express no e-mail
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 08:06:07 PM »
The post quoted below pretty much explains my problem, but some clarification is in order.

I am running Windows 98 SE and OE 6.00.2800.1123 and  upgraded to Avast! - Build: Nov2004 4.5.523

After the Avast! upgrade, I could NOT SEND emails but I could RECEIVE them.  I received the following error msg:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'kudavisjobs@sbcglobal.net'. Subject 'test', Account: 'Jobs', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - for help go to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/dsl/mail/pop/pop-11.html', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

To FIX this problem, I did the following:
For EACH of my OE mail Accounts:
First, I replaced the "Outgoing Mail (SMTP)" server from 127.0.0.1 to the actual name of my server i.e. smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

Second, In the "My Server requires Authentication" Settings, I modified the "Login using" Account name by deleting the "#smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" appended to the Account name e.g. use only the actual Account name.

I did NOT modify the "Incoming mail (POP3)" field e.g. it still contains a reference to 127.0.0.1

I did NOT modify the "Incoming Mail Server" fields e.g. the Account Name field still has "#pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" appended to it.

After these changes to EACH email account, I am now able to SEND and RECIEVE emails from each account as I was BEFORE the upgrade.

Also, I reviewed the avast! On-Access Scanner Settings.  The "Outlook/Exchange" provider displays the following message:
"The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start"
I'm not sure what that means, but obviously avast! is NOT recognizing my OE client.  OE is open and running as expected, but this message keeps displaying indefinitely.

I hope this helps any of the Windows 98 diehards (slackers?) out there.

P.S.  For a long as it has taken me to compose this post, the problem has probably already been solved.  If so, then... never mind!

Here is the story in a nutshell:

Version 4.1 used local host 127.0.0.1 with Avast and inserted an appersand (#) into the username format such as userxxx@isp.com#pop.isp.com
Avast utilized the Mail Protection Wizard to configure the system email client and setup the Avast ini file.

Version 4.5 uses a different mail configuration utility which means the settings for the servers are those of your ISP and no modification should be made to the username.  It does not use the MPW (except for Windows 98).  

At least that was the intent.  For unknown reasons, some systems do not "configure" correctly as they should under 4.5 and manual configuration has been necessary.

First, determine if your OS requires the 4.1 or 4.5 configuration.  Then go into your email client and check them.  If the settings are ok, then come to the forum and see what results others users have had with their setups.

I can offer my setups as a guide:
W98 and 4.5........use old settings
WME and 4.5.........use new settings with OE only.  *Thunderbird ran only with the old settings.(pre .9 versions)
WXP with 4.5..........use new settings with OE.

That's all the advice I can offer right now until things are better sorted out.

peterfu

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »

Also, I reviewed the avast! On-Access Scanner Settings.  The "Outlook/Exchange" provider displays the following message:
"The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start"
I'm not sure what that means, but obviously avast! is NOT recognizing my OE client.  OE is open and running as expected, but this message keeps displaying indefinitely.

Hi kudavis,
with OE the "Internet Mail" Provider is used - the Outlook/Exchange Provider is for Outlook/Exchange
br
Peter

kudavis

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 08:28:48 PM »
Well, that would explain the persistent error msg from that provider.  I have "terminated" the "Outlook/Exchange" provider and everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks, Peter!

kudavis

peterfu

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 08:33:22 PM »
Your welcome
br
Peter

PS : I'm a very new user of Avast - but I love this software and this forum ist  GREAT !!!

Crazy Canuck

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 12:07:08 AM »

Version 4.1 used local host 127.0.0.1 with Avast and inserted an appersand (#) into the username format such as userxxx@isp.com#pop.isp.com
Avast utilized the Mail Protection Wizard to configure the system email client and setup the Avast ini file.

Version 4.5 uses a different mail configuration utility which means the settings for the servers are those of your ISP and no modification should be made to the username.  It does not use the MPW (except for Windows 98).  

At least that was the intent.  For unknown reasons, some systems do not "configure" correctly as they should under 4.5 and manual configuration has been necessary.

First, determine if your OS requires the 4.1 or 4.5 configuration.  Then go into your email client and check them.  If the settings are ok, then come to the forum and see what results others users have had with their setups.

WME and 4.5.........use new settings with OE only.  *Thunderbird ran only with the old settings.(pre .9 versions)

Thanks for the response.  Now, here's the strange part of the story.  When I shut down last night, I left all the settings as default, which stopped my mail from loading.  It's now the next afternoon, the machine being in the off mode all this time.  I thought I would try one more time before loading this board, and wonders of wonder, it downloaded the mail it was rejecting last night.  Checked all my setting and nothing has change.  ??? ???  Do you techies have little imps working on our machines when we log off???

jmt9455

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 12:49:34 AM »
hi all........
i just returned from a few days away and the new avast program updated....... win98......
did the email config. thing from the past.......
and still no emails coming through.......

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 12:56:11 AM »
Please look at replies 6, 10 and 11 in THIS THREAD

Does it solve the problem?

jmt9455

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2004, 01:13:40 AM »
thank you, i looked at the recomended responses....

no,
i am using the latest version of zone alarm 5.5

did the changes from pop3 and smpt settings that was recommended with previous updates......

i am able to receive email, just not send any

UPDATE: I followed, reply #15....and modified my outgoing mailserver account to my name and the authentication settings to my name only and things worked!
I have the same question however, is avast protecting as it indicates that "the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start"......i'm presuming that the answer is "yes" avast is working! ???
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 01:28:22 AM by jmt9455 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 01:38:51 AM »
I have the same question however, is avast protecting as it indicates that "the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start"......i'm presuming that the answer is "yes" avast is working! ???

The Ms Outlook plugin is waiting for Ms Outlook, not the Express, to be started. The provider is waiting for the application (MS Outlook = the subsystem) to start.
So, this is normal plugin behavior. The main application must be running.
The best things in life are free.

jmt9455

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2004, 01:43:43 AM »
thank you.......
then i am presuming that with future updates, i will need to follow this same procedure.........

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2004, 02:09:56 AM »
Then i am presuming that with future updates, i will need to follow this same procedure.

Which one?
The authentication on email accounts shouldn't be a problem anymore  ??? ::)

jmt9455

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2004, 02:22:20 AM »
sorry for not being specific enough......
program updates when avast improves.......changes, etc.......

Crazy Canuck

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 07:51:09 PM »

Thanks for the response.  Now, here's the strange part of the story.  When I shut down last night, I left all the settings as default, which stopped my mail from loading.  It's now the next afternoon, the machine being in the off mode all this time.  I thought I would try one more time before loading this board, and wonders of wonder, it downloaded the mail it was rejecting last night.  Checked all my setting and nothing has change.  ??? ???  Do you techies have little imps working on our machines when we log off???

Well, here I am again. After shutting down for the day, and starting up this a.m., I have the same problem.  On it own accord, the d**n program changed it's settings again, AND I CAN'T RECIEVE E-MAIL again..  I don't know what to do now.  I love the program, (and the price) but don't know what to do next.  
H.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 08:42:25 PM »
Wait for Alwil...  ;D
Most probably they would release a new version (build) to solve the email problems  8)

chance

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2004, 04:01:29 AM »
Well, here I am again. After shutting down for the day, and starting up this a.m., I have the same problem.  On it own accord, the d**n program changed it's settings again, AND I CAN'T RECIEVE E-MAIL again.
.  I don't know what to do now.  I love the program, (and the price) but don't know what to do next.  
H.

First time on the forum and really like the program but:
After the auto upgrade I counld not recieve.  Played with it for 2 days then uninstalled and went back to 4.1.  Everything works just like 3 days ago.