Author Topic: Unknow Performance Bug?  (Read 4427 times)

TaKiLLeR

Unknow Performance Bug?
« on: November 20, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »
Since I've installed Avast 35600b I've experienced a high amount of performance loss in my MacBook 10.7.2 4 GB ram I don't think its a CPU usage issue as the program seems to be using what I think is a normal amount for a anti-virus but back to the point my MacBook has slowed down so much, I constantly take care of my mac to insure maximum performance but since the installation of version 35600b Performance has halved! PLEASE FIX! 

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Unknow Performance Bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
Hallo TaKiLLeR,

so far we never saw such dramatic performance decrease during our testing so we are definitely interested in more info.

• Could you please describe what's your typical use of your mac? What kinds of applications are you running when you see the performance loss?
  • Do you often work with large files? Are you using with some input/output intensive applications?
  • Can you try to disable filesystem shield (in System preferences >> Avast >> Shields) to check that's the culprit?
  • Can you either check system logs if there is anything suspicious, or upload them so we can take a look in them? (/var/log/system.log, /var/log/kernel.log, /var/log/fileshield.log).

Regards,
Mity

TaKiLLeR

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:25:49 AM »
so far we never saw such dramatic performance decrease during our testing so we are definitely interested in more info.

*  Could you please describe what's your typical use of your mac?
my typical use is mainly for application developing and music production

What kinds of applications are you running when you see the performance loss?
Xcode 4.2.1, VirtualDJ 7, TechTool Pro 6, FL Studios 10, GarageBand, & Sometimes even Firefox!

Do you often work with large files? Are you using with some input/output intensive applications?
Yes Xcode 4.2.1 (but performance loss was never a issue until Avast 3600b was installed)

Can you try to disable filesystem shield (in System preferences >> Avast >> Shields) to check that's the culprit?
i've uninstalled Avast And removed all files linked to Avast after the uninstall and performance was great once again then i installed Avast again and performance dropped!.

Can you either check system logs if there is anything suspicious, or upload them so we can take a look in them? (/var/log/system.log, /var/log/kernel.log, /var/log/fileshield.log).
every thing looks ok to me i think

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »

*  Could you please describe what's your typical use of your mac?
my typical use is mainly for application developing and music production

What kinds of applications are you running when you see the performance loss?
Xcode 4.2.1, VirtualDJ 7, TechTool Pro 6, FL Studios 10, GarageBand, & Sometimes even Firefox!

Do you often work with large files? Are you using with some input/output intensive applications?
Yes Xcode 4.2.1 (but performance loss was never a issue until Avast 3600b was installed)

Can you try to disable filesystem shield (in System preferences >> Avast >> Shields) to check that's the culprit?
i've uninstalled Avast And removed all files linked to Avast after the uninstall and performance was great once again then i installed Avast again and performance dropped!.

Can you either check system logs if there is anything suspicious, or upload them so we can take a look in them? (/var/log/system.log, /var/log/kernel.log, /var/log/fileshield.log).
every thing looks ok to me i think

Hallo,
or try second method:

- switch all resident shields off (via Preferences pane), make sure no file is scanned - is the performance back to normal? should be, because in this state there's no feed of to-be-scanned files.

- try to switch each of the particular shields separately on, and monitor the performance. is it fileshield, who causes this? probably yes, because web-downloaded stuff is limited by the network bandwidth, and shouldn't cause such overhead.

- try to monitor which apps are running at the moment - some of them must be owned by the user,
and consuming some cpu time, doing some repetitive action on FS (appending and closing some big log, for example). this might be the real culprit of the overhead.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)