Author Topic: need help configuring  (Read 6068 times)

pyramid2000

need help configuring
« on: February 21, 2003, 08:25:45 PM »
I just installed Avast! 4 home version and don't think I've got it set up correctly.  I use Compuserve 2000 for my email program, connect to the Internet with Adelphia cable, but do not use their mail.  I connect to Compuserve not with a regular modem but via ISP/LAN connection.

When I click the "A" icon in my taskbar, the installed providers show Internet Mail, Outlook Express (which is installed but I don't use it), and Standard Shield, but no Compuserve.  How can I get my Compuserve to be recognized by AVast!?

When I download files, I noticed that if I right-click on the downloaded file, I have the option to scan it with Avast.  If I remeber to do that with each file, is that all the protection that I need?

Thanks--
Danny

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:need help configuring
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 10:09:08 AM »
Hmm, I guess you have no idea how Compuserve 2000 works - what protocol(s) it uses etc...

In short, avast Internet Mail protection is only able to scan mail transfered by the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 protocols. If this is not the case with Compuserve, then sorry, avast mail scanner will not work for you...  ;)

When I download files, I noticed that if I right-click on the downloaded file, I have the option to scan it with Avast.  If I remeber to do that with each file, is that all the protection that I need?

:) No, you really don't have to do this! This is why virtually every AV program (avast including) has so called 'on-access' scanner. The scanner does the job automatically - you really don't have to do any scans manually... The on-access scanner in avast! is called Standard Shield - you may have noticed it in the status window...

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

pyramid2000

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 04:40:34 PM »

Hmm, I guess you have no idea how Compuserve 2000 works - what protocol(s) it uses etc...

In short, avast Internet Mail protection is only able to scan mail transfered by the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 protocols. If this is not the case with Compuserve, then sorry, avast mail scanner will not work for you...  

I'll check with Compuserve and try to get SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 protocols.  ???

No, you really don't have to do this! This is why virtually every AV program (avast including) has so called 'on-access' scanner. The scanner does the job automatically - you really don't have to do any scans manually... The on-access scanner in avast! is called Standard Shield - you may have noticed it in the status window...

Until I get the SMTP, etc. configured, scanning individual files by right-clicking will still work, wont' it?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 08:07:26 AM »
Hi,

Until I get the SMTP, etc. configured, scanning individual files by right-clicking will still work, wont' it?

Sure, but all I was trying to say is that you don't really have to do it... ;) The 'Standard Shield' (which is not dependent on anything like SMTP/POP3/IMAP4 etc.) should take care of it, automatically. :)

In short, you have multiple lines of defense. The mail module is just one of them.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

pyramid2000

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 06:32:12 AM »
Hi Vlk --

I got an answer from Compuserve, and it follows:

CompuServe does not support POP3 for reading of mailboxes, but you can use IMAP to read and SMTP to send e-mail using a third-party program.

Here are the settings:

Account Name: Your CompuServe Screen Name (without the @cs.com part).
Password : Your CompuServe password.
Email Address : Your Screen Name with @cs.com after it.
Incoming Mail Server Type : IMAP
Incoming Server Name : imap.cs.com
Outgoing Mail Server : smtp.cs.com

Is this the information that I need to configure Avast!?  Does it matter that it does not support POP3?

Thanks!
Danny

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 09:34:17 AM »
It does not matter, you can use IMAP instead of POP3. Choose some e-mail program that supports SMTP and IMAP, configure it according to the Compuserve info and test if it works. Then use the wizard (menu Start -> Programs -> avast! antivirus -> Mail Protection Wizard) to set the virus protection. The wizard supports these mail programs: MS Outlook, Exchange, Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail and Netscape (up to version 6). If you choose another program you will have to set protection manually according to avast help (Setting up mail protection -> Manual Setting of Mail Protection).