Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - 6.0.1351 **  (Read 59722 times)

Nesivos

Re: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - 6.0.1351 **
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2011, 12:27:53 AM »
I have never been too big on laws and rules.

But there really needs to be a law in the computer world that prevents Friday releases of software.

Avast join the crowd of releasing garbage on Friday.

AIS just popped up and said I have an update to install.  I thought maybe there was a quick fix on a problem with with 6.0.1351.  So I clicked yes apply the update to the program.  AIS applies the update that it was recommending.  Then it says you must restart which I did.

After all the programs loaded on the restart I checked AIS to see what the new program number was and low and behold

The GUI updater reverted AIS back to 6.0.1289.

I checked the program and it was or is indeed 6.0.1289.

At least the reversion process didn't wipe out all my personal settings which I more than I can say for the installer update.

That ought to be a law.

No Friday software update releases.   SMH.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:30:31 AM by Nesivos »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2011, 12:32:04 AM »
Mmm, reading everything I think I will stay with 6.0.1289 for now.

Chicken?  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Nesivos

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2011, 12:33:44 AM »

Chicken?  ;D

No smart. ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2011, 12:36:17 AM »

But there really needs to be a law in the computer world that prevents Friday releases of software.

<snip>

A Friday you say, many avast releases have happened on a Saturday and some on Sunday.

Garbage you say, a bit strong, if you can't accept the anomalies of beta testing then don't join in.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
When I used to work before I retired and worked in IT if the powers to be decided to do a Friday update to software I would always leave my office phone off the hook on Monday's or call in sick :o

When I used to work and worked in Accounting I would always ask my source in IT if they were planning a Friday release.  If they were I used to call in sick the following Monday morning and either stroll in in the afternoon or on Tuesdays. :)

Friday releases of software updates.  There ought be a law.  SMH

orientfan

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »

<snip>

A Friday you say, many avast releases have happened on a Saturday and some on Sunday.

Garbage you say, a bit strong, if you can't accept the anomalies of beta testing then don't join in.

I left it alone until at least a couple of pages feedback. At which point I saw there were issues so didn't install (my main reason was for checking the anti-spam engine update).

As DavidR says, if you install beta software you have to expect issues, preferably take an image of your PC beforehand so you can roll back. Beta software is at best to invite feedback, normally to roll out post alpha software that needs wider testing.

Constructive posts are welcome I would have though (module, issue etc.)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »

Chicken?  ;D

No smart. ;D
Maybe? Cautious? Yes!  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2011, 12:48:11 AM »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Nesivos

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2011, 12:49:40 AM »

<snip>

It has nothing to do with Saturday or Sunday releases.   I have never found a problem with those.  It is only Friday releases.

Secondly.  I wouldn't pay for an avast! license if I didn't trust them.  So I trust avast!

It has nothing to do with Beta anomalies.  It has to do with Friday releases.

I have seen RTW releases on Friday that have an unusually high amount of bugs in them because IMO the release was on Friday.  

I worked long enough in IT departments including managing them and in Accounting to know that Beta, schmeta, RTW, RTM, Alpha what have you.  If it is released on Friday then forget it.   Fortunately this was only a Beta release.   I strongly suggest to Avast that they avoid putting out any RTW or RTM on Fridays.   Maybe it is IT Karma.  I am not going to get into why it happens but it just does.

I will grant you that it was my bad to begin with and I should have passed on it because it was released on Friday, not because it is a Beta.  SMH

Maybe there is a reason that Microsoft does their monthly updates on a Tuesday and not on Friday.  Friday bad IT Karma, just plain bad IT Karma.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2011, 02:03:58 AM »
Updated from 6.0.1289 Free on Win7 32bit. Something go wrong ;D

- Shield settings are remained.
- Main Settings are gone.
- Autosandbox is there.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:08:54 AM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2011, 02:52:35 AM »
I really doubt that the software cares what day it is. Whether it's friday or week from tuesday it just doesn't matter. A bug/glitch can happen any day of the week.  :)

Tetsuo

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2011, 03:06:34 AM »
Hi, could someone please post a screenshot of the new Web Shield options?

DavidR has already posted screenshots of Script Shield and Popups settings - many thanks, David - however, not sure if at the moment there are other new options.

GTX66

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2011, 04:14:33 AM »
You guys can do as you please. I have tested many Beta programs including Windows Vista, 7 Firefox and I have never seen a Beta update itself backwards. I will go back to the stable version and check back here Monday.

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2011, 04:47:27 AM »
You guys can do as you please. I have tested many Beta programs including Windows Vista, 7 Firefox and I have never seen a Beta update itself backwards. I will go back to the stable version and check back here Monday.
I just installed over 6.0.1289...afterwards, told me there was an update...initiated it and it went back to 1289. I guess that is what you are talking about. I haven't had time to read the other forum comments.
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin