Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - NOW 6.0.1364 **  (Read 183146 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - NOW 6.0.1352 **
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
When you updated to firefox 8.0 you should have had an add-on screen to allow you to enable third party add-ons such as the webrep, did you get that and check the option to allow webrep ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »
I'm still having the problem I mentioned earlier.  Sometimes things like this happen and the next virus update resolves it.  I was hoping that would happen with this but it hasn't thus far.  I certainly don't want to exclude all those files (which is over 100).

"...Secunia files are not scanned.  Some files could not be scanned: "Error: Password protected."  This has not happened before the beta.  (Outlook.pst often will not be scanned, but was this time.)"

Everything else seems to be going well.

No problem here with Secunia files being scanned. I was also able to scan the Secunia files without an error message using "Scan from Windows Explorer"  AIS even scanned the "SUA" folder which Windows won't allow me to open.

Nesivos

« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
Instead of adding more bells and whistles how about improving the slipping detection rates? For the last several months I've been watching them do downhill over at av-comparatives.org.

Are you referring to the on-demand or "real-world" tests?

BTW we have quite high expectations of a big gun called "version 7".
Hopefully, it will change your perception little bit.

Thanks
Vlk

Whole Product Dynamic Tests.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart2.php

Monthly avast! detection in this section has been going down.  In Sept it was ranked 13th out of 17 programs and had been falling for months for some reason.

Having said that, I'm anxious for the new 7 when that comes out and am looking forward to renewing my subscription for another year.

Here is some information about the Whole Product Dynamic Tests conducted from Mar - June 2011

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/dyn/wpdt2011_1_en.pdf

1.  Tests are performed under Windows XP SP3
2.  Browser used is Internet Explorer 7
3.  Adobe Flash Player ActiveX 10.0
4.  Adobe Player Plug-In 10.1
5.  Java 6.0.140

I sure hope that there current tests are using up to date software. I put no value in tests that use outdated software.  Adobe Flash 11.x was released Oct 3rd

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2011/10/adobe-flash-player-11-air-11-available-later-today.html

Java 7 was released July 28th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history

XP3 is archaic and IE7 is junk

ISTM that people really need to understand how tests are performed and know all the software that is used in the test before talking about them.   Now I don't know what software was used in their Sept tests so it is possible that they used W7 x64 along with Firefox or at least IE9 or the latest version of Chrome.   However, the fact that their testing as late as last June was still using Windows XP3 and IE7 makes me very hesitant to accept any of their numbers.

I have posted before how AIS interacts with a bad URL differently when you access the URL using IE9 vs the current release of Firefox.  I know this because I tested it on one of my computers and got different results.

JMO

Nesivos

« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »
My apologies if I missed this already being discussed a long the line, but my WebRep is not working in FF 8.  Possibly I'm the only one.  It works in Chrome (which I don't use).

It shows as being installed and I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin but to no avail.  It's not even listed as disabled in "Add ons."

I think that you still need to use the Firefox Add-On Compatibility Reporter to get WebRep to work with the latest release of Firefox.  It is working fine on my Firefox 9.0B1 :)

Nesivos

« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
When you updated to firefox 8.0 you should have had an add-on screen to allow you to enable third party add-ons such as the webrep, did you get that and check the option to allow webrep ?

I got the add-on screen when I installed 9.0B1 and an enabled WebRep so that might have now superseded the need for the Add-On Compatibility Reporter.

I have to figure out how to do multiple quotes. ;D

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »
My apologies if I missed this already being discussed a long the line, but my WebRep is not working in FF 8.  Possibly I'm the only one.  It works in Chrome (which I don't use).

It shows as being installed and I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin but to no avail.  It's not even listed as disabled in "Add ons."

I think that you still need to use the Firefox Add-On Compatibility Reporter to get WebRep to work with the latest release of Firefox.  It is working fine on my Firefox 9.0B1 :)

WebRep works fine in Firefox 8.0 official release without any help or modification.  It doesn't need another add-on to make it work.  WebRep's install.rdf has had the lines below for the past few releases.
<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id> <!-- firefox -->
        <em:minVersion>3.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Note that the maxVersion is a * wildcard.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

dagrev

« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »
Instead of adding more bells and whistles how about improving the slipping detection rates? For the last several months I've been watching them do downhill over at av-comparatives.org.

Whole Product Dynamic Tests.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart2.php

Monthly avast! detection in this section has been going down.  In Sept it was ranked 13th out of 17 programs and had been falling for months for some reason.
Having said that, I'm anxious for the new 7 when that comes out and am looking forward to renewing my subscription for another year.

Here is some information about the Whole Product Dynamic Tests conducted from Mar - June 2011

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/dyn/wpdt2011_1_en.pdf

1.  Tests are performed under Windows XP SP3
2.  Browser used is Internet Explorer 7
3.  Adobe Flash Player ActiveX 10.0
4.  Adobe Player Plug-In 10.1
5.  Java 6.0.140

I sure hope that there current tests are using up to date software. I put no value in tests that use outdated software.  Adobe Flash 11.x was released Oct 3rd

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2011/10/adobe-flash-player-11-air-11-available-later-today.html

Java 7 was released July 28th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history

XP3 is archaic and IE7 is junk

ISTM that people really need to understand how tests are performed and know all the software that is used in the test before talking about them.   Now I don't know what software was used in their Sept tests so it is possible that they used W7 x64 along with Firefox or at least IE9 or the latest version of Chrome.   However, the fact that their testing as late as last June was still using Windows XP3 and IE7 makes me very hesitant to accept any of their numbers.

I have posted before how AIS interacts with a bad URL differently when you access the URL using IE9 vs the current release of Firefox.  I know this because I tested it on one of my computers and got different results.
JMO

Yes, I understand about the outdated software you mentioned, but all AVs were tested under the same old software and therefore it seems a "somewhat" fair comparison.  Would not the up to date software simply point to them doing the work of catching virus' and the like, not the AV itself?  I would think that updated software won't make any AV inherently better--only look better in tests because it didn't allow for a vulnerability to be exploited in the first place.  Had the software been current it would have been a better test to be sure, but likely all AVs would simply have done better. 

Maybe my thinking is all wrong here.  I don't think such tests are the end-all, I just think they provide one additional piece of information to consider.

I'm not a tech person by any means, thus I like to be informed and learn from people who are and know more than me (which is a lot), in this and a few other forums.

dagrev

« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »

Yes, I'm almost certain I did.  Is there a way to go back and confirm this?

I have done the repair and it's still the same.

Thanks

dagrev

« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2011, 07:59:48 PM »

Thanks, but I have that and still nothing.  I was pretty sure WR was there originally with the beta but I'm not 100% sure.

Nesivos

« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »

WebRep works fine in Firefox 8.0 official release without any help or modification.  It doesn't need another add-on to make it work.  WebRep's install.rdf has had the lines below for the past few releases.
<em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id> <!-- firefox -->
        <em:minVersion>3.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Note that the maxVersion is a * wildcard.

You could be correct about Firefox 8.  I never used it.  I went from Firefox 8B6 to Firefox 9B1.  I have stopped using Firefox non-Beta releases.  No need to use them. IMO

Nesivos

« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2011, 08:29:03 PM »
@dagrev Yes, I understand about the outdated software you mentioned, but all AVs were tested under the same old software and therefore it seems a "somewhat" fair comparison.  Would not the up to date software simply point to them doing the work of catching virus' and the like, not the AV itself

The reason I don't agree is because ISTM that you are assuming some things that I don't agree with.

1.  That all software updates are equivalent when it comes to security.
2.  That the Browser has no or very little impact with regard to Malware protection.
3.  That the Operating System has no or little impact with regard to Malware protection
4.  That all AV programs work just as efficiently with regard to Malware detection irrespective of what Browser, and Operating System you are using with the AV.
5.  That Flash for IE is going to be just as secure as Flash for non-IE browsers.
6.  That same for Java as with Flash

JMO

dagrev

« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
@dagrev Yes, I understand about the outdated software you mentioned, but all AVs were tested under the same old software and therefore it seems a "somewhat" fair comparison.  Would not the up to date software simply point to them doing the work of catching virus' and the like, not the AV itself

The reason I don't agree is because ISTM that you are assuming some things that I don't agree with.

1.  That all software updates are equivalent when it comes to security.
2.  That the Browser has no or very little impact with regard to Malware protection.
3.  That the Operating System has no or little impact with regard to Malware protection
4.  That all AV programs work just as efficiently with regard to Malware detection irrespective of what Browser, and Operating System you are using with the AV.
5.  That Flash for IE is going to be just as secure as Flash for non-IE browsers.
6.  That same for Java as with Flash

JMO

Thanks for trying to help me better understand, but maybe I wasn't clear.  I agree that all those things are important to security.  Let me try another way: I don't think that updated software will make any AV program itself inherently better--only look better in tests (equally so for all AVs), because the current updates would have allowed for a vulnerability to be exploited in the first place.  Thus the current software would be doing the catching of some problems before it got to the AV in the first place.

I understand how current software makes a computer more secure, but how would those things make, say avast, score better and not equally raise the score for all or most others?  I'm thinking the current software would simply make for fewer vulnerabilities in the first place, for the AV to have to react to--but this would be true of all AVs equally.  In the end it seems the current software would make for fewer AV responses and would not necessarily indicate the AV better or worse itself.  But like I said, I'm not tech person, I'm just trying to think through it.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »
You could be correct about Firefox 8.  I never used it.  I went from Firefox 8B6 to Firefox 9B1.  I have stopped using Firefox non-Beta releases.  No need to use them. IMO

Firefox Beta (all versions) would also be covered by the <em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion>  line.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

dagrev

« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2011, 10:27:03 PM »
WebRep not working for me in FF Beta either.

ady4um

« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »
Folks, please open separate topics for specific issues (independently if the issue is related to the current Avast beta), and leave this one for relevant posts.

The FF version and WebRep is one. The AV comparatives and test is another one.

It is already not so easy to track down / follow this topic as it is.

Thanks.