Author Topic: avast loads Outlook automatically after XP reboot?  (Read 2411 times)

wanchan

avast loads Outlook automatically after XP reboot?
« on: November 17, 2004, 08:26:46 PM »
Although I am not sure if it is avast that starts automatically Outlook 2003, Outlook never loaded itself till I starting use avast.

The above happened when I used either avast 4.1 or 4.5 Pro. Well, here are the details. After booted into XP and everything is loaded such as resident apps and OS services, Outlook 2003 will swiftly loads itself - a short blink of Outlook icon next to the SysTray. And then OUTLOOK.EXE will appear under Task Manager > Processes, and then avast 4.5 will indicate there are 7 providers instead of 6. The weird thing is that I cannt close OUTLOOK.EXE under Processes. When tried to ended it, it will be said that "Operatoon counld not be terminated. Access denied".

I use Outlook for everything except for email. Anyone else is having this annoyance?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:avast loads Outlook automatically after XP reboot?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 08:48:36 PM »
I never heard that avast can do it...
avast has only a plugin for Outlook... If you repair the Outlook installation maybe a new startup item was added.
The icon on the System Tray has a Menu... Can't you close Outlook running from there?

The new provider of avast is the Outlook plugin. It became 'on' when you start MS Outlook. As soon as Outlook is closed the plugin will be 'off'  ;)

Nothing to fear  8)
The best things in life are free.

wanchan

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 09:19:25 PM »
The icon on the System Tray has a Menu... Can't you close Outlook running from there?
No cant close it from there either.  ??? And this has been so ever since I installed Outlook 2003.

The new provider of avast is the Outlook plugin. It became 'on' when you start MS Outlook. As soon as Outlook is closed the plugin will be 'off'

Nothing to fear
That is what I want hear and I know I in good hands of avast.  :D I am doing a process of elimination here. I really didn't install much new software lately, except thos security apps under my signature. Well, posted the same inquiry on other security forums too, but no one has got a clue.  :-\ Maybe I want to try some Microsoft public news groups.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 09:23:27 PM by wanchan »

wanchan

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 09:48:23 PM »
You are right, Technical. I found the cause, nothing to do with avast ;)

I have a Pocket PC device which sync with Outlook using Microsoft ActiveSync. Whenever the Pocket PC is connected and the syncronization software is running, the problem I initially described will occur. I found the above problem disappeered if I disabled WindowsCE Suport under Outlook 2003 -> Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options...-> button Add-In Manager.

Sorry for fuss everyone. Again this problem has nothing to avast!!!