Author Topic: Unsecured again  (Read 5325 times)

bid610

Unsecured again
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »
Avast Unsecured again.

Similar to other posts, But cannot install.

Avast ball just became frozen.

Uninstalled in safe mode, because avast was not seen via control panel.

Tried to reinstall, got “all the way” to the end of VPS, then it just froze.

I need to re-install, any ideas … ASAP

Help appreciated.

bid610

ady4um

Re: Unsecured again
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:08:31 AM »

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
but do it under Windows Safe Mode, selecting EACH and EVERY version you ever had of Avast and the correct folder(s) where you had them installed.

Then download anew the latest stable version of Avast and reinstall.

bid610

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:01:03 AM »
Thanks ady4um

I have uninstalled in SM ... Do I have to install in SM ?

Why did I get as far as entering my Key and yet at VPS it froze ?

Regards

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:22:58 AM »
No, you don't need to install in Safe Mode.

Please download ANEW the setup.exe for Avast.

Run the installation and please reboot immediately, even before configuring or before anything else.

After reboot, configure Avast and use it for several days. It should work for about 30 days even without the free registration.

You MAY need to configure update -> "direct connection (no proxy)", and there are other settings that may help in your situation. Please be aware that I am not YET recommending this type of settings / procedures. I am just mentioning only one of many possible solutions, which depends on the specific cause of the problem (while the symptom might be very similar to the eyes of the final user).

If everything is OK, then in a few days you go to Avast GUI -> maintenance -> registration and register your Free Avast. If something is wrong, please report back here before registration or before "blindly playing around".

Whichever the result, please report back.

bid610

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:38:57 AM »
Thanks again

Will have a go !!

bid610

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »
What is your OS?
What other security software do you have or "ever" had and how was it uninstalled? Did you run a cleaner after uninstalling your previous av I recommend CCleaner http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Any previous security software could leave something behind that could affect the avast install.
I don't see any need to "re-download" as the installation file remains the same. And besides it is always better to download before removing any anti-virus. The reason for this is that there is very little delay in getting avast up and running.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
What is your OS?
What other security software do you have or "ever" had and how was it uninstalled? Did you run a cleaner after uninstalling your previous av I recommend CCleaner http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Any previous security software could leave something behind that could affect the avast install.

What has CCleaner to do with running the removal utilities for other security tools?

Recommending CCleaner as a general procedure is not a good idea. It doesn't replace the respective removal utility (like the ones listed at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/) and, moreover, in some cases it can cause more damage than good. By recommending CCleaner together with removing remnants of security tools you are giving the wrong impression. The goal is not necessarily related to the tool (to say the least).

I don't see any need to "re-download" as the installation file remains the same.

When "everything" is working correctly, there is no need to re-download. Avast files are not published (officially) with checksums. The setup.exe could be corrupted (either by filesystem problems, bad download, wrong download source, malware,...).

I don't think that any forum user that is trying to help needs to cover each and every possible situation and question the OP with so many possible options. By re-downloading from the official site a clean installer, the OP might be solving many of those potential situations.

And besides it is always better to download before removing any anti-virus. The reason for this is that there is very little delay in getting avast up and running.  :)

I don't know about "delay". Generally speaking, the recommendation is to download all the needed tools to repair (as the new setup.exe and the removal utility) and then start with the procedure (if we are NOT talking about malware situations). But in this particular case, I don't understand why you need to mention this now and here. The OP was asking about the installation procedure (Windows Safe or Normal mode for installing Avast), not the download order.

bid610

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
Hi folks!

This paid for  avast has been OK for four years.
Recently the “ball” informed me that I was not secure.
I have uninstalled in SM and seemingly re-installed all the way to VPS yet the is no evidence of the install.
Sevices.does not list avast
I have recently changed ISP from TT to BTInternet, a big mistake.
Has BT installed a firewall that has knocked out avast ?
I am not proficient in this diagnostic but am willing to learn if my tutors have a bit of patience. Very much appreciated ;D

Thanks so far  ….

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 12:14:08 AM »
Did you receive any message about Avast failing? Or when the installation finished, did you see any "successful installation" or similar?

Have you rebooted after installing Avast?

Do you have or HAD any other security tool (firewall, anti-virus/spyware/phishing/...)?

About your ISP installing something, if you have no idea, then who? :) I guess you can only ask them (the ISP).

Do you have Avast listed in the Control Panel -> "Add/Remove Programs"?

What exact OS do you have (edition, version, SP, 32/64bits)?

bid610

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
Hi ady4um

Many thanks

To answer your questions:-

Not sure about failing message
Rebooted afer install   
I have only relied on avast for fiewall, anti virus etc.
I have heard that MS installs, and possibly BT. But how to verify these I am not sure how.
Vista 32 bit used.
Avast not listed in services.msc !
Or add and removed programs.

Going to try another install tonight

Regards   bid610.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »
@YoKenny, That's not critical in this very moment. Next time, if you want to contribute with good but not critical info, please do it after the main issue is solved, so the OP can focus his/her efforts on the main issue first. Thanks.

I have heard that MS installs, and possibly BT. But how to verify these I am not sure how.
Well, as I said, if you don't know, then who? I am yet to become mind-reader or electronics-reader :P ; at least not over distance.

You could check which specific programs you have installed (in "Add/Remove Programs"). I guess an additional way you could know is asking to BT directly.

Vista 32 bit used.
Avast not listed in services.msc !
Or add and removed programs.

Well then; if you *think* you installed Avast and rebooted immediately after the installation, Avast should be listed in the installed programs as expected.

If it isn't, then either the installation went wrong, or something else is preventing the correct installation of Avast (in which case, we need to find out what exactly is doing that).
Going to try another install tonight

Yes, please try again. First reboot (as oppose to starting the installation after several hours of having the system "on" or after some "power saver" mode), install Avast, reboot immediately after you see the installation finishes (a dialog should tell you so), and check / test everything is working as expected.

In any case, please report back.