Author Topic: Safe Mode vs Avast  (Read 3557 times)

songbird72884

Safe Mode vs Avast
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »
I'm wanting to know if there's any way to run Avast in safe mode on Vista. To be precise, I'm not looking for ways to scan my computer, more to actually run it as protection as I would do in normal mode.

The reason for this is that, for some reason, I'm unable to boot into Normal Mode, at least not functionally. When I do so, I only get a black screen (my desktop is black) with the taskbar's outline along the bottom, but no clock or anything. If I hover over or click anything's usual location that would normally bring up a menu (eg the Start menu, system tray etc) I see an outline come up, but nothing within it. This is in addition to other issues I've had recently with the screen freezing/ going black, distorting, etc. In an attempt to find out what the issue is, I booted into Safe Mode and found that the issue doesn't occur at all, so I'm attempting to figure out causes/ fixes for the problem. However, until it's fixed, I can't use Normal Mode and therefore don't have Avast running as normal. Is there any way around the problem to allow Avast to behave as normal in Safe Mode?

Gargamel360

Re: Safe Mode vs Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
No, sorry, Avast! can't actively run in safe mode, it needs parts of Windows that are not running there to work fully.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »
It requires service and drivers to be loaded, impossible to do at Safe Mode.
You need (should) correct your Windows installation as Safe Mode is only for emergencies and not daily usage.
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »
Haven't tried, but not even on-demand only? It used to work with 4.x as far as i can remember.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »
Haven't tried, but not even on-demand only? It used to work with 4.x as far as i can remember.
It works on demand (scanning, interface), but the OP wants it run protecting.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
About the root of the display problem, of course this might be realted to malware, but my bet is on corruption of display drivers using the current display resolution of Normal Mode.

Under Safe Mode, using Device Manager change your display monitor to the default safe built-in monitor of MS Windows, and set it to a low resolution and color deep (nothing more than 1024x768, and I would choose even lower, with 16bit = 65536 colors).

Try to select a default basic graphic card, as you did with the display monitor, instead of the normal device.

Now reboot into Normal Mode TWICE. Is it working? Download the latest stable correct drivers for the correct devices and the correct OS. Install and reboot. Reconfigure the display and reboot again.