Author Topic: Unwelcome dial-up connection dialog  (Read 9869 times)

Manitoban

Re:Unwelcome dial-up connection dialog
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 10:26:38 PM »
Technical, you're asking me to lie to my computer?

OK, checking "I only connect to the Internet using a dial-up modem" gets rid of the pop-ups. And manual updating still seems fine. However, it seems (according to firewall logs) to have eliminated the automatic check for update after boot-up. Oh, well.

Eddy, nothing untoward seems to be starting and running.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 10:55:18 PM »
That's wrong Technical... I don't even understand how it can even work... He is connected through ADSL connection and he is using hardware router/firewall (I'm also using D-Link DI-604), so that means he doesn't even have to dial to internet. As soon as he logs into Windows, he is ready to open Internet Explorer and browse internet... just like cable connection.

My advice (UPDATE basic) is to set VIRUS DATABASE UPDATES to AUTOMATIC, PROGRAM UPDATES to AUTOMATIC as well...

For (UPDATE connections) - uncheck first one and check the second one... your PC is permanently connected to the internet, because it is like that. Even when you turn off your PC, you'll notice that your ADSL modem and router are still on and doing it's job...

That's how my settings are set and I never had such a problems Manitoban mentioned up there...

Another thing I'm worried about is this...
I scanned from Safe Mode with Ad-aware, X-Cleaner, and ewido. Nothing found. Neither avast nor the backup antivirus find anything.

What is your back-up antivirus and is it working in the same time as avast! ?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 10:57:28 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

ianb

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 11:42:36 PM »

Manitoban

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 01:02:12 AM »
Thank you, everyone. Evidently, the thing that changed between v4.1 and v4.5 is the default setting for "Proxy" as described by Vlk in the topic suggested by ianb. It looks for now as though the problem is solved. I had to check "Direct connection (no proxy)." What a relief.

What is your back-up antivirus and is it working in the same time as avast! ?
Currently, BitDefender Free Edition. Only one resident or on-access scanner at a time, of course.

Thanks again.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 01:12:52 AM »
No problem, I knew you will solve your problem. We just need to calm down sometimes, set the ball to the ground, and we will find some solution for any problem out there...

I'm glad you are happy now.

Stick around and make these forums even better with your presence !  ;)

Another Canadian ? Soon, we will overflow these forums, hehe  ;D

Cheers !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 01:45:06 AM »
That's wrong Technical... I don't even understand how it can even work... He is connected through ADSL connection and he is using hardware router/firewall (I'm also using D-Link DI-604), so that means he doesn't even have to dial to internet. As soon as he logs into Windows, he is ready to open Internet Explorer and browse internet... just like cable connection.

Ok, I misundertood you. I don't want you lie to your computer.
Sasha, c'mom, I cannot commite a mistake here  :-[
Manitoban, you won`t be connected as soon as you logs into Windows. Set the delay into the avast4.ini file (see Settings on my signature) and you will find the solution, I think AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60 will be enough.

My advice (UPDATE basic) is to set VIRUS DATABASE UPDATES to AUTOMATIC, PROGRAM UPDATES to AUTOMATIC as well...

Mine too. I have never though a different thing.

For (UPDATE connections) - uncheck first one and check the second one... your PC is permanently connected to the internet, because it is like that. Even when you turn off your PC, you'll notice that your ADSL modem and router are still on and doing it's job...

Ok, uncheck the first, check the second. These are my settings too. No problems here  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 01:46:11 AM »
Currently, BitDefender Free Edition. Only one resident or on-access scanner at a time, of course.

Good choice. You can add AntiVir free if you want (without the resident).
We`re becomming paranoid  ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2004, 01:50:45 AM »
Manitoban, you won`t be connected as soon as you logs into Windows.

I am using ADSL connection and I'm connected through my hardware router/firewall D-Link. I am connected to the net as soon as I log into Windows. I can instantly open my IE or OE or any other internet accessing tool...

Ok, I misundertood you. I don't want you lie to your computer.

you made mistake. I didn't say you want me to lie to my computer. That was Manitoban's line  ;) Sorry, if you didn't mean like that, but you quoted me and then replied without saying to who you are replying... anyway, it's not a big deal... most important thing is that he fixed his problem...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 01:54:02 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 02:06:17 AM »
You made mistake. I didn't say you want me to lie to my computer. That was Manitoban's line  ;) Sorry, if you didn't mean like that, but you quoted me and then replied without saying to who you are replying... anyway, it's not a big deal... most important thing is that he fixed his problem... Cheers !

Sure  ;D ;)