Author Topic: Where's the audio?  (Read 4223 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

Where's the audio?
« on: November 17, 2004, 01:13:51 AM »
Hi!
This may seem a very simple-minded question to ask for some, but hell, I'm not proud!  I had a problem earlier with my email scanning which since has been solved, now I have a question about the voice and siren warning that Avast makes when it finds either "suspicious or infected messages.  I belong to about 20 diffent Yahoo groups and get close to 80 messages a day so naturally something is bound to be infected.  Today I didn't hear a pin drop!  The scanning was active because I could see it on my screen but no sound!!  This for me is extremely unusual, there are a lot of viruses running through Yahoo and I get the warnings at least three times a day.  What I want to know is that with the new updated version, is Avast just silently handling the problem messages by deleting automatically?  If so we should have been told!  Part of that sense of feeling really protected is the audio warning in addition to the on-screen scanner.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Where's the audio?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 01:35:44 AM »
SCORPIONINBLUE, you can search for Silent Mode on the board.
In a few words, while in Silent Mode, Yes means delete and No means send to chest.
About the audio, just disable avast sounds if you want  ;)
The best things in life are free.

SCORPIONINBLUE

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 01:44:27 AM »
I didn't want the sound disabled with the update did that just happen automatically?  I haven't changed any of the settings because I thought things would be exactly as they were before the update.  So there is a way to restore the audio warning, that's what I wanted to know.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 01:45:56 AM »
Right click the blue ball > settings > sounds
Make sure it is not disabled and check the settings there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 02:05:10 AM »
SCORPIONINBLUE, you can enable or disable sounds for each event. There is no need to enable/disable all of them...  8)
You can follow what Eddy posted.

lovelyperson

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 11:54:32 AM »
SCORPIONINBLUE, you can enable or disable sounds for each event. There is no need to enable/disable all of them...  8)
You can follow what Eddy posted.

:) Exactly the same problem for me. Had obviously tried all before this thread and have just followed all you suggested above. Still no sound at all with the Avast prog. All other progs on PC perform as required.

Have not had a thread reply from the Author so I don't know his state.

Anything else you can suggest or has MY program perhaps become corrupted with the recent changes. Maybe it would be best if I deleted the prog completely and reinstalled with a new download. ¿If I do delete via the Control Panel are there any remnants left for manual deletion?

Appreciate that you are very busy to say the least, but the audio part is reassuring to most folk.

Thanks for your help and dedication.

cheers  ;) lovelyperson

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 12:39:01 PM »
Still no sound at all with the Avast prog. All other progs on PC perform as required.

1) Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

2) If this does not correct the situation, you could manually asign the sounds to each event by the avast sound settings or even through the Windows default sounds applet (Control Panel).

lovelyperson

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 10:10:50 AM »
 :) I delayed for a few days whilst reading other threads on current problems. Could not correct with repair etc, so uninstalled and fresh install of 4.5.523 seems to have CURED the problem for me.

Thanks for your assistance at this particularly busy time.

Cheers  ;) lovelyperson