Author Topic: Outgoing mail - multiple SMTP servers  (Read 8348 times)

UpLateVA

Outgoing mail - multiple SMTP servers
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:46:24 PM »
New Avast user here, and very impressed with the program.  But I've found one problem with outgoing mail, when using different SMTP servers for different accounts.

Avast: 4.5.523
Internet connection:  DSL
Mail client:  Outlook Express 6.0

I have several accounts set up in MSOE, which utilize different POP3 and SMTP servers.  After installing Avast, I used the Mail Wizard to modify those accounts, and also to identify the default POP3 & SMTP servers.  Avast is set to scan both incoming and outgoing messages.

For incoming messages, everything works fine in all accounts.  The messages are scanned and they download properly.

For outgoing messages, everything works fine for messages sent from the account using the default SMTP server.  But for messages sent from other accounts, the email client produces an error message:
Code: [Select]
An unknown error has occurred. Subject '[subject line]', Account: '[account name]', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 Authentication Required', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6FI've checked the settings for the non-default accounts in MSOE, and everything appears to be correct.  Those accounts are set to use 127.0.01 as both POP3 and SMTP server; the user name has the real server address appended ("username#mail.myserver.com"); the "server authentication" box is checked; and the SMTP authentication is set for "use same settings as incoming".

If I change the SMTP settings for one of the other accounts to use the default SMTP server, the messages will go out.  But the messages don't go out when the account is set up to use its own SMTP server.  (I can use the default SMTP server most of the time on all accounts, but I do want to be able to use the other SMTP servers as well.)

Have I overlooked something here?  Or is this perhaps a bug in the program?  And if so, is there a work-around?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

bubbear

Re:Outgoing mail - multiple SMTP servers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 12:02:29 AM »
Most ISP's will only let you connect to their SMTP server if you are actually connected to them via dialup or broadband. This is to stop spamming from third parties. If you are connected to ISP A and you try to use ISP B SMTP it won't connect. Use ISP A SMTP settings for all your accounts. If you chop and change your connections you are going to have difficulties.........

Bubbear

UpLateVA

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 12:13:59 AM »
Thank you for the comment, but that doesn't really address my question.  I know that I can modify the various email accounts to use a single SMTP server -- but my question was whether I can continue to use multiple SMTP servers.

The alternative SMTP servers that I've been using are fully compatible with my ISP.  I could change between them easily, before Avast was installed.  And if I turn off outgoing mail scanning in Avast (and restore the original SMTP settings in MSOE), all accounts are again operational with their own SMTP servers.

The help file for Avast says the program should work with multiple SMTP servers, and the program settings provide for that.  But it didn't work properly when I tried it.

My question is whether that feature can be made to work, or whether it's a bug in the program.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 01:54:00 AM »
Sorry, I have the same (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=8773;start=15#lastPost) and most probably seems a bug or something strange...  :-\

The help file for Avast says the program should work with multiple SMTP servers, and the program settings provide for that.  But it didn't work properly when I tried it.

It should work... I have one of my computers working perfectly with 4 different smtp servers accounts. Another computer, that I think has the same configuration, always fail to send authenticated messages...  :'(
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:55:40 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

UpLateVA

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 02:32:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  The good news is that my problem seems to be resolved.  ;D

I rebooted, and OE is now working with multiple SMTP servers again, and Avast is scanning outgoing messages sent via all servers.

I had rebooted once before, and that didn't make a difference - but this time it did.

bubbear

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 11:07:11 AM »
Well the answer I provided fitted with the information you provided in your initial post.

This additional info

The alternative SMTP servers that I've been using are fully compatible with my ISP.  I could change between them easily, before Avast was installed.  And if I turn off outgoing mail scanning in Avast (and restore the original SMTP settings in MSOE), all accounts are again operational with their own SMTP servers.

changes the picture completely. If you don't provide the complete scenario how can anyone answer you correctly?

Bubbear

UpLateVA

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 10:06:19 PM »
Alas, my report of success was premature.  

I thought my test email account was sending via an alterantive SMTP server, but in fact, it was using the default SMTP server.  The alternative servers still aren't working properly with MSOE and Avast.  :P

I'm able to send messages via the default SMTP server (scanned by Avast), but would still like to be able to restore the ability to use alternative SMTP servers as well.

I understand that an updated version of Avast is expected soon, which may address some of the problems with outgoing mail which have been posted in this forum.  That raises a question, concerning how Avast functions with different operating system.

The current version of Avast provides different set-ups for email scanning, depending on the OS:
(1) "automatic" detection and scanning for all communications with POP3/SMTP servers (without changing email account settings) for WinNT/XP users; and
(2) changed account settings in email clients (server address:  127.0.0.1; with the actual server address appended to user name) for Win98/ Me users.

Can anyone advise whether the "automatic" server detection system will be extended to Win98/ Me in the next Avast update (or in some future version)?  Or will new versions continue to utilize the current system of changing email account settings, for users running Win98/ Me?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 03:12:06 PM »
It should work... I have one of my computers working perfectly with 4 different smtp servers accounts. Another computer, that I think has the same configuration, always fail to send authenticated messages...  :'(

Now, none of the two computers is sending authenticated SMTP email  :( :-\ :'(
Alwil, nothing to do? I've already patched ashMaiSv.exe... What can I do more?  :-\ :'(

UpLateVA

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 02:10:41 PM »
 ;D Update: After upgrading to 4.5.542 and 4.5.546, the problem appears to be fixed.  

Avast is now working cooperatively with multiple SMTP servers (as specified in various accounts).  The program now scans outgoing mail from each account, and then sends it to the appropriate SMTP server for that account.

Mail client:  MSOE 6.0
Accounts:  Server authentication, non-SSL
Connection:  DSL
Firewall:  ZA

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 06:18:30 PM »
;D Update: After upgrading to 4.5.542 and 4.5.546, the problem appears to be fixed.  

Avast is now working cooperatively with multiple SMTP servers (as specified in various accounts).  The program now scans outgoing mail from each account, and then sends it to the appropriate SMTP server for that account.

Mail client:  MSOE 6.0
Accounts:  Server authentication, non-SSL
Connection:  DSL
Firewall:  ZA

Like yours, my problems were completely solved  8)