Author Topic: 6.0.1289 not updating XP SP3  (Read 3464 times)

norel

6.0.1289 not updating XP SP3
« on: October 29, 2011, 01:09:41 AM »
Hey all, I recently reinstalled Windows XP SP3 32bit on a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop. Installed latest Avast! Free 6.0.1289 and was able to get it updated through Add/Remove Programs. Since then updates have been hit and miss. Today it won't update at all. It gets to Step 1/1 Downloading file: vps_32-614.vpx then stalls. I've tried auto update, manual, and Add/Remove Programs and it always stalls. Repairing is futile because repair tries to update and that stalls too. Everything's configured like our Emachines desktop which is also XP SP3 32bit and it updates okay, but it's had Avast since version 5. In Windows Firewall I have exceptions of AvastSvc.exe and AvastUI.exe. I'm able to connect to Windows Updates and update okay. Anyone have any ideas what could be interfering? Thanks.

iyogisolutions1

Re: 6.0.1289 not updating XP SP3
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »
Hi norel,

You can try this..

Open the avast! GUI -> settings -> updates -> no proxy (direct connection).

Please save the settings and try to update. Hope the issue will be fixed.
     Update us back about the results.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!

alpha1

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:50:08 AM »
maybe add another exception to firewall: avast.setup

norel

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
It's set to Direct Connection. We don't use a Proxy and that's where our Emachines is set and it seems to work good for it.

I couldn't get it to let me add avast.setup. I did add ashUP.exe, the updater, but that didn't make any difference, at least for manual updates. I might set it automatic now and see if does anything. the thing is though, when I turn the firewall off it still doesn't update.  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:47:04 AM »
Please, upload (attach) the avast log:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\Setup.log
or C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:20:26 AM »
A couple of comments.

After the repair (of Avast), you need to reboot immediately. If you repair and you test the update again without rebooting, it won't work.

Once you reboot, please don't force the update. While having the update settings in "automatic" for engine and definitions updates, let Avast update itself, and only check the result of the update after 10 minutes after the reboot.

Disabling the firewall is not enough. You should delete the firewall rules, reboot and re-create them.

The process that should be allowed by the firewall (if needed, since in many cases it is not even needed) for updates is avast.setup, which needs to include "*" since the exact location may vary from update to update. For Windows Firewall, this is usually not needed, so clean all the Avast related rules and reboot (with no new rules).

You can also check:

Avast main GUI -> Settings -> troubleshooting -> "Load Avast! services only after loading other system services", then save and reboot.

Please report back.

Rayhan Al Munna

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:30:05 AM »
YES  ;)! my problem solve . From second comment @iYogisolutions1