Author Topic: Mail Scanner  (Read 5279 times)

kojak

Mail Scanner
« on: August 16, 2003, 04:20:54 AM »
Why does the mail scanner scan both inbound and outbound mail twice?  Thanks in advance.

techie101

Re:Mail Scanner
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 08:43:40 PM »
Kojak,

What do you mean by scanning twice?
What makes you believe that Avast runs a double scan of incoming and outgoing mail?

???

kojak

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 09:11:04 PM »
For every email that arrives, the same verbage is displayed twice in the "avast! On-Access Scanner Message" window.   Correcting my initial message regarding this behaviour, double info messages appear only for inbound email processing.

Could this possibly be associated with the viris scan followed by the note being embedded?  If this is the case both code and time are being wasted.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 09:22:26 PM by kojak »

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 07:45:33 AM »
Your email client my be using both TOP and RETR commands when receiving email.  TOP scans your header information and RETR receives the rest of the message.  This causes Avast email scan status window to show the same file being scanned twice.  Check your option for email log file in your email client and you will get a better idea of what is going on when downloading messages.

If you have message rules set up in your email client than you will most likely have the TOP command when downloading messages.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 07:47:05 AM by Culpeper »

Jarron

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 09:47:52 AM »
My Outlook/Exchange provider scans mail first on download, and then again when I open it.  (I don't know about Internet Mail provider, I don't use it).

I can tell because of the icon that flashes up in the system tray, and also because of the scanned count on the On-Access Protection Control box.

kojak

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 03:55:22 PM »
If you have message rules set up in your email client than you will most likely have the TOP command when downloading messages.

I am using message rules.  Interesting...

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 04:47:10 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with the outlook exchange part of the email scanner.  I'm using Outlook Express.  I have the Avast email status window option turned on.  And it shows the same file scanned twice during the download process.  I don't think this is a bad thing.  I think it is just because of the TOP and RETR functions used by Outlook Express when dowloading messages from the ISP mail server.