Author Topic: Unclear Which Client Emails are coming from  (Read 5821 times)

zhaberman

Unclear Which Client Emails are coming from
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:27:42 PM »
Hello,
I have avast! to setup to send weekly/daily email notifications to us from each of our clients. The ADMN sends the emails via the SBS console, so I know right away where it came from.
The new Business Protection uses a web client to setup and (as far as I know) send the emails. Currently, I cannot tell where these emails are coming from without digging into the reports and checking the PC names.
Are there settings somewhere that allows me to, at the very least, add which client this is coming from?

I seem to be doing well with unanswerable problems in here! My last question hasn't even had one reply. :-P
Let's hope this one fairs better!

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Unclear Which Client Emails are coming from
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
Hi,
I not understand how you've set to send the mail.. you have configured SBC like here?

How can i get email alerts back?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=82263.0
This comes from VLK

avastcfg://avast5/Common/NetAlert            SMTP:yourname@domain.com
avastcfg://avast5/Communication/SMTPFrom     from_address@domain.com
avastcfg://avast5/Communication/SMTPPort     25
avastcfg://avast5/Communication/SMTPServer   yoursmtpserver.domain.com

Please note that this change becomes effective only after the shields are restarted (e.g. computer rebooted).
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

zhaberman

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:43:33 AM »
I am a recent hire here, and my boss is making me do this on my own as a learning experience. I'm not exactly sure where the group settings are. If you are talking about something that isn't through avast! admin console, then just point me to where I need to go and I will run with it :-D.
The steps I currently take through the avast! Admin Console are:
1. Run avast! Administration Console (a web browser loads the console)
2. Go to Jobs --> Scheduler.
3. Select Create New Job (in bottom right)
4. Enter the name/description
5. Go to Details and select Network Computers, Computers infected in last 24 hours
6. Set recipients to the company's info account.
7. Set the schedule to daily

I think what you are suggesting is setting this up via SBS rather than the avast! console?

If so, again, it would be wonderful to be able to understand where exactly I need to edit the user groups. That way I can be able to use that solution you posted :-)

Sorry for being a newbie!

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »
Ok now I understand.
The job you've created not permit to know the client as you said, You receive a report of all PC.

Then there's another option to configure client to send a mail when avast found a virus, you must go to network ->edit group settings->expert settings and you must find e set properly your mail & SMTP like I've posted before.

Then if a avast on a client find a virus you receive a mail and in the content you see the name of Pc like this:
avast! [NAMEPC]: File "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Documents\Download\eicar.com" is infected by "EICAR Test-NOT virus!!!".
Operation "File system protection" ....

Hope this help you..
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

zhaberman

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:14:21 AM »
Thank you, as I dig deeper into the problem, your solution has become a bit more clear. One of the other techs had to do this for Avast 4, but he isn't around and I want to confirm this with him.
I trust your solution, but I want to understand it, so am currently reading up on Business Protection (Plus) Administrators Guide.
Again, thank you! And I will let you know the final outcome along with my steps in resolving the issue.

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:20:08 AM »
I trust your solution, but I want to understand it, so am currently reading up on Business Protection (Plus) Administrators Guide.

You're welcome.. but remember, there's no this tip in the administrator guide.
Please report back if this solve or not.
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

zhaberman

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28:30 AM »
Problem Solved:
I don't have to dig quite as deep as you suggested, which was a stress reliever for me (although it can be done from network ->edit group settings->expert settings)
I will reiterate the problem and then provide the solution:
Problem: I wanted to know from which client the reports were coming from.
Solution:
Go to Admin -> Settings -> Advanced Mode.
Under Emails:
* you can change the from address to a spoof address, if you like.
* Change the From Name to the appropriate client, say "BIll's avast! BPP Report".
* DO NOT change the SMTP settings below this.

Had I set this up from install to delivery, I would have seen it right away. It turns out my boss is a *little* upset with a coworker who did not document this well-enough... oops!

You can verify that this works by generating a report after you have saved the settings.