Author Topic: want to install avast but can't get rid of other virus programs  (Read 14206 times)

zfactor

Re: want to install avast but can't get rid of other virus programs
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
is anything from nortons left in the programs list? try to run the uninstall again. Uninstall Norton Online Backup by using its Setup Wizard.

Step 1 Close all programs including Norton Online Backup. If the Norton Online Backup application is running, please right-click the Norton Online Backup icon in the left bottom corner, and then select Exit.

Step 1 Click Start, Click All programs and find the Norton Online Backup.

Step 2 Click Modify, Repair or Remove.

Step 2 Select Remove in the open dialog window of the Setup Window

Step 3 Uninstall Norton Online Backup

Step 4 In the Confirm window confirm or cancel the application uninstallation.

Click Remove to continue Step 5 Wait till program files and registry keys are removed

Step 6 PC should be restarted after removal of Norton Online Backup to finish the uninstallation process correctly.

zfactor

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
to add once you do this you will need the mcafee uninstall tool from here:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

and webroot here:

http://support.webroot.com/cgi-bin/webroot.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1761

once done i suggest a minimum of ccleaner or better something like jv16 powertools to help clean the registry for anything left.

ady4um

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »
What do I do?? It has even tried to open internet explored which I don't really use, I use firefox which I opened to check with you guys. HELP My guess would be to CANCEL??

Unless you have some on line backup service with Norton, then yes you should cancel. Why Norton would need to connect anywhere to uninstall their security tools? Are you sure you read all the relevant info about the specific removal utility you downloaded? Is it the "correct" removal utility?

It seems to me that you are not so sure what exactly you have in that system you bought. Maybe you have some (already) paid product from Norton installed and you are not taking advantage from it?

Any idea if you have some backup with Norton?

Do you have any progress with the potential malware issue (that should be still your first priority)?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »
Gunnydawn are you uninstalling the program ( Norton ) first from add remove programs ? this needs to be done first then reboot before running the uninstall tools.

Gunnydawn

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »
OK I am so sure I am messing things up here. Can anyone tell me how or where to look to see if things are installed on my pc? The only things I know about is to go to, Start, then programs and look. Or Start, Control panel, programs. What other way is there?

What I am getting at is I ran the avg removal tool and I think it is gone.
I ran the norton removal tool and it appears to be gone.
But I never ran any others yet. I couldn't find them in the first place in programs, it was that iyogi woman that found them. Where did she find this so I can look there and see if the others are really gone?

ady4um No I still haven't ran anything to look for the malware. Is that something I should have done first? I thought I had to get rid of the conflicting virus programs so my avast would run right before I did anything else. UGH see I'm messing things up here. This is so above my pay grade, lol. (But I haven't quit yet.)

Gunnydawn

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
I had also posted, as advised in the beginning of this thread, about this mimar sinan in viruses and worms http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89158.0

Got this back from Donz63
This might shed some light: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=3402

The registry key has existed on my XP installation from day 1.

Got to watch those iYogi folks ... ::)

So maybe this is nothing to worry about after all. :) I hope, I hope. OK I know somewhere someone told me where to find an anti malware thing? I think I need to download something and run it. So the avast doesn't find malware??

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:56:29 PM by Gunnydawn »

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »
So maybe this is nothing to worry about after all. :) I hope, I hope. OK I know somewhere someone told me where to find an anti malware thing? I think I need to download something and run it. So the avast doesn't find malware??

Do you mean MalwareBytes AntiMalware?

avast! finds malware. ;)
After all, it is an antivirus.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:07:25 AM by Donovansrb10 »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
OK I am so sure I am messing things up here. Can anyone tell me how or where to look to see if things are installed on my pc? The only things I know about is to go to, Start, then programs and look. Or Start, Control panel, programs. What other way is there?

What I am getting at is I ran the avg removal tool and I think it is gone.
I ran the norton removal tool and it appears to be gone.
But I never ran any others yet. I couldn't find them in the first place in programs, it was that iyogi woman that found them. Where did she find this so I can look there and see if the others are really gone?

ady4um No I still haven't ran anything to look for the malware. Is that something I should have done first? I thought I had to get rid of the conflicting virus programs so my avast would run right before I did anything else. UGH see I'm messing things up here. This is so above my pay grade, lol. (But I haven't quit yet.)

First, whether it was iYogi that told you about remnants or not, now it doesn't matter much. By now, it is better to run them anyway (as you don't have the means to re-check it by yourself).

About getting rid of malware, why you are asking now if you had to do that first? If you re-read the topic, this suggestion was mentioned more than once.

Moreover, your topic in the "Viruses and Worms" subforum received the correct answer. You have there the links and instructions what to download, how to proceed, and then to post back there (in that same topic you started) the resulting logs.

Please don't get me wrong. You are welcome to ask. Just try to follow the suggestions.

Now keep reading the relevant info BEFORE running the removal utilities you need to run. (BTW, the removal utilities are for deleting potential remnants that can conflict with Avast and other security tools. The key word is "remnants", so they are not *so* easy to spot by yourself. First see if the "old" program is listed in "Add / Remove Programs". If they are, uninstall them, reboot and follow the instructions for the respective removal utility for that old tool).

If you have any doubts, just come back and ask.

Please report back, in any case.

Gunnydawn

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 11:40:21 PM »
Sorry ady4um, I think got confussed on which to do first. 

ady4um

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 12:06:48 AM »
No problem.

I would say that it is possible (but NOT 100% for sure) that the requested logs (in the "Viruses and Worms" subforum topic) would also show which old security tools you had (by identifying some remnants).