Author Topic: avast 6 free definition update no longer updates.  (Read 13804 times)

toppy

avast 6 free definition update no longer updates.
« on: November 27, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
hi.my avast 6 free edition definition update has suddenly stopped working.it used to work properly but now i keep getting a pop-up message saying it couldn't update.i've tried doing it manually,i've tried uninstalling the software and downloading it again,but i still get the same problem.it starts to download the definitions,but when it gets to the vps_32-64f-64e.vpx file
it just says connection terminated,retrying...but nothing happens.
i'm using windows 7.i've checked for malware using malewarebytes-antimalware but no infections are found.don't know what else to try.any help would be appreciated.

ady4um

Re: avast 6 free definition update no longer updates.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
"Add / Remove Programs" -> Avast -> repair -> follow instructions -> REBOOT.

Please report back.

toppy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »
hi,tried your suggestion.a pop-up appeared saying error processing packages.try full update.
i clicked the view log button and at the bottom of the page it showed error 0x20000011.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:22:40 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

toppy

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »
i've already tried uninstalling it then installing it new again from the avast website.
when i try updating the definitions manually it starts to download,but when it gets to
vps_32-64f-64e.vpx file the connection gets terminated and it says retrying.but still get the same red coloured pop up saying update failed.i've run checks with both avast and malwarebytes
antimalwarebytes but no infections show up.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »
First, avoid the manual update for this tests. Let Avast update itself whenever it is ready.

Second, the "key" of the above instructions is not to uninstall and reinstall. The "key" is the removal utility for Avast, running it from Windows Safe Mode.

Even after the removal utility, you may search for "avast" and "alwil" and delete any folder with such name (unless you have created such folder for your personal needs).

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 12:24:15 AM »
Another option might be to Open Avast!>>Settings>>Updates, then under Proxy Settings, tick the option "direct connection, no proxy".  Then reboot and try again.

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 04:30:33 AM »
Another option might be to Open Avast!>>Settings>>Updates, then under Proxy Settings, tick the option "direct connection, no proxy".  Then reboot and try again.

Sure, and there are more possibilities.

The OP says this has just started, and that previously it was working correctly, so I didn't think about changing current settings. In fact, almost each setting in the "updates" settings tab can change his current situation.

Re-creating Firewall rules (if any) might be also a possibility to solve this issue.

toppy

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »
hi guys,
have tried the removal utility suggestion and the changing the proxy settings to direct connection(no proxy).nothing works.do you have any other ideas?thanks.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 04:53:50 PM »
Other security tools, either currently installed or that were installed in the past?

Firewall?

Can you use your web browser normally?

Is Avast Service active (task manager -> services tab -> avast -> status column)?

After reboot, wait 10 minutes, open avast main GUI -> maintenance -> update. What error messages do you see? When was the latest attempt shown (in relation to the last reboot time)?

toppy

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
hi,
i looked at my firewall settings,inbound rules,there's 4 entries for avast.2 private,2 domain.
they are all enabled and allowed.
today i saw that both my definitions AND program need updating.
have tried to update the program to the new version,but the same thing happens,it starts to download but when it gets to the vps_32-64f-64e.vpx file the connection gets terminated,it retries a few times.then i get an error message.the last one was:
last encountered error:cannot connect to download754.avast.com (208.43.153.3:80)
total time: 32:33

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »
Although it is still not clear to me which firewall you are using, please follow the following:

Avast main GUI -> troubleshooting -> "load avast service only after other system services". Save that setting.

Now go to your firewall and delete all the rules (inbound, outbound, all network connections) that are somehow related to Avast and to your web browsers.

Then reboot. Don't force the updates. Wait at least 10 minutes after the reboot. If your firewall asks, let Avast connect. Only then open Avast main GUI -> maintenance -> update. Do not try to manually update yet. Post here the results shown in that tab.

In addition, check your firewall logs AFTER the above instructions are completely followed.

toppy

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:18:04 AM »
hi,sorry forgot to say that i can still browse the web as normal,and the firewall is the one that came with my windows 7.
i ticked the load avast after other services box,rebooted,and after about 40 minutes a red pop up appeared saying update failed.so i opened the avast update and as before it started to download but stopped when it got to the vps_32-64f-64e.vpx file.connection terminated,retrying
...it tries about 6 or 7 times then says last encountered error:cannot connect to download,similar to the last one.
my firewall didn't ask to allow avast to connect.i eventually found logging setting under the monitoring part of my firewall interface,but when i clicked on the link next to it a pop up appeared saying it couldn't find the path.
i've also tried updating the program again but i got the same thing as when i try updating the definitions.
i don't know how to post what it says on the update page.all i can tell you is that both my definitions and program are out of date. 

ady4um

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 03:03:04 AM »
Please review the firewall rules. DELETE them. YES, those rules of the firewall that comes with Windows Seven. DELETE them. Do you have more than one network connection? Delete the firewall rules for all network connections.

Then reboot and see if it autoupdates itself.

Review Avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "Direct connection (no proxy). While you are there, select the checkbox that says "I am permanently connected to Internet". Then Reboot.

Review again Avast main GUI -> Maintenance -> update and see if there are any errors and when was the last attempt to update. Do NOT force the updates.

Doesn't work? Try to download the complete VPS http://www.avast.com/download-update. Run it and REBOOT (do not try to continue using the system after running the VPS. I need to reboot so the info is really updated correctly in the GUI).

Please report back.

sartorius

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:33 AM »
Hi,

I am following this thread with great interest, since I am experiencing the same issue. I noticed that it all started after I updated Avast! to version 6.0.1367.

Because I have other security programs running on my PC, I wanted to know if any of them was possibly interfering with Avast!  Here is what I did, just in case this would help in the "investigation"...

1.  I shut down Comodo Firewall.
2.  I tried to update Avast! manually: it failed to update (the same way as before shutting down Comodo)
3.  I turned back on Comodo Firewall
4.  I shut down Webroot SecureAnywhere.
5.  I tried to update Avast! manually again: same result (update unsuccessful).
6.  Turned on Webroot SecureAnywhere, of course...

So, all that to say that I am not sure this issue is related to other security softwares...

p.s.:  My OS is Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1