Author Topic: Malware problem  (Read 5032 times)

Keenath

Malware problem
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:01:40 AM »
So, okay.

Got a malware program that hits Avast's malicious URL blocker on an irregular basis.  It'll be quiet for a few days and then suddenly starts going off every couple minutes for several hours.

We're also getting bluescreen crashes at random times that don't seem to be related to any particular activity, so there's that too.

It also seems like it interferes with internet navigation in some way; I often find myself on advertisement pages that I know I didn't ask for.

We're running Win Vista and have had Avast forever, so whatever this is got in past the antivirus.

I'm assuming this malware is some kind of downloader, because every time I run an avast bootscan I come up with fifty-odd infected files in the Windows Temp directory, with names along the lines of "jar_cache[number string].tmp", and usually a few in the java cache directory too.  All are infected with various flavors of Agent:Java-[lettercode].

I'm a computer professional, but security and virus hunting are definitely not my forte, so I'm looking for some help.  I've tried scans with Avast and a number of other products, to no avail.

Right now I'm running another bootscan.  After that I'll hit it with Malwarebytes and OTL as described in the "logs to assist" post.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Malware problem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:09:42 AM »
I'm assuming this malware is some kind of downloader, because every time I run an avast bootscan I come up with fifty-odd infected files in the Windows Temp directory, with names along the lines of "jar_cache[number string].tmp", and usually a few in the java cache directory too.  All are infected with various flavors of Agent:Java-[lettercode].
Try this

TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/
TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

then continue with attaching all logs from this guide
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Essexboy will have a look tomorrow
he is usually in here around 08:00pm - 11:59pm UK time

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:14:56 AM by Pondus »

Keenath

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:49:06 AM »
Okay, I did all the things you asked.  Here are the logs from Malware Bytes and OTL.

Keenath

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:54:53 AM »
And here's the aswMBR log.  For what it's worth, while I was downloading that file, I got absolutely SLAMMED with blocked URL attempts.  So fast the "Malicious URL Blocked" window didn't go away for ten minutes.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:08:27 AM »
you are to late for essexboy...he logged out about 2 hours ago, so you have to wait until tomorrow again   ;)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Hi there we may need to repair this outside of windows - but lets see if we can do it with a tool first

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
    :OTL
    [2011/10/29 07:43:38 | 000,000,000 | ---D | C] -- C:\ProgramData\wodcf83jd0yB

:Files
    ipconfig /flushdns /c

:Commands
    [purity]
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

• Check the boxes beside Verify Driver Digital Signature and Detect TDLFS file system, then click OK.

• Click the Start Scan button.

• If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results and offer three (3) options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue => Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.

• Note: If [color="#0000FF"]Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.[/b][/color]
A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste its contents on your next reply.

Keenath

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 01:29:44 AM »
Here's the OTL log.  Sorry for the delay.  As you can see, speed is not priority here.

Keenath

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »
TDSSKiller found a malicious rootkit.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
A few bits to remove from the OTL log, what are your current problems ?

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
    :OTL
    [2010/05/16 07:16:52 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] (Java Console) -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
    [2010/08/16 14:52:42 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] (Java Console) -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0021-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
    [2010/12/16 11:22:29 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] (Java Console) -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0023-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
    [2011/07/21 16:41:51 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] (Java Console) -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0026-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
    O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA} http://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_05-windows-i586.cab (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_05)

:Files
    ipconfig /flushdns /c

[purity]
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [Reboot]
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Keenath

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 01:19:29 AM »
Okay, I did that.

Here's the new log.

We don't seem to be having any more problems, I think the rootkit thing killed it pretty well.  I also ran a bootscan with Avast after that, and FINALLY for once, it came back with no issues.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »
OK run for a day or so and once you are happy I will remove my tools and tidy up

Keenath

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 10:11:05 PM »
My dad says he has had no problems since we killed that rootkit, so -- THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »
Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTL
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [Reboot]
Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:
  • Go to this site  and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version
SPRING CLEAN

To manually create a new Restore Point

• Go to Control Panel and select System
  • Select System
  • On the left select System Protection and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name i.e. Clean
  • Select Create
Now we can purge the infected ones
  • GoStart > All programs > Accessories > system tools
  • Right click Disc cleanup and select run as administrator
  • Select Your main drive and accept the warning if you get one
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Select the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
  • Select Delete on the pop up
  • Select OK
  • Select Delete
Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes.  Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?

Keep safe  :wave: