Author Topic: Firefox 8, it's that time again  (Read 24254 times)

FlyingRobot

Re: Firefox 8, it's that time again
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 05:02:57 AM »

My computers are using FF 8.0 B6 at least for the next few hours.

WebRep works just fine on them. :)

If WebRep is [uninstalled then] installed via the avast interface, is Firefox 8 keeping it disabled until the user approves the add-on?

Tetsuo

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »
If WebRep is [uninstalled then] installed via the avast interface, is Firefox 8 keeping it disabled until the user approves the add-on?

I think so,  but a confirmation from the beta-users is needed.

Version 8.0

- Add-ons installed by third-party programs are now disabled by default
- Added a one-time add-on selection dialog to manage previously installed add-ons

In the typing of this post, Chrome has issued 4 version updates. ;D

what is really odd is that a lot of computer savvy users do enjoy this "permanent beta status" and from time to time they even ask for a similar update cycle in AV software (e.g two weeks after a new version of Avast! has been released they start asking for the next one).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 02:02:24 PM by Tetsuo »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »
Interesting that the Thunderbird update came through (or at least the notification of it) before Firefox this time around.  Naturally enough, I got the Firefox one just as I opened this thread to read it.

No problems with extensions or add-ons this time around, not surprising if there's that little difference between 7 and 8.  Don't personally know about WebRep, since (as I'd mentioned elsewhere) I'd already disabled that anyway ages ago as useless until it becomes a proper security tool.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Nesivos

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 05:07:42 AM »
Interesting that the Thunderbird update came through (or at least the notification of it) before Firefox this time around.  Naturally enough, I got the Firefox one just as I opened this thread to read it.

No problems with extensions or add-ons this time around, not surprising if there's that little difference between 7 and 8.  Don't personally know about WebRep, since (as I'd mentioned elsewhere) I'd already disabled that anyway ages ago as useless until it becomes a proper security tool.

I wouldn't call this "very little difference between 7 and 8", but that's just me.

What’s New in Firefox

The latest version of Firefox has the following changes:

Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default
    Added a one-time add-on selection dialog to manage previously installed add-ons
    Added Twitter to the search bar for select locales. Additional locale support will be added in the future
    Added a preference to load tabs on demand, improving start-up time when windows are restored
    Improved performance and memory handling when using <audio> and <video> elements
    Added CORS support for cross-domain textures in WebGL
    Added support for HTML5 context menus
    Added support for insertAdjacentHTML
    Improved CSS hyphen support for many languages
    Improved WebSocket support
    Fixed several stability issues
    Fixed several security issues

Please see the complete list of changes in this version. Web and extension developers should also view the curated list of platform changes. You may also be interested in the list of changes in the previous version.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/8.0/releasenotes/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
<snip>
No problems with extensions or add-ons this time around, not surprising if there's that little difference between 7 and 8.  Don't personally know about WebRep, since (as I'd mentioned elsewhere) I'd already disabled that anyway ages ago as useless until it becomes a proper security tool.

The webrep falls under third party add-ons and would be covered by the new options:
- Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default
- Added a one-time add-on selection dialog to manage previously installed add-ons

So for those that are using the webrep the selection dialog is how it would be enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
WebRep works fine in FF8.

In mine also. ???
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:58:44 PM by jadinolf »
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
But only if you checked it as an option, by default it would be disabled as a 3rd party add-on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
But only if you checked it as an option, by default it would be disabled as a 3rd party add-on.

So, it's OK?
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »
Working here, no problems at all.
The best things in life are free.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »
Working here, no problems at all.

+1

FlyingRobot

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »
FWIW, the reason I asked whether a new installation of WebRep is handled properly (whether it is, as one would expect from the Firefox 8 release notes, disabled by default until approved through Firefox) is because some software developers are not happy about features which impede the silent install of addons.  I've even seen some discuss possible ways to bypass this Firefox 8 feature.  If the software developer is developing software that will only be installed on their own machines (corporate environment for example) that is one thing.  However, some of the folks discussing bypass options were developing third-party applications.  That, combined with the theoretical possibility of some limitation or bug in the Firefox 8 implementation, makes me think it would be wise to double check the behavior when third-party software installs an addon.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »

So, it's OK?

Yes, it's fine.  If you didn't checkmark WebRep on restart of Firefox 8 after updating, it will be disabled.  Then, if you want WebRep, all you have to do is open Firefox Add-ons and enable it.

What I find odd is in Firefox, Add-ons include extensions, themes, and plugins.  However, I was never asked about my plugins.  In the one Firefox profile that has another theme, it was disabled and the Firefox 8 theme became default.  There are threads on mozillazine about the theme issue.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
If you didn't checkmark WebRep on restart of Firefox 8 after updating, it will be disabled.  Then, if you want WebRep, all you have to do is open Firefox Add-ons and enable it.
Strange, mine got checked and enabled all the time, before and after the update... ???

In the one Firefox profile that has another theme, it was disabled and the Firefox 8 theme became default. 
Yes, that happened.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:15 PM »
I think on all the recent firefox updates, certainly for 6&7 on my system it has defaulted (no pun intended) to the firefox default theme.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 03:06:17 AM »
I think on all the recent firefox updates, certainly for 6&7 on my system it has defaulted (no pun intended) to the firefox default theme.

Firefox 8 is the first time for me with a theme change.  I added the other theme shortly after Firefox 4 came out.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner