Author Topic: Lost internet access through applications  (Read 5917 times)

Megatron

Lost internet access through applications
« on: November 13, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »
Hello,

I'm using latest Stable AIS.

I'm running Win7 x64, 4GB of RAM.

Today, I was using my PC normaly, when an avast window poped up asking to do a boot scan on next restart, as I had time, I pressed ok. It started working and I went away from PC, 2h later when I came back, it was still on 13%.. and as I needed the PC I just pressed ESC.

PC booted up normally, then I open the browser and I can't open any page. As it's normal on my provider, I went directly to troubleshoot network problems.. but everything was ok. I could ping GW, I could ping ISP, I could ping and resolve names normally.. only Firefox wasn't working. So I tried Chrome, IE, Opera..same result.

I decided to disable avast services, when I noticed that it was complaining that services were disabled, while under Real-Time Shields, all of them were running.

After some uninstalling with Avast Cleaner, I reinstalled Beta version and now it manifests same symptoms + Avast can't communicate to update/activate trial even.

- Windows Firewall is fully off
- No extra FW or Spyware removal tools

Need more ideas before formating.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Lost internet access through applications
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:38:17 AM »
Need more ideas before formating.
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

Megatron

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:43:17 AM »
I've tried that before coming to post here.

Somehow I belive that Avast got into a faceoff with Windows Firewall.. and systems is on lockdown for anything above Layer 3.

I used this topic as a base for my troubleshoot: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65534.0

I can't register new installation, since I don't have internet access on that pc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:46:04 AM »
Please, upload (attach) the avast log:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\Setup.log
or C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.

Megatron

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:58:40 AM »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:07:57 AM »
Code: [Select]
13.11.2011 00:06:57.000 1321142817 (null) ashBase!_basGetCurrentProductLicenseInfo@28 returned 110
13.11.2011 00:06:57.000 1321142817 (null) pfnBasGetCurrentLicenseFeatureInfo  3 return value: 0x0000006E
I don't know for sure, but this is fishy.

But the reason seems to be:
Code: [Select]
13.11.2011 00:22:07.000 1321143727 (null) tried 10 servers to get file 'servers.def', but failed (0x20000004)The license file couldn't be validated.
I really think that an installation from scratch (specially after the beta) will help.

Megatron

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 02:16:39 AM »
Yes, I did a reinstall..and obviously couldn't apply the license, because that PC doesn't have internet access... and I don't have the lic file there.

By install from scratch.. you mean Windows?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 02:20:52 AM »
Well, you need your license file back (locally) and apply it again.
From scratch, I mean the antivirus only (avast) and not Windows (reformatting).

Megatron

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 02:53:22 AM »
Done.

Same behaviour.

New Setup.log
http://www.instagibmetal.net/Downs/Avast/0135_Setup.log

And 2 images

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:03:56 AM by Megatron »

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:58:30 AM »
Do you even have a valid connection before installing Avast?

Can you reset the firewall?

If you happen to clean again Avast (with its removal utility from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility), then please do it using Windows Safe Mode. If you used to have previous versions (like Avast 5.x before Avast 6.x), then please run the removal utility twice, once for 6.x and one for 5.x (all under Windows Safe Mode).

I would suggest skipping the "Add/Remove Programs" altogether, and running the removal utility directly, and from Windows Safe Mode directly (NOT trying first normal mode).

Then reset the Windows Firewall (there is an option to do it with a simple click).

When downloading Avast setup, please re-download anew and from the official site only. Use the latest stable version.

Before installing Avast, test you connection, so we can narrow down the problem.

Please double check you have all Windows Updates installed. Then reboot and check again for new Windows updates, and repeat until no new Windows updates are offered.

Some Windows updates will not be offered until Windows is validated. Double check it is (since in some situation a re-validation is needed and the user haven't noticed it), reboot and test Windows updates again.

In any case, please report back.

Megatron

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:48:04 AM »
Hello,

After having uninstalled Avast + resetting the FW behaviour is as follows:

- I can ping everything
 - Applications not able to access the Internet
 - Applied an "Allow All" for both inbound and outbound on firewall.
 - Windows Update, not downloading anything.

Megatron

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:57:35 AM »
Updates just started.. after being on 0% for the past 30-45 minutes.

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 05:21:41 AM »
So now you do have internet access. Great.

OK, so update all available Windows updates, reboot, and check again for Windows updates. Repeat until...

Then double check the Windows validation. Reboot. Only *then* start "playing around" with other issues such as antivirus :).

Megatron

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »
So now you do have internet access. Great.

OK, so update all available Windows updates, reboot, and check again for Windows updates. Repeat until...

Then double check the Windows validation. Reboot. Only *then* start "playing around" with other issues such as antivirus :).

Let me rephrase..

I only have ping.. and Windows update working.

Everything else has same behaviour.

Applying last update(office.. should be irrelevant)

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 05:47:14 AM »
So, you have connection, but not being able to use any web browser? If that's the case, maybe you couold try removing them, or at least one, reboot and install the latest stable version of it? After install please reboot again.