Author Topic: Dear Avast  (Read 18518 times)

ady4um

Re: Dear Avast
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »
This comment is not going to really solve your issue, but may help a bit.

You could change the values for the time the pop ups are shown on screen (settings -> pop ups -> change it to, say 4 seconds). Note that "zero" is NOT "zero seconds".

Also, you should note that the colour of the tray notification is not the same as a normal update.

As Asyn, I don't know why it is being displayed "so" frequently nor how to change that behaviour (other than renewing the license, of course).

In any case, the protection will stop if you finally decide not to renew the Pro license (AFAIK, you can't "transform" your Pro edition to the Free edition without uninstalling Avast Pro and installing Avast Free, but I may be wrong).

If you decide to renew the license, do it using the main GUI of Avast, so to "merge" the days still left of your current license with the new license (or consult with sales - a/T - avast D 0  T c0m).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:31:47 AM by ady4um »

bioxx750

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »

You could change the values for the time the pop ups are shown on screen (settings -> pop ups -> change it to, say 4 seconds). Note that "zero" is NOT "zero seconds".

Thanks ady4um, I knew about the time settings. The intention of my post was to let Avast know  that good things can be overdone. In this case its overdone to the extreme. We all hate spam but this is as annoying as it can get.

Daris

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »
Hi bioxx750 ....I don't know if it will work or if you want to do that...Nor was I ever in that situation, but I guess I would see if the "Silent Gaming Mode" in "Settings" next to your Help Centre  ...I would put a check mark in "Silent Gaming Mode" But I would customize my settings to put in Virus Chest or to Abort connection in Web Shield in case of danger...at least until I find more time to upgrade my license...This is what I would do  although I am not suggesting that you do this.. but if you do decide I guess I am also curious to know if this works...
Cheeeeers and safe surfinggggg

bioxx750

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 05:47:04 AM »
Daris, thanks for your reply. Yeah I guess I can do this but its only another 11 days to go.

I'm just wondering what we, the great unwashed masses of users, have done to make software providers think we are complete idiots. I'm used to telling things 20 times when I train dogs but at least they get a reward when they get it right. I don't, my reward would have been that I close that pop up ONCE A DAY, means I got it right and it stays closed.  ;D

bioxx750

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
This is what I mean, I was watching a film and.........

Yes, 'silent when full screen application is running' is enabled.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »
Here you are

Thanks. The pop-ups look ok.
But no idea, why they would show that often..??
+1 This is the first time I have heard that this particular pop-up happen this frequently?  ???
The simple solution is to renew and be done with it. Between now and his next renewal avast 7 will be out.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

bioxx750

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »
The simple solution is to renew and be done with it. Between now and his next renewal avast 7 will be out.  :)

Or to go with something with a higher detection and much less pop ups  ;D

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
@bioxx750,

As you see, more than one Avast user is commenting that this is not a usual situation.

But let's assume this is a usual situation for this specific type of "renew license" pop ups. I wonder if other types of pop ups were so frequent too, before these last days, or if they were so "annoying" (as per your descriptions) before too.

JANEWAY

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
Looks like a different security notice behind it, Perhaps Micrsosft Security Essentials?

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
Looks like a different security notice behind it, Perhaps Micrsosft Security Essentials?

Good eye. It looks like either MSE or Outpost, but its too hard to tell. If it's Outpost, it shouldnt be a problem since a few users are running both alongside one another. However, if it's MSE, then you might have stumbled onto something.

bioxx750

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »
What you see behind one of the pop ups is the video I was watching.

MSE is not installed. Security centre is disabled.

I don't get any other pop ups from whatever application.

ady4um

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »
I don't get any other pop ups from whatever application.

But what about other pop ups of Avast (as I asked before)? (And the question has nothing to do with those unrelated comments about MSE nor anything else). My point is that you are upset at Avast because of this pop up (an I would be too), but I'd really like to know if this has happened with previous types of pop ups of Avast.

YoKenny

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »
Security centre is disabled.
Why did you disable Security centre ???

It looks like you are British ???

bioxx750

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »
ady4um, only the Avast update pop up, set to 10sec

YoKenny, security centre is disabled coz its rather useless.

Yes, I'm a Brit

ady4um

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »
only the Avast update pop up, set to 10sec

You meant the same ad / offer you posted before ONLY, right? Or do you meant that the  "definitions update" and / or "program update" tray notifications are "popping up" more frequently than they should? Is there any other pop up / notification with "strange" or unwanted behaviour?