Author Topic: Avast Web Shield and Admuncher?  (Read 2501 times)

gate1975mlm

Avast Web Shield and Admuncher?
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »
Hello,

I was told by Admucher techs that I should disable the Web Shield in Avast since Admuncher already scans. And he said Avast would still catch the the virus if one was found. He also said I am wasting cpu time if I run both Web Shield and Admuncher.

See the reason I had this chat with Admuncher was because I was having an issue where when I would load to many web sites at one time Admuncher would complain about that I have too many connections. The Admuncher Tech blaimed Avasts Web Shield. Not just with Avast but with any other Anti Virus software that usses a Web Shield. He said all thats needed is Admuncher for web scanning.

He said if I disable the Web Shield Admuncher will not complain about too many
connections anymore.

Do you guys agree with this?

Gargamel360

Re: Avast Web Shield and Admuncher?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »
This has happened before with Admuncher.  They both operate along the same lines somehow (local proxy).  So I can see how they might butt heads.

Its on you to decide, really.  Since you likely have already paid for Admuncher, I can see how that enters the equation.  The tech is right to a point....the File shield is still scanning, so its not like you are running around naked.  But the WebShield looks for things the File shield does not (i.e., the Web Shield scans all packers by default, File shield does not), so to say you are just as well protected is a leap I would not make.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Web Shield and Admuncher?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:57:13 PM »
What a pack of jokers they are at admuncher support.

If this wasn't so pitiful it would be laughable, "Admucher techs that I should disable the Web Shield in Avast since Admuncher already scans. " So now admuncher is an anti-virus scanning the web sites for malware, absolutely not. They are totally different and admuncher provides zero malware protection.

I would rather see admuncher binned as essentially it is unnecessary, if you are using firefox include the AdBlockPlus and no interaction with avast or if you have chrome, I believe there is an AdBlockPlus extension for it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security