Author Topic: my avast sheilds won't turn on  (Read 21498 times)

norel

Re: my avast sheilds won't turn on
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 11:11:19 PM »
I spoke too soon. I just updated for the second time today and this time it stalled. I think it may be one of my other startup programs. I'll just have to disable them one by one and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll check Microsoft for updates. iYogisolutions1, I checked msconfig like you said and hid the Microsoft services. I didn't see anything that looks like an antivirus. There was only Avast and four others. Three of them don't start and the other one was Java Quick Starter plugin for Firefox.

ady4um

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 03:38:14 AM »
There was only Avast and four others. Three of them don't start and the other one was Java Quick Starter plugin for Firefox.

So, from your description, it seems it is not only Avast not starting. Which other programs or processes or services are not starting?

BTW, use Windows Update to install all available updates, reboot and test again and again Windows Update until, after a reboot and "check for new updates", shows no new Windows updates available.

Do you have already Windows registration validated? Please check again this item before responding (since many user don't know that they need to re-validate after some updates).

If you try to re-install Avast, please be SURE that you download the latest stable version available from the official site only.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:42:39 AM by ady4um »

norel

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »
Finally I think it's fixed. I disabled ctfmon.exe from Startup in msconfig, which I didn't need anyway, and installed .NET Framework. I'm not sure which one made the difference but it's been working good for a couple of days so I'm a happy camper. Many thanks to all who helped me get it sorted out. :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »
I disabled ctfmon.exe from Startup in msconfig, which I didn't need anyway, and installed .NET Framework. I'm not sure which one made the difference but it's been working good for a couple of days so I'm a happy camper.

Well, neither action you mentioned should make a difference.
Anyway, as it works now, no need to dig deeper here... ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0