Author Topic: Help for the novice users!!  (Read 3556 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

Help for the novice users!!
« on: November 16, 2004, 06:14:19 PM »
Hi!!
 I was excited to hear about the new version so I updated it last night, I get my mail through Outlook Express, and noticed that there wasn't any scanning activity showing on my screen, went to the provider screen Internet mail says it waiting for a subsystem, and there is no OutlookEspress provider!!! Only Outlook/Exchange which I previously disabled since I wasn't using it.  I enabled it and now  it says that it is waiting for a subsytem to start also!!!!  What subsystem are they waiting for??!!!

I really regret updating now, because I am extremely uncomfortable when it comes to configuration. I got this p.c. from someone who lost the program disk (2000 Professional) so I get as nervous as a chicken in a fox's den when I have to.  What is the simplest solution to this new problem.  (I am getting mail and sending but there is no scanning and I don't like being unprotectec) is the scanning stealth now?  What's up!!  I'm on the verge of just removing and reinstalling, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Help for the novice users!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 06:17:14 PM »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Neron

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 06:20:38 PM »
There is no need to uninstall avast.About your question i don't know but it is much-better to use intenet mail like yahoo.com.
I'm sure that someone else will tell you more about  that but,be patient

SCORPIONINBLUE

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 06:44:41 PM »
I stopped using Yahoo because I don't trust Norton's protection, I set up the Outlook account so I could use Avast and was totally satified with the actual scanning of the each message before I could touch it, whatever was infected or suspicious I would delete as soon as I heard the warning, you don't get that with Yahoo/Norton!!  Now the reply i got from Vik is of no use to me because of my anxiousness with configuring so I'll sweat it out by myself!!  I'll try and figure it out but I sure I'm not the only one who is writing in!!  Remember those of you who are 'seasoned' computerphiles that there are many who are as intimidated by computers as you are comfortable with them!!
Scorpioninblue

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 06:50:55 PM »
it says that it is waiting for a subsytem to start also!!!!  What subsystem are they waiting for??!!!
Does it change when you start OE?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 06:52:30 PM »
C'mon, it's not that hard. Just replace a couple of files and everything is OK... I guess you can use the Explorer, can't you?

Don't worry, you'll handle it. 8)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

SCORPIONINBLUE

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 07:00:12 PM »
I took the advice of the other user and restarted the mail provider, nothing happened initially, but later as I was writing a reply back I heard the Outlook alert and saw the scanning message on my screen, I went back to check the provider and it's running now!!  I'm sorry but that other option was out of the question!!