Author Topic: How to send files to Avast?  (Read 3189 times)

Gordona

How to send files to Avast?
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
I am getting Error: The file is a decompression bomb. (42110), on two taxact files.
File ta08upsw.exe and ta10upsw.exe.  I think both are false positive errors.

Running Avast free version 6.0.1367,  def file version 111206-01. In windows XP SP3.
Right clicking the file, scan with Avast, will reproduce the error.

I attempted to send file ta08upsw.exe to virus@avast.com as an attachment.  My email service uses Google mail (gmail).  Gmail will not allow me to send an exe file in an attachment, ever if it is included in a zip file.  So I renamed the file to ta08upsw.TXT.
This allowed me to send the file in, but is there a better work around that Avast would like us to use to send files in for testing?

Thanks,  Gordon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to send files to Avast?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »
No point in sending this.

- Decompression Bomb, a file that is highly compressed, which could be very large when decompressed. This used to be a tactic long ago to swamp the system, also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15389.msg131213#msg131213.

The name really is the most dangerous thing about this and I wish they would change it or simply not report it, a real PITA.

These highly compressed files are generally 'archive' files which are inert, don't present an immediate risk until they are unpacked. If you happen to select 'All packers' in your on-demand scans then you are more likely to come across this type of thing. Personally it is a waste of time scanning 'all packers' and that is why it isn't enabled by default.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

####
However, should you ever need to send a file to avast:
Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gordona

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:57:33 PM »
Thanks for the information David.
I had done a search and found a thread that said to send files into Avast, you should zip the file, or files, and email to virus@avast.com.
If I ever need to send files in again, I will use the chest as you instructed.  That would get me around the Gmail restrictions.

Gordon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »
You're welcome.

There is no need to zip (and password protect) them if you send from the chest, this is by far the easiest option. The file size would also be a factor in A) sending to the chest (16MB) and B) then sending to the labs.

So stuff like decompression bomb reports would probably hit the same issue, but in all honesty there is no need to send them anyway.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
I attempted to send file ta08upsw.exe to virus@avast.com as an attachment.  My email service uses Google mail (gmail).  Gmail will not allow me to send an exe file in an attachment, ever if it is included in a zip file.  So I renamed the file to ta08upsw.TXT.
This allowed me to send the file in, but is there a better work around that Avast would like us to use to send files in for testing?
That is why you need to use a zip program that will also encrypt the content of the zip file so that gmail cant see whats inside

7zip or win.rar will do the trick   ;)