Author Topic: Avast removal tool NOT digitally signed - it was before  (Read 2424 times)

Phoenix3434

Avast removal tool NOT digitally signed - it was before
« on: November 24, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
Hey guys. So I ran into Avast 5 issues yesterday. Online Amor started flagging avast.setup as an unrecognized file and kept bugging me for permission to Approve or Block every time. First time this has happened. Not sure whether this is an Avast on OA problem. Anyways, even after I approved, it still didn't download the latest definitions (this was on 23rd Nov).

In any case, I tried to uninstall Avast in my admin account and it got crapped out 1/2 through. I downloaded the latest aswclear uninstall tool and guess what, it's not digitally signed. So I thought maybe it's released by some other team other than the general release team - who SHOULD digitally sign all executables.

Then I noticed an older aswclear sitting in my folder (for Avast 4), and that version IS digitally signed. So, my question is - what's up? Someone took the aswclear tool from the general release path and didn't tell those guys that digitally signing an executable is very important - especially given Avast is a security team?
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:49:34 PM by Phoenix3434 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast removal tool NOT digitally signed - it was before
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
I hope they digitally sign the uninstall tool.
But, avast.setup will always change due to the update process. It's a temporary file generated to update.
The best things in life are free.

Phoenix3434

Re: Avast removal tool NOT digitally signed - it was before
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:58:03 PM »
I hope they digitally sign the uninstall tool.
But, avast.setup will always change due to the update process. It's a temporary file generated to update.

Yeah, that's what I thought - I looked at the folder to verify the signature of the avast.setup file itself - but I didn't see it there in the normal file listing.