Author Topic: Avast and SlimCleaner  (Read 7377 times)

Nesivos

Avast and SlimCleaner
« on: November 27, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »
I am using several of the Slimware Cloud based utilities.  One of them is named SlimCleaner

http://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimcomputer_after_download.php

When SlimCleaner is installed you can right click on a file while in Windows Explorer and have the file uploaded to the Cloud for a scan.  I uploaded a file and lo and behind check out the Anti-Virus programs that SlimCleaner uses.

Question:  Does anyone know anything about this?

Which version of Avast they are using and how often they update the virus definitions.

So it appears that avast! does worth with W8-DP. ;D :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast and SlimCleaner
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:38:02 PM »
Slim programs are good ones. The driver update and the cleaners.
But, of course, you need to ask if you really need them if you can use avast directly or virustotal to check the files on demand.
I know... You're on W8 and avast does not work there...
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
Slim programs are good ones. The driver update and the cleaners.
But, of course, you need to ask if you really need them if you can use avast directly or virustotal to check the files on demand.
I know... You're on W8 and avast does not work there...

I use all three of their programs SlimCleaner, SlimComputer and SlimDrivers

SlimCleaner is useful for cleaning left over files checking Browser add-ons, preventing hi-jacking and optimization.  SlimCleaner also appears to find and clean files that the CCleaner default settings don't.

You can also right click on a file in Windows 7 to use the SlimCleaner virus check.  This is very convenient.

Right clicking a file is a more convenient than navigating to the Virus Total website even with a bookmark.   Besides if SlimCleaner Cloud uses Avast why would I need to use Virus Total? :) :)  Only to double check for a possible FP which rarely occurs.

By the way you didn't answer my questions, but I do appreciate your sarcasm ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
Besides if SlimCleaner Cloud uses Avast why would I need to use Virus Total? :) :)  Only to double check for a possible FP which rarely occurs.
Because virus total uses more than 40 antivirus on the test and avast is only one...

Sorry, no sarcarm in my words.

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:57:24 PM »
Besides if SlimCleaner Cloud uses Avast why would I need to use Virus Total? :) :)  Only to double check for a possible FP which rarely occurs.
Because virus total uses more than 40 antivirus on the test and avast is only one...

Sorry, no sarcarm in my words.

So based upon your logic avast! and say Malwarebytes are not sufficient to give surfers adequate Malware protection ??? ???

As long as SlimCleaner uses Avast then I see no need for overkill and wasting time in using Virus Total unless Avast on my computer or in the Cloud via SlimCleaner identifies something as Malware.  Then Virus Total would be worth using to see if the file identified by avast! as Malware might be a FP.

You still haven't answered my questions.  I guess you don't know the answers. :o :o

The reason this whole thing came up is because I ran a scan with Hitman Pro and it said that the file had suspicious characteristics.  So when I went to delete it in Windows Explorer by right clicking on it I noticed the option to scan it using SlimCleaner so I did so.  Neither AIS nor Malwarebytes that are on my computer have ever identified this file as suspiciouson my computer.    So when it came up clean using SlimCleaner Cloud scan I decided to leave it on my computer.  I prefer to keep at least the latest version of installers on my computer.  This has proved worthwhile as more than few times over the years I have had occasion to reinstall some software and as long as the installer installs the current release of the software it is more convenient to reinstall off the installer file on my computer than having to download it again.   My computers have lots and lots of free disk space. :) :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:09:05 PM by Nesivos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
So based upon your logic avast! and say Malwarebytes are not sufficient to give surfers adequate Malware protection ??? ???
Well, you can't compare avast + MBAM with 40 antivirus engines.
For on demand scanning, virus total offers much more than Slim.

You still haven't answered my questions.  I guess you don't know the answers. :o :o

Read your questions again:

I've answered this one.

Which version of Avast they are using and how often they update the virus definitions.
I don't know this answer so I haven't answered it.

avast does not work on W8 as resident. I suppose you're using Slim at W8 then.

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
Well, you can't compare avast + MBAM with 40 antivirus engines.
For on demand scanning, virus total offers much more than Slim.

You still haven't answered my questions.  I guess you don't know the answers. :o :o

Read your questions again:

I've answered this one.

I don't know this answer so I haven't answered it.

avast does not work on W8 as resident. I suppose you're using Slim at W8 then.

Nope you didn't answer any of them.

When I asked if anyone knows about this I was referring to the quote above which it appears that you don't know the answers to .

In your defense I could have worded it more clearly. :)

Thanks for your input about SlimCleaner and Virus Total.

Maybe someone else who reads this will know which version of avast!, SlimCleaner uses and how often the virus definitions are updated.  I can always ask SlimCleaner but I thought  maybe someone from Avast would drop by read the post and know the answers.   

cheers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
In your defense I could have worded it more clearly. :)
I have no need to be defended here ;)