Author Topic: Avast fixing  (Read 15114 times)

DAV2

Avast fixing
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
Is there a way to fix Avast? It turns itself off and I can not get it to turn back on. I have Avast pasword protected. I tried repair, but it gave the same errors. (See attached) Also where does the backup via “Winmail” go and how would I stop it? Win 7.1 Avast 6.0.1289. Computer scans clean,  all drivers are digitally singed and sfc /scannow is clean. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:13:57 PM by DAV2 »

iyogisolutions1

Re: Avast fixing
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
Hi,

You have got the Side-by-Side error in your computer. This is mostly due to the corrupted Visual C++ Package in it.
   This is mainly due to failed Windows Updates. So what you need to do first is, to make sure that the Windows Updates are working fine.

You can follow the bellow work around to fix the issue.

1) Download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package.
 You will get two different packages for 32 bit and 64 bit. So make sure that you download the correct one.

For 32 bit machines.
   http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5582
 For 64 bit machines
   http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=2092

2) Click on Save File and save it to the desktop
3) Double click on the downloaded file (vcredist_x86.exe) or (vcredist_x64.exe)
4) Click on Run
5) Follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation process
6) Try to start the Avast, if error message still persist then follow the below steps

7) Click on Start and then click on My Computer 
8) Double click on Local Disk (C, and then click on the Make a new folder in the left pane
9) Copy the file you downloaded into this folder
10)Click on Start and then click on All programs
11)Click on Accessories and then right click on CMD and then click on Run as Administrator
12)In Command prompt, type cd \ms and press Enter
13)Type vcred.msi and press Enter
14)Installer package will install
15)Delete c:\ms folder.

Please update us back. Have a wonderful day..  Good Karma!

DAV2

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »
IYogi….., Thanks for your very knowelegable explanation. I will try your solution. Do you have any insight into my other question? (Also where does the backup via “Winmail” go and how would I stop it?) Thanks
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:08:46 PM by DAV2 »

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »
Hi DAV2,

The secondary issue seems to be co-related with the first one. We hope that, it will be fixed if you do the work around which we gave before.

About that Winmail issue. We need more clarity on the case. So can you please expalin what the actual issue is, so that we can help you better.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!

DAV2

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
Thanks again. “Source = ESENT “  “Event ID = 215”  ”WinMail (1920) WindowsMail0: The backup has stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.” That’s all I know about it. I do not have backup configured. Thanks again for your knowledgeable help.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
Hi DAV2.

We checked the event ID that you posted before and we found this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927654

Its seems to be a bug in the Windows. The article says there is nothing to worry about.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »
The first thing to try would be a system restore. Especially before going through a lot of needless work.
Always try the simple way first or you could be wasting your time on something that may not be the trouble.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

MAG

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:51:37 PM »
The first thing to try would be a system restore.
Well, maybe.

I've gotten into some very deep poo with system restore and avast (whether or not self defence module was active) in the past (and I seem to recall Logos or Tech also reporting problems).

Maybe it's ok now - I've never had the courage to try. :-\
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:19:10 PM by mag »

Nesivos

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
The first thing to try would be a system restore. Especially before going through a lot of needless work.
Always try the simple way first or you could be wasting your time on something that may not be the trouble.  :)

My experience with W7 is that restoring the "Last Known Good Configuration" works a lot better than just a plain restore.  This makes sense since the last backup may not have been a good one and so you could be restoring junk on top of junk.  In addition IMO doing a regular restore can lead to timing issues.  One time when I used the regular restore the avast updates were all all out wack and it was not that simple a matter to get avast back in sync again.   

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:08:34 PM »
I must be weird. I have never had an issue with system restore. I am, however, very careful about selecting my restore point. With Win7 system restore goes back only about a month. We don't know what OS the OP is using. I wish we did know.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

MAG

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »

DAV2

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
IYogi, Thanks for the knowledgeable help. I decided to reload Win 7.1 because sfc /scannow started to fail, instead of following your instructions, that probably would have helped. Now with a new load of Win 7.1 and only accessing update and installing Avast, Avast finds a virus (confirmed by virus total as virus/Trojan). When I delete it to recycle bin, it seems to change its name and recycle bin refuses to delete it because it says it is in use by another program. How should I proceed? It took me days to get this far with an almost working load of Win 7.1 that has all drivers digitally signed and sfc /scannow verifies. Thanks.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »
Hi DAV2

Can you update us the file name you said as trojan. Or if possible, can you upload the log file that you get after the scan from virustotal.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma! :)

DAV2

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »
IYogi, the file (s) are CrucialScan.exe and $RLYWJLC.exe.  I will have to reload it to virus total to get some sort of copy of the log, but from memory, it was only 3/about 40 something as virus/Trojan with Avast being one of the positives. CrucialScan.exe has been on the computer for about a year without any detection by Avast until this reload. I am sorry that I do not know what is going on, but that is why I am asking for your knowledgeable input. Thanks.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »
Hi DAV2.

About the CrucialScan.exe, it is a False Positive. You can refer to this forum post regrading the issue.

hxxp://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=87925.0

About $RLYWJLC.exe, we need more info. Is that .exe file is with any application in the computer. Can you update the location of the file.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma! :)