Author Topic: Skin selection when installing  (Read 9435 times)

Fract504

Skin selection when installing
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:24:40 PM »
Hello,

I read about some users getting a little bit "confused", when they see avast starting with the default skin. Because of the skin, they think avast is just a toy or not a kind of "serious" software.

I would suggest to offer an option in the installation of avast.
The user should decide, if he wants to have avast started with a skin or not. The default selection should be "No Skin" of course, so avast can present itself in the "corporate" feeling and does not "disturb" some certain users.

Personally I think the default skin is quite cool and I like it very much.

What do the others think?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 11:24:59 PM by Fract504 »

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Skin selection when installing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 01:18:14 AM »
Of course that's only your subjective opinion. There is a lot of users that would like to see avast! using skins. Most of skins I made at avast! users requests (do I have to remind that I did everything for free as part of my good will, and my appreciation to Alwil and their genorous freeware version of best antivirus ever ?).

Bottom line, one of the main persons in Alwil Software, VLK is the one that suggested all those "weird" skins. He wants to see avast! looks like antivirus of different kind. Think different...

avast! is great with or without skins, nothing can change that. So, why should one worry about that ? You always have option to disable skins if you don't like them, but telling that this should be default... well, not likely it's gonna happen ever  ;) It's good enough that Alwil offered "disable skins" in version 4.5, don't you think ?

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 01:26:06 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 01:22:16 AM »
Because of the skin, they think avast is just a toy or not a kind of "serious" software.
I doubt that any user thinks it is a toy. They know they've downloaded and installed a av application and not a game ;)

And in the unlikely case someone doesn't know it... What the heck is (s)he doing with a computer anyway......

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 02:39:37 AM »
A skinable application is better, available to be customized...
Why do people think it's not professional?
Why don't these people marry with a fat, ugly and not stylish women?  ;D
The best things in life are free.

neal62

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 02:44:14 AM »
I believe that most of the members of this forum like the default skin and DO NOT think that Avast is a toy. I believe the skins that are offered add much to the desireability of this program compared to other AV products that do not even offer choices of skins. ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 02:50:17 AM »
Exactly my point Neal... the key word is

..:: CHOICES ::..

We have choice and that's best feature any application could have... we have choice to make our antivirus looks the way we want it to look on our desktops... If someone wants his antivirus to look like "nothing" or transparent... I can make that too... in fact, I just made TRANSLUCENT SKIN for avast! Screenshot is attached  ;D  ;D  ;D

Comments are always welcome... bad or good, doesn't matter.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 02:56:41 AM »
The desireability of this program compared to other AV products that do not even offer choices of skins. ;)

Not only that... this is the most configurable antivirus I have ever used. Fully customizable  8)
The best things in life are free.

CoJo

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 03:04:15 AM »
I believe that most of the members of this forum like the default skin and DO NOT think that Avast is a toy. I believe the skins that are offered add much to the desireability of this program compared to other AV products that do not even offer choices of skins. ;)

Good point, Neal...and I fully agree.
cojo

niko

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 08:50:11 AM »
Maybe some users don't like Avast! skins...perhaps they enjoy viruses !
Skin or not skin, to be or not to be... ;D

housi

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 09:09:12 AM »
We have choice and that's best feature any application could have... we have choice to make our antivirus looks the way we want it to look on our desktops
My opinion. Personally I like the MacLoverOS-Skin. This not depends from "Mac", pershaps the look depends on the age of the user, and with my 62 years ......  ;D
Regards
housi

Fract504

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 10:07:04 AM »
Please don't get me wrong. I am totally happy that avast supports skins. But it made me somehow sad seeing users discarding the application only because of the appearance.

I must admid that at first I was also a little bit confused.
An antivirus application using skins... Strange....

But then I looked for 1 hour through all the options and settings and capabilities of avast. And then I just thought:
THIS IS IT!

Avast is cool and technically advanced. And if some users don't get it, they should go and use inferior technology.  8)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 12:01:04 PM »
Plus... avast! is "pretty" too, because of the skins. Skins make application much more user friendly. Why Windows migrated from Win 9.11 to Windows that we all know today ? Windows is serious (like it or not) OS, so why skinning Windows ? Because it looks better. Why we don't drive ugly cars like people used to drive 50 years ago ? Because we are entering new era... design is moving forward. If other antiviruses can not follow this, it's thier loss, not ours. We have one of the most powerful antivirus tools out there, and I believe (modest or immodest, doesn't matter...) it's looks good.

Now, look at this one... my favorite one. I was so happy when I finished it, and I've noticed great feedback from avast! users as well... Does this skin makes avast! non-professional and non-serious antivirus tool ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 12:01:47 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Fract504

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 12:21:08 PM »
Your skin looks pretty cool! It fits very good to the XP-Style.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 12:25:14 PM »
And also, you can check Flat'n'Simple (Win9x style), Corporate (easy pastel colors), Lite-On (another pro looking skin) and many others... everyone has a choice and that's best of all. We are not forcing anyone to use them, it would be unfair to users, but we gave you oportunity to change the look of your avast, just in case you want to do that, the way you would like to see your antivirus look like.

Good thing is, we also have DISABLE skins option in avast! v 4.5, so something for anyone.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 12:26:49 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 01:43:10 PM »
Fract504 - We forgot to Welcome you to these forums... so, WELCOME and I'm sure you'll find great bunch of people around here. We are greatest little family around...

I like your avatar, nothing is wrong with it. It's just I though you may wanna like to have animated avatar... I make avatars for many of my forum friends, and I made something for you as well. If you don't like it, it's simple... just ignore it, no hard feelings...

Please go here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=8837

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 01:44:35 PM by S.Z.Craftec »