Author Topic: Avast Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro  (Read 9872 times)

Nathan P.

Avast Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
I have a question, Recently I upgraded to Avast Internet Security on my XP desktop and I was thinking of upgrading Malwarebytes from the free version to the paid (Pro) version.  I want to know will there be problems having those 2 versions on the same machine?  I've heard that having two applications that provide real-time protection could cause some conflicts but on my Windows 7 laptop I have both Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes (Pro) and there has been zero problems with having those two on the same machine.  Will Avast act differently than Norton when having Malwarebytes (Pro) on the same machine?  I wanted to come here and ask before I do anything in case upgrading Malwarebytes could cause problems.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »
You only have to read the signitures of many of the members here to see that MBAM PRO works well with avast, you should of course the exclusions  between both programs as you would have for norton, exclusions are here in section K http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=417798

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
No problems with avast and no exclusions on my systems, other than exclude the c:\windows\temp\_avast_ folder (where avast unpacks/sends tmp files to be scanned).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:11:45 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 01:56:01 PM »
I just purchased MBAM pro about a week ago and have had zero problems so far, see sig for system specs.

Bill
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »
No problems with avast and no exclusions on my systems, other than exclude the c:\windows\temp\_avast_ folder (where avast unpacks/sends tmp files to be scanned).
I have never had to do that on my XP Pro system.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
The only reason I have done it is because of the instances seen of unp9999999.tmp files being detected by resident third party security applications, when the only reason they are there is because avast sent them there for scanning.

The most likely reason they remained there was because of the intervention of a resident third party security application hooking the file (locking it) so that it can scan it, effectively blocking avast from removing it after a scan.

At best this is unnecessary duplication of scanning on a file that otherwise wouldn't be in that location had avast not unpacked/sent it there. At worst it could cause a conflict.

They are the reasons why I exclude that location in MBAM.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
Where only using the avast free version though David, might be wise to use the full exclusions with AIS  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »
The AIS is essentially no different, as we are talking of excluding the real-time scanners interaction not the avast firewall or anti-spam.

Nathan P.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »
Thanks you guys.  I've heard that Avast! free AV and MBAM Pro work very well together but I thought it might be different having Avast Internet Security and MBAM Pro together.  Looking at some of the comments it sounds like Avast Internet Security should also be fine having MBAM Pro along side it so if thats the case then I'll upgrade MBAM.  Since my experience with MBAM Pro and Norton Internet Security on my laptop has been great I wanted to have MBAM Pro along side AIS on my desktop for the extra protection.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
I don't believe you will have any issues, if you do you know where to come ;D

dagrev

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:57:07 PM »
I don't think this is an avast! problem, but I have never been able to get the "Protection Mode" to work on my laptop.  Other than that it scans just fine.  Every time I enable it I have problems after one boot or so.  (If it weren't for Rollback Rx I'd been in trouble.)  As I said, I don't think this is an avast! problem, but have yet to track it down.  Other than that they work perfectly together.  They leave each other alone as far as I can tell.

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 04:16:37 AM »
Thanks you guys.  I've heard that Avast! free AV and MBAM Pro work very well together but I thought it might be different having Avast Internet Security and MBAM Pro together.  Looking at some of the comments it sounds like Avast Internet Security should also be fine having MBAM Pro along side it so if thats the case then I'll upgrade MBAM.  Since my experience with MBAM Pro and Norton Internet Security on my laptop has been great I wanted to have MBAM Pro along side AIS on my desktop for the extra protection.
I have been running that combo for about a year and no issues...no slow down! I would go for it! ;D
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
I don't think this is an avast! problem, but I have never been able to get the "Protection Mode" to work on my laptop.  Other than that it scans just fine.  Every time I enable it I have problems after one boot or so.  (If it weren't for Rollback Rx I'd been in trouble.)  As I said, I don't think this is an avast! problem, but have yet to track it down.  Other than that they work perfectly together.  They leave each other alone as far as I can tell.
Have you asked on the MBAM forums about your problem ? first thing to try is running the MBAM clean exe  http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe and a fresh install if you haven't already, other than that you would have to further take up the issue with Malwarebytes on there forum.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:13:14 PM by craigb »

dagrev

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've done a clean uninstall but still have the same problem.  I kept thinking it would be fixed in the next update.  Even if I just enable protection it will lock up not too long afterwards.

I've had trouble registering on the forum but will pursue that as soon as I hear back from them.