Author Topic: Avast Internet Security (6.0.1289) - Firewall Issues. (Licensed Version)  (Read 3910 times)

alex000

Are there plans to improve the layout/useability of the Firewall user interface?
There are several issues with the existing one, least of all the problem with profiles and applications.

Popups:
When a new application is detected, it will pop up asking what to do with it.
If this application tries a LOT of things at the same time, you'll get 10-15-20-+++ popups, or even crash the AvastUI.  The best test case for this would be with "SteamOverlay" from Valves Steam app when you launch a new steam game. Since it attempts to poll various servers http, https and otherwise for server-information.

The GUI should let you answer ONCE and have it apply to all the requests, or better yet, have all the requests listed in a (textbox) and then let you pick from the list, or just have one overall response (allow/deny/custom (from your selections)).

Default Settings:
There needs to be a 'Load Default Avast Profile Settings' button, so you can get the Default Avast Profile set up, to allow it to function. In addition, the DEFAULT Profile information should be colour coded differently than User Configured / Automated settings, to it is easy to distinguish them.

Firewall settings:
Packet Rules:
If you remove some of the profiles, for instance "VPN - ESP" it will automatically appear again.  The default settings need to be explained/identified and also, you should be able to override them.

Network Connections:
When trying to sort the defaults, since the layout is a tree structure, there is no way to have it list
c:\program files\Avast\AvastUI.exe:1060 -> port information
c:\program files\avast\AvastUI.exe:1070 -> port information

Instead it lists like
c:\program files\avast\avastui.exe
-- port information

I'd like both options.  

Since the only way to list on a single line would be to use the other sorting headings, but then you will not get everything listed alphabetically per application, nor see its process ID.

There should also be a FILTER Option here.

When right clicking an application it should let you make a PROFILE for the application.

Network Connections should also let you list "BLOCKED" applications that are currently active, so you can change their profile, or see what they were attempting to access - before being blocked.

Application Rules:
One problem I've had here is that, on some of the groups, when you delete its content, the group doesn't disappear, or still says "(1)" etc.

Another issue is that you get too many groups, under different headings, like microsoft, EA, etc.  When you are asked about a new profile definition for a new application you should be allwed to group it under your own headings, like "games", "applications" etc.

Also it should be possible to multi-select apps and put them under new group headings.
And, an option to just show Paths, and sort by this (or other, deny, block, etc), instead of having group headings.

The application rules also have a tendency to create multiple application profiles for many apps, for instance I have two "Avast! Antivirus Update" with "Friends out" and "Friends in and Internet out" as the two options.

Delete GROUP fails if there are applications under it -- You should be allowed to delete a group AND its contents.

When clearing a group content, the (x) count on the heading remains.

No sorting functions, or expanded view.  I'd like to be able to see

c:\program files\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder.exe - Friends In/internet Out
c:\games\ea\Sometitle.exe - Internet Out
etc..

In addition to having

-Games(1)
-- c:\games\ea\sometitle.exe
+Microsoft Corporation (11)
+Avalanche STudios (2)

As an option.

Also; You should be allowed to set a folder and have it automatically group anything in it, if they have a firewall profile, under the same heading, to save you from having to add each setting to a group.

AND there should be an option to allow you to modify a "profile" setting for a GROUP, instead of having to put it to each application contained within.

Logs:
Currently, my fw.db is 1.7GB and it took 10 minutes to open up the "Logs" window. So I'm looking for a way to disable that.  Pressing "Clear Log" is .. still counting (10 minutes later).

There should be a way to set a max size for the log file, and also to not have the entire AvastGUI crash when you try to open it.

I would also like to be able to filter the log display.

Under Avast SEttings - Maintenance; there are options for AUTO CLEANUP, but this does not seem to apply for the FIREWALL logs.  In fact, you should be able to set a setting for each log type idependently.

On Flash:
Considering the number of security exploits there have been with Adobe Flash it is HORRIBLE for an Security application to even remotely request to use it. Not to mention your dependency on a third party app/patchlevel for your own application adds complication.  You can do nice "fluff" using HTML5, and this will undoubtedly be much faster, in addition to allowing users to view the html data outside of the AvastGUI if they wish.

Edit: Will fill out rest later, have to crash the AvastUI to continue.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:10:01 PM by alex000 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Internet Security (6.0.1289) - Firewall Issues. (Licensed Version)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »
or even crash the AvastUI
You should have dumps in the \log folder of avast (ProgramData).
Maybe you could send them for analysis.

Application Rules:
One problem I've had here is that, on some of the groups, when you delete its content, the group doesn't disappear, or still says "(1)" etc.
Well... This was asked a lot of times...
The grouping is not a good idea for advanced users. Why not file and path sorting?

And, an option to just show Paths, and sort by this (or other, deny, block, etc), instead of having group headings.
+1000

No sorting functions, or expanded view.  I'd like to be able to see
+1
The best things in life are free.

alex000

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 02:47:23 AM »
Another annoyance;
Is there any way to DISABLE the Firewall logging? I found no way of doing so, and it really only harms the "performance" as well as fill my hard-drive space (1.8GB and counting).

alex000

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
Another annoyance;
Is there any way to DISABLE the Firewall logging? I found no way of doing so, and it really only harms the "performance" as well as fill my hard-drive space (1.8GB and counting).

Nobody knows?

I cleared the Firewall log, yet Fw.db file still grows...