Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)
disabling on-access scanning on boot
(1/2) > >>
harry349:
I have Avast 4.5.523 installed on XP SP2.  I can disable on-access scan once booted, but if I reboot, it is enabled again.  Is there a way to disable on-access scan permanently until I re-enable it?  This was an option when I disabled it in the previous version of Avast, but I no longer see this option.  :(
Eddy:
Disabling the on-access scanning would make your system vulnerable. Why you want to do that for?

You can change the settings for the on-access scanning through the on-access control panel > standard shield > customize
Vlk:
Harry, how exactly are you shutting down the provider?

Thanks
Vlk
harry349:
I thought I went into "On-access protection control" and clicked "Terminate", however when I did that just now it gave me the dialog it used to about persisting the change across reboots.  It works now, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong this morning.  Sorry for the confusion.

And to answer your question, performance is the reason.  If I download something I am suspicious of, I scan it manually by right-clicking the folder it is in.  If I access a 200 MB ZIP file over the network, I don't want any AV program to try to scan it for viruses before it opens.  It takes too long.  I am aware of the risks I run by making this choice.
bob3160:
harry349

--- Quote ---I don't want any AV program to try to scan it for viruses before it opens.  It takes too long.  I am aware of the risks I run by making this choice.
--- End quote ---
Maybe I'm confused but, why have any AV program at all?
Once your system has been compromised it's a little late for a scanner to tell you that you shouldn't have opened a file. ??? ???
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version