Author Topic: Dear Avast  (Read 18516 times)

YoKenny

Re: Dear Avast
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »

YoKenny, security centre is disabled coz its rather useless.

Yes, I'm a Brit
Its not useless!

The Action center is good to see that your security is working and up to date.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »

YoKenny, security centre is disabled coz its rather useless.

Yes, I'm a Brit
Its not useless!

The Action center is good to see that your security is working and up to date.
+1 with security centre being disabled you can't monitor your security status, so your AV or firewall might become disabled and you wouldn't even know.
Without the security action centre i wouldn't have discovered that im haveing a system shutdown error with avast, not a smart thing to do at all  :o

bioxx750

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 07:46:01 AM »
^ security centre is completely unreliable. there are always problems with that thing not even recognising fully functional AV/FW software. If you need security centre to tell you that something is amiss on your computer then you better check your priorities.

the pop ups have stopped coz i un-installed it and replaced it with something much less annoying. a while ago i observed avast connecting to weird and wonderful ip addresses in strange countries. there was actually a thread on this forum (not started by me) but no clear explanation has come forward.

now i get bombarded with pop ups for a month. where in the license agreement does it say that i allow avast to spam me?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
^ security centre is completely unreliable. there are always problems with that thing not even recognising fully functional AV/FW software. If you need security centre to tell you that something is amiss on your computer then you better check your priorities.

Never been a problem with my security centre so i think your priorities should be to find out the underlying issue which is causing your SC to not function correctly as by just turning it off and ignoring the problem doesn't solve anything  ::)

bioxx750

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
There aren't any problems on any of my computers.

What's with the security centre anyway? It was the Avast pop ups which have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Thing is that Avast feels so bl**dy self-important that they think they have the right to pester paying!!! users with pointless pop ups.

YoKenny

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »

Thing is that Avast feels so bl**dy self-important that they think they have the right to pester paying!!! users with pointless pop ups.
As a Brit you should get DavidR involved.

By the way looks like you only need one more post so please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

dansorin

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 03:02:11 PM »
...As a Brit you should get DavidR involved....
what importance does it have if he's brit or african or chinese??? it's the same software.

bioxx750

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
coz Brits are nawty/special???  ::)

Whatever, the last (absolutely last!!!) of my avast licenses/installations has started started spitting fire. Since it isn't me sitting at that computer it can pop-up away for a little longer until it gets unceremoniously un-installed.

BTW, what happened to avast virus detection? More often than not I see essexboy busy helping user to get rid of infections. With avast installed shouldn't those viruses be DOA?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
In the perfect world - yes...  But malware changes on an hourly basis and I have problems finding some of the triggers.  Malware writers have the edge.  They run their programmes through the AV and when they find a match that does not get detected they release it.  All AV's suffer from this..  Some that I help here have Norton, AVG Avira, McAfee etc etc..  Not all malware threads on this forum are by Avast users..  Which in a way demonstrates the backup support you get here as opposed to other AV forums  ;D

spg SCOTT

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
Biozz750,

1. Ignore YoKenny...

2. The popups.

I personally haven't experienced them myself (free version, and just renew when it says - because it is free, but not relevant here.) but I understand what you mean about the popups.

(Assuming that the showing of the popups is correct)
I think I have seen another thread or two, and remember similar comments...I think that avast has it set this way to prevent the possibility of the license running out and you being protected. They are trying to insure that at some point it is seen by you.

I also think there is a issue in the way that the licenses work, in that it is valid from the day of purchase, so you could potentially loose time (though IIRC that may not be the case if you do it though the GUI popups)

I agree that it should not be shown so often and especially not in full screen circumstances (like films etc.)

Perhaps if it was coded so that once closed (i.e. so that it knows that you have seen it) reduce the amount of times etc. I don't know...

3. The comment on detection.

I can't really comment myself on detection, and wouldn't even try to. However, one small point. It may seem that essexboy is fixing loads of machines with avast, but here pretty much everyone uses avast so it may not me a fair representation. (essexboy would know best about current detection etc...I am probably one of the worst to comment on it for various reasons ;))

4. Your comment on avast connecting to other IPs...I have two thoughts on that (depending on your observations)
All traffic is routed through AvastSVC.exe so it would appear that avast is connecting where it may be a browser etc.
Some of the avast servers are in various places around the world (for speed, redundancy, etc. i guess) and that could be what you were seeing (IIRC this would be AvastUI.exe

Scott

bioxx750

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »
In the perfect world - yes...  But malware changes on an hourly basis and I have problems finding some of the triggers.    All AV's suffer from this..  Some that I help here have Norton, AVG Avira, McAfee etc etc..  Not all malware threads on this forum are by Avast users..  Which in a way demonstrates the backup support you get here as opposed to other AV forums  ;D

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I didn't pay attention to what AV those posters were running. Just thought avast forum=avast trouble

Biozz750,

1. Ignore YoKenny...

2. The popups.

The pops can't be controlled  ;D I've been around computers for a while. Most AVs/FWs show some sort of notification when the license is up but avast is really trying hard to annoy the user. Please avast don't treat us like idiots (learned that from MS, didn't you :o), once a day is enough. Everything above this is spam and looks like "we want your money, NOW!!!"  :P

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »
Everything above this is spam and looks like "we want your money, NOW!!!"  :P
So that you can update NOW! so that you don't see the annoying popups anymore. ;D
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

ady4um

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »
@bioxx750,

Setting aside any possible "workarounds" (like renewing a license, whether for Free, Pro or AIS edition), I can understand your feeling.

Although I can think of many technical reasons to renew the license with avast (and IMHO, the technical reasons are very good, important and valid ones), I also understand that a license for, say, 12 months, is not that same as "11 months and then I also nag you".

The reminder is a useful feature, but the user should still be able to decide "in silence". As I said, I would still renew the license, and the reminder wouldn't be more important than technical reasons (like avast protection for example) but that's another story.