Author Topic: Can I shutdown avast completely?  (Read 5076 times)

identitycrisisuk

Can I shutdown avast completely?
« on: January 30, 2005, 11:56:02 PM »
I've noticed that Avast's on access scanner does not show up in the close program dialog (Win 98) and that when you right click and choose Stop On-Access Protection in the taskbar the icon stays there rather than exiting completely. Is there any way that you can shut it down?

I only ask as my computer's a bit slow and if I want to do anything where I want all focus to be given to one task, like recording a long section of audio, I usually shut down every program I can get away with, inc my firewall, spyware scanner. But I'm assuming Avast is still doing something then, I think one time it tried to check for an update as it brought up the dial up connection box (I am on ADSL but BT still goes through the dial up process). If I didn't realise this it would be a bit worrying to be connected to the internet with no protection of any kind. I could temporarily edit my startup options or avast's update settings but I wondered if there was anything less fiddly I could do.

lee16

Re: Can I shutdown avast completely?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 12:39:09 AM »
This is the way avast is set up.

Well i suppose you could kill the avast processes in the taskmanager if you really wanted, but you would have to restart your computer to get avast working again.

--lee

inthewildteam

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 12:53:01 AM »
@ identitycrisisuk

I've never used avast! with 98, but from my memory using that o.s and burning cd's or any memory or cpu intensive task it was always best to reboot first and kill any processes not needed before starting Nero etc.

This probably doesn't answer your question directly, but might help, as avast! would have checked and downloaded any updates.  You can then dis-connect from the web and following lee16's instructions ..... disable as many programmes as possible.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 01:43:48 AM »
I think the best is doing exactly stopping on-access protection in the taskbar...
The icon does not take that much resources... any scanning is interrupted... Are you sure you must kill all the processes in background?
I don't use Windows 98 anymore but for what I remember, it was not that bad that only the icon staying there will bring that much trouble...
The best things in life are free.

identitycrisisuk

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 02:29:04 AM »
Yeah, I don't think the icon is doing anything really, it was just the one time it tried to connect to the internet that it scared me a little. Just looking in the program settings, there are some options about Updating, 'I only connect through dial up' and 'I am permanently connected'. Neither of these are ticked, will one of these ensure that it will not try to look for updates if there is not a connection already available?

It doesn't show up in task manager (Close program dialog in 98, I don't know if that's exactly the same thing) so I'll have to use msconfig to make sure it doesn't load in and then restart the computer if I really don't want it. Like I said I don't think avast itself causes that much of a memory hog or whatever but if I have my firewall and spyware stuff active as well I always get stutters in my recordings.

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 02:36:24 AM »
@  identitycrisisuk

apart from speed and "stuttering" problems  make sure any drive you are using is

1  not your system drive (or a partition of it)

2  fastest available for storage

in 98 ........ reboot to maximise available resources and memory

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 03:09:34 AM »
Will one of these ensure that it will not try to look for updates if there is not a connection already available?

In fact not... you should check dial up so avast will look each 4 hours if you need an update.
avast seeks for a connection each 40 seconds.
So the option is set the update (program and VPS) to MANUAL.
The best things in life are free.

CleanaZ

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 12:51:19 AM »
Hi,

try using the avast! External Control v1.6

Here's a short description:
===================
avast! External Control (AEC) tool was designed to extend  avast! Antivirus functionality and security.
AEC gives you almost full control over avast! Home Edition or Professional Edition.
You can fully disable/enable and Auto-Restart avast!, change update and VRDB generation intervals, tweak many hidden settings and view detailed avast! Antivirus status.
External avast! component launcher gives you ability to scan files externally or even schedule Boot-Time scan directly from AEC. avast! Status Info function can be used to dump status log, so Alwil staff can easily help you on avast! Forums. Most functions is limited to Windows 2000/XP only.

AEC is a standalone application (extract&use) with integrated Smart Auto-Update feature
====================

so long