Author Topic: Avast fixing  (Read 15053 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast fixing
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »
Check scan the CrucialScan.exe again and report ?

There was an instance of this yesterday and I don't know if it was on an old version of the file or not as I was able to download it, run it without problem.

I would say download the latest version from the crucial site if you have need of it, otherwise there is little point in keeping the copy you have.

@ iYogisolutions1
There is no confirmation of that being an FP in that topic (as I didn't get an alert) and there is no need to break internal avast links (only for suspect sites).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DAV2

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 03:37:56 PM »
Original location was \$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3658569426-2256287987-2341992191-1000 and it apparently is in the virus chest, but Recyclebin would still not delete it, because another program was using it. I think it was CrucialScan.exe before I deleted it.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
Hi DAV2,

Yes, $RLYWJLC.exe can be a handle .exe file for CrucialScan.exe. As David R posted before, you can download the latest version of Crusial Scan and try out.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma! :)

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
@DAV2,

If the file is still there and you can't delete it, try to reboot and try to delete it from recycle bin again.

If that is not enough, then reboot into Windows Safe Mode and try to delete it again. Then program a boot scan using Avast and report your results here.

DAV2

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »
Thanks. After removing the culprits from the virus chest, I can now go back to trying to figure out what is interfering with all the security cameras. After an expert failed to get them to work after 8 hours of trying and stating simply to replace the hardware (that all was functional independently), I am back to basically where I started before the hardware replacement. Something is still interfering with all the cameras. (Back to the expert?)  I still do not know how Avast flagged an old file as positive, after ignoring it for nearly a year. In any case I never used it and have no need for a replacement. Thanks for all the help.(Maybe some of your knowledge will rub off on us ignorant with time.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
What do you mean by "trying to figure out what is interfering with all the security cameras." e.g. what is interfering, do you mean you can't display the feed to the computer, etc. (or is this unrelated to avast) ?

The virus database is constantly updated and added to, so it isn't unusual to find an old dormant file being detected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DAV2

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »
I am very disgusted with my knowledge level. I have tried many firewalls and have learned that they all get turned off. The latest was Comodo with the message click to fix me, but no explanation as to why or how to prevent it again. Is a firewall even needed, especially since I haven't found one that consistently works? Also is it normal for Avast to now report that the files that it put into its virus chest are now without virus? Thanks. (Sorry, I do not know if it is Avast, or for that mater what is causing all the cameras to not display and for that mater, even the expert after 8 hours of trying. Just expressing some of my frustration. Avast and all firewalls never blocked the cameras before.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:55:27 PM by DAV2 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
Firewalls getting turned off is unusual and the most common cause is malware as they don't want to be blocked. A firewall is an essential part of your system security, the win7 one is better than nothing, but outbound protection is disabled by default it is rules based and you have to create the rules so isn't very user friendly.

You say in other posts scans come up clean, what scanners have you used ?
Try MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM), On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later. Download, Install, Update, run a Quick scan and post the contents of the log file.

As I said before the virus database is constantly updated and added to; this can be because of a false positive detection and the signature would be corrected. This is why it is important not to delete files, but send to the chest and rescan them after a few weeks. If they are no longer detected then they can be restored from the chest.

Presumably your cctv cameras use software to stream the content to your computer ?
If so they would have an IP address (?), this could be excluded from the web shield scanning or there is another option:
-  Try opening the avastUI, Real_Time Shields, Web Shield, Expert Settings, and check the 'Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only,' option.

Note: If you break your posts up into sections it is much easier for us to read' help and reply.

DAV2

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 05:49:05 PM »
David, thanks for your knowledgeable suggestion. Thanks for the info on Malwarebytes. Yes, I do run it. Latest scan said Objects infected: 0.
Sorry about all the disorder. Avast was updated at least 1 time between the sequestering of the files yesterday PM and the all clear today AM. This still does not explain the virus total results, nor the flagging right after new reload of Win with the same version of Avast that did not see it before reload. I reloaded Avast from a thumbdrive.
I tried your fix of checking 'Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only,', unfortunately, something else must still be blocking all the cameras.
Yes, being without much knowledge, paranoia abounds and malware does come to mind when I see all firewalls turned off at will. Thanks for all your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »
I don't believe the files placed in the chest would have anything to do with the inability to view the cctv content.  Have you ever been able to view the cctv content (prior to these detections or prior to avast) ?

I see nothing in this topic about virustotal results, so I can't comment, I'm not even sure what it is in relation to either. Again I don't know what file you are talking about, reloading windows doesn't remove the existing programs and data unless you have it format the drive, otherwise it just installs windows over the old version. Plus there is no mention of any windows files having been detected, so I'm unable to comment without more details.

But it seems we are diving off at a tangent and not concentration on the existing problem rather than historic events.

ady4um

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
I reloaded Avast from a thumbdrive.
???
I tried your fix of checking 'Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only,', unfortunately, something else must still be blocking all the cameras.

Well, installing several security tools, as for example several firewall tools, all simultaneously or even one after the other, is not going to make things any easier, to say the least. Even after uninstalling, some remnants may be left behind, and that's why there are specific removal utilities for specific security tools.

Yes, being without much knowledge, paranoia abounds and malware does come to mind when I see all firewalls turned off at will. Thanks for all your help.

As David suggested, this topic is all mixed with very different issues. If you really want a working solution, I would suggest some friend or technician that could at least leave your system in a working state. You are welcome to keep asking here, and I'm sure we will try to help, but the fact is that there is some limit about how much directions, instructions and general help can be provided by means of a forum topic.

Please, don't get me wrong. Keep asking whatever you want and need, and we'll try to help anyway we can. I just think that it could be more effective if you get a direct help from someone with direct access to your system (although not everyone might be fit to the specific task).

Jack 1000

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
Why not just uninstall Avast from Add/Remove Programs?

Than download and run the complete Avast Uninstall Utility Here: (Follow the instructions exactly.)

http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

Than get a fresh download of Avast at www.avast.com

Register for your license key.

It sounds like a complete removal and reinstall of the product might be needed as previous options for fixing Avast have not worked.

Jack

DAV2

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »
I apologize for my ignorance and yes I will be in contact with “expert” on site help in the near future, but since “something” had changed the name of a suspect file (virus/Trojan?) and was preventing my deleting it, I felt compelled to inquire. It isn’t very often that a suspect file (virus/Trojan?) changes its name and refuses to be deleted, so I was wondering if this was normal “Avast” behavior or if there was another process on the computer that would be changing the file’s (virus/Trojan?) name and opening it so as to prevent my deleting it. Sorry about bringing up the cameras, but that is still a mystery to me.
Yes, the file was confirmed on virus total, but with a very low score and Avast cleared it (?) with its very next update (or was another process rehiding it after reboot?) In any case I was looking for “expert” advice on how to interpret a file that “Avast” was calling a virus, virus total was confirming, its name was changing like a chameleon and “something” was preventing me from deleting it. Thanks for all your help
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:48:03 PM by DAV2 »

DAV2

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 06:07:59 PM »
Well I hope that by your silence here that all the experts are confirming that everything sited above is "NORMAL" Avast behavior. Apparently Avast does flag files that it does not see with a previous load of Win, that are confirmed by VT, that names are changed and prevented from deletion by Avast. Then Avast clears them all with next reboot of computer. BTW, I got the cameras to work on one test computer that I applied your fix on and installed a better firewall. They even no longer give the multisecond delay as before but show real live data. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »
It is more of we really don't know that this is normal, certainly in my case.

You have only mentioned two file names, CrucialScan.exe, which I though we had thrashed to within an inch of its life, now you have removed it that should be it.

The other file toy mentioned was $RLYWJLC.exe and I can' find zero information on it or on RLYWJLC.exe (dropping the $ from the name).

So I really don't understand what it is that you are trying to say by this:
Quote from: DAV2
but since “something” had changed the name of a suspect file (virus/Trojan?) and was preventing my deleting it, I felt compelled to inquire. It isn’t very often that a suspect file (virus/Trojan?) changes its name and refuses to be deleted,

- Nothing has previously been mentioned about file names being changed so what is it change to and what is its location?
- What is the precise wording of any error message ?