Author Topic: is anything really needed ???  (Read 9214 times)

Hermite15

is anything really needed ???
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »
"Google guru blasts Android virus doomsayers as 'charlatans'"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/21/mobile_security_dust_up/

"Virus companies are playing on your fears to try to sell you BS protection software for Android, RIM, and, iOS," DiBona said on Google+. "They are charlatans and scammers. If you work for a company selling virus protection for Android, RIM or iOS, you should be ashamed of yourself."

I'm not saying anything, just reporting ;D I'm actually hearing a lot of reports about Android, not much about iOS, not mentioning that the time when Apple will approve an AV app on iOS hasn't come yet lol :D ... as to jailbreaking an iPhone to install a protection system, if any available, I will pass ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:59:29 PM by logos »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: is anything really needed ???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
Only nonsense is the comment of this supposed guru. Pretty much all AV companies offer AV part as free solution, be it Norton, Trend Micro, DrWeb, Rising, Comodo and now avast!. WHat they don't offer for free are features beyond viruses and are mostly anti-theft features like phone lock/wipe, phone locator etc. So bottom line, AV companies aren't selling BS to the users as they are offering malware protection for free.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
yeah because they like smartphone users  ;D

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »
not mentioning that the time when Apple will approve an AV app on iOS hasn't come yet lol :D ...

There is, as far as I know, one AV app for IOS :

http://www.intego.com/virusbarrierios/

But it has no Real Time protection, only a very limited On Demand scanner :-\

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:24:43 PM »
and btw ... remote lock/wipe/geolocation has been available for ages on iOS  ::)

Trooper

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »
I am hoping that with this forum being added, that Avast will soon have an AV on the Android Market?  ;)

dagrev

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
Virus' and the like seem limited and short lived, but some appear to get had before it's known.

Malicious cloned games attack Google Android Market
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/12/12/malicious-cloned-games-attack-google-android-market/?utm_source=Naked+Security+-+Sophos+List&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=aaabc8f6a7-naked%252Bsecurity

How real the problem is now is argued by some, but sooner or later it seems it will be a real problem to deal with.  It's too big a field to be ignored by hackers and the like.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

helpdeskneko

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »
I used lookout from the day I got my phone because I use it for business, process credit card transactions via my phone, and have my business files sync'd via dropbox. I don't install non-market apps because I've yet to find one I needed that badly.

I Stopped using lookout when I started getting serious slow downs and problems with their setup after they moved to the Pro options being locked out. Installed avast the day I saw it on the market- haven't regretted it one bit, it uses less than 1% of my battery and is an added comfort.

Now that I've read multiple reports of marketplace apps containing malware to cost me money - as well as applications that have push banner ads to notifications....I think I'll trust avast! to warn me of potential threats over waiting till my bill arrives.

alwayschaotic

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
I really like BETA. I love that it has also allowed me to delete several other small app. I just hope they will add MMS to the call block and MS features. 

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »
This new guy in our family of products - avast! Mobile Security - is named by purpose. I won't say that a antivirus isn't necessary for an Android device, because it wouldn't be true. I just think the "mobile security" means a lot more than an antivirus. Thats why we've taken seriously our Anti-Theft part and packed something which is the best.

Note that this is an initial version. It'll live long. There will be new features ;) ... And yes, it'll stay free of charge.