Author Topic: Need to uninstall latest Mac beta (35600)  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Uh_Clem

Need to uninstall latest Mac beta (35600)
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
Just downloaded latest beta (35600), rebooted and tried to open Avast!.  Application will not initialize -- stuck in the "Initializing application..." message with the spinning beach ball of doom, so I can't use the built-in uninstall menu item.  Methinks this release was not quite ready for prime time. :(

System log repeats message "MacAvastHelper[174]: Error connecting to master socket: connect(): Connection refused" every 10-20 seconds until I force quit.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:33:34 PM by Uh_Clem »

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Need to uninstall latest Mac beta (35600)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
Hi Clem,

thanks for the report. At the moment we are really wondering what might lead to the behaviour you have described. We never saw anything like this during our internal testing.

We would appreciate if you could follow the steps below to dig some info about the issue?

(1) Reboot. Do not start the avast! GUI app. after the boot. Take a look if a directory /tmp/com.avast.MacAvast.lockdir exists and let us know.

(2) Type this command into Terminal.app and send us its output:
Code: [Select]
ps -avvvx
(3) If it does exist, there should be some file(s) /tmp/script.log-[number]. Send them to us please.

(4) If it does not exist, start the main avast! app., it will create one or more file(s) /tmp/script.log-[number]. Send them to us please.

(5) As an user with admin privilegues, type this command into Terminal.app and send us its output:
Code: [Select]
sudo find "/Library/Application Support/Avast/" -exec ls -ld {} \;(The command may ask for your password)

The info should also allow us to find out how to recover.

Thanks
Mity

Offline Uh_Clem

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
Hi Mity,

(That's "Uh_Clem", by the way.  American humor, ca. 1971, reference.)

In answer to your queries:

1)  Yes, the folder does exist (in HD/private/tmp).
2)  The output of the ps -avvvx is attached as ps_results.txt
3)  Two log files are attached.  (Had to append .txt or files wouldn't transmit.)
4)  See (3)
5)  The output of the sudo command is attached as sudo_results.txt

Back to you...

Uh_Clem, over

[Also, a minor quibble:  When I first attached the original script-log files to this reply, your system rejected my post since the files didn't have an approved file type.  When I changed the names, re-attached the files and tried again, I was told that it was a duplicate post and was again rejected.  I had to go back to the forum and start from scratch.]

Offline Uh_Clem

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:13 PM »
Taking a look at the script log, it appears that we're in an endless loop of trying to acquire an Avast lock, failing that it attempts to mkdir the com.avast.MacAvast.lockdir which, because it already exists, can't be created again and then it all repeats.

I would guess that deleting com.avast.MacAvast.lockdir would, at least temporarily, fix the problem (can't guess what would happen the next time I launched) but wouldn't tell me why this happened in the first place.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
Taking a look at the script log, it appears that we're in an endless loop of trying to acquire an Avast lock, failing that it attempts to mkdir the com.avast.MacAvast.lockdir which, because it already exists, can't be created again and then it all repeats.

I would guess that deleting com.avast.MacAvast.lockdir would, at least temporarily, fix the problem (can't guess what would happen the next time I launched) but wouldn't tell me why this happened in the first place.

Hallo,
the problem is nearly identified/solved. All what I need is confirmation from you.
So:

1) download the fixed package: http://public.avast.com/dev/mac-beta1/avast-35600-2.dmg
2) update (drag the new app to your Applications)
3) reboot, and after reboots, problems should be gone

Please, confirm.

Technical note: The problem was caused by some mis-interaction between your previous version and the latest one in Application. Normally, those problems are corrected upon first run, but you apparently rebooted w/o full first run (or, the first run wasn't completed for some reason). Now, this family of problems should be detected/corrected even upon bare reboot.
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline Uh_Clem

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 05:53:46 AM »
Much, much better now, thanks!