Author Topic: Repairing files in virus chest  (Read 4829 times)

sebseb81

Repairing files in virus chest
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:36 AM »
Hello all,

Is there any way to "repair" files in the virus chest, rather than just restore or delete? Did a boot-up scan on a PC after it seemed to be having virus issues (despite Avast! being installed!) and I sent all the files it found to the Virus Chest. Now, however, there is nothing in the Start Menu and all icons whatsoever are gone from the desktop. Avast is about the only thing that can run on it now.

If I don't figure out anything, I will restore the items in the Virus Chest and then run another boot-up scan and do the "Repair" option in place of sending it to the virus chest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

ady4um

Re: Repairing files in virus chest
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 06:10:59 AM »
"No icons on the desktop" doesn't sound as a "real" Avast issue. If all those icons were infected programs, for example, then it might be a possibility. But I doubt each and every icon on your desktop is an infected program. You probably had shortcuts, just as the shortcuts of the start menu.

So either you are seeing something else (like some "sandbox / safezone" or alike), or your system has changed for some reason (like screen resolution, but I also doubt it's *that* simple), or you were really infected and what you see is some strange consequence (or maybe something else is going on but I am not thinking about it).

About your question, files can be re-scanned in the chest (without having to restore them). Leave them there for now (safest option).

Could you provide some more specific info? OS? SP? x32/x64? Avast version and edition? The list of files and the original locations that are being listed in Avast's chest? Is your system booting correctly? Could you try rebooting and checking if the behaviour is repeated?...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
most of todays malware can not be repaired...

clean, quarantine or delete
http://antivirus.about.com/b/2007/03/11/clean-quarantine-or-delete.htm

sebseb81

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:46:24 AM »
My apologies for taking so long to come back to the forum to followup. The PC in question belongs to my in-laws, who were running Avast at my recommendation. It turns out that the system was full-on infected with some malware that was gradually removing functionality, running fake messages, and asking for money to repair the damage. Someone on site had to come and fix the computer (I live in another state). They were able to boot into safe mode and remove the malware that way. They then installed Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

Granted, they probably had other security problems here (I'm not sure their login account had a password, and possibly the settings for Avast were not password protected either), however I am rather disappointed that Avast was not able to come through. I myself run Avast (or least ran it when a PC was my primary machine) and have never had problems.

I'm sorry I can't provide any more information about the issue.