Author Topic: program settings does nothing  (Read 3588 times)

harry349

program settings does nothing
« on: November 17, 2004, 03:59:53 PM »
I just installed Avast 4.5.523 on a completely fresh XP SP2 install.  I did a custom install with only the "Standard Shield", as well as the default skin and English language help parts.

When I right-click the avast icon in the system tray, one of the options in the menu reads "Program Settings...".  If I select it, nothing happens.  When I was using version a pre-4.5 version of Avast on Win2k, I remember this menu being available.  Other items in the right-click menu seem to work fine.

Regardless, I should get the program settings dialog when I select this, or if there are truly no program settings to configure when only one provider is installed (I doubt this is the case) then the menu item should be grayed out.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:program settings does nothing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 04:14:46 PM »
Have you tried with the other providers installed?
Have you tried a repair of Avast?

harry349

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:37:02 AM »
I just tried both of those things.  Specifically, I added the "network shield" provider, checked and the "Program Settings..." right-click option still did nothing.  So then I repaired, and still nothing.

Ultimately I figured out that it was because I had not yet registered.  Once I registered, the program settings worked fine.

So I change my statement - if the option is there, when you click it, it should tell you you need to register instead of doing nothing at all.  That was rather confusing, as I just hadn't tried actually running the program from its program icon at all - I'd only used right-click options on the item in the system tray.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 12:16:40 PM »
When I right-click the avast icon in the system tray, one of the options in the menu reads "Program Settings...".  If I select it, nothing happens.

I did:
avast 4.1 > Betas > 4.5
Uninstall > avast Clear > Boot
Install 4.5.518 Home > update to 4.5.523 Home
Have the same problem  :-\

After correcting the Registration key and booting, problem solved.
The best things in life are free.