Author Topic: All currently available vpsupd.exe files are defective.  (Read 13993 times)

Offline xode

All currently available vpsupd.exe files are defective.
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:15:06 PM »
Whether it is for avast 4.8, 5 or 6, they all crash with "error extracting archive" when run.

iyogisolutions1

Re: All currently available vpsupd.exe files are defective.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »
Hi

If the size of the update file is 31 MB that's for Avast 5 & 6. If it's 38 MB that's for Avast 4.8

So please download the suitable updates from this URL: http://www.avast.com/download-update.

Thanks

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
Hi

If the size of the update file is 31 MB that's for Avast 5 & 6. If it's 38 MB that's for Avast 4.8

I don't think that is a "permanent" or constant size, so those numbers shouldn't be taken as a parameter.

So please download the suitable updates from this URL: http://www.avast.com/download-update.

Well, that URL is indeed the correct one for the official download.

@xode,

Why do you need to download the complete VPS? The built in definitions update is very small (between 10KB and 400KB).

Offline xode

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »
Hi

Thanks

This IS where I downloaded the files from and all were defective.

Offline xode

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »

<snip>

@xode,

Why do you need to download the complete VPS? The built in definitions update is very small (between 10KB and 400KB).

And when, for whatever reason, you need to do a complete reinstall, you need to have an update file.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:59:06 AM »

These files get updated once a day, so even if there was an error, it should be gone now.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline xode

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 11:06:57 AM »

These files get updated once a day, so even if there was an error, it should be gone now.

Since I have a dialup internet connection, it takes about 3 hours per file for me to download.  Therefore, I would like to at least get confirmation that the people who update those files have seen this and insured that the error is gone before I try again.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
Since I have a dialup internet connection, it takes about 3 hours per file for me to download.  Therefore, I would like to at least get confirmation that the people who update those files have seen this and insured that the error is gone before I try again.

Good luck.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
The people who update those files are not aware of any problem with them - and you seem to be the only one reporting that. So I'd say it's more likely that the file got corrupted during your download (the files are digitally signed - make sure the signature is valid to verify that the file is complete), or there's some problem with your particular installation.

What is the exact build of avast! you have installed?

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
@xode,
And when, for whatever reason, you need to do a complete reinstall, you need to have an update file.

That is not necessary at all. When you download the setup.exe for Avast to reinstall, it already includes one database. If you download the complete VPS again today, and reinstall Avast next month, the VPS is also "old".

After the (re)installation of Avast, you should reboot immediately. After rebooting and connecting to Internet, Avast will try to update the VPS. If you follow your original intention, you are downloading the VPS 3 times by then.

So I would say that you have no "real" reason for downloading the complete VPS now.

Moreover, using dial up, you download several KBs of data in every definitions update, which is more adequate for your type of connection. If you happen to have some download problem with such little download, then downloading the complete VPS is not going to be easier (with that same connection).

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »
In the past, the only time I'd have to download that defs exe was to update my wife's computer, which at the time didn't have internet access.  I've since swapped my router-modem for a wireless one, so don't even have to do that anymore.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 11:15:06 PM »
In the past, the only time I'd have to download that defs exe was to update my wife's computer, which at the time didn't have internet access.  I've since swapped my router-modem for a wireless one, so don't even have to do that anymore.
As xode is on a dialup internet connection he probably has no clue what you are talking about.  ;)

Offline xode

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
As xode is on a dialup internet connection he probably has no clue what you are talking about.  ;)

Sniping is not a reasonable course of action.  You probably have no clue what it means to be civil to others.

iroc9555

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 08:01:31 PM »

Since I have a dialup internet connection, it takes about 3 hours per file for me to download. 

I would say that in those 3 hours most likly you have an interruption of the service and that particular file downloaded with an error. Try again. I know is a pain. I had dial-up untill not so long ago.

Good luck.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
Avast! should distribute the file on Bittorrent too so he can download it always w/o corruption :)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive