Author Topic: avast 6 free definition update no longer updates.  (Read 13836 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: avast 6 free definition update no longer updates.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 03:56:28 AM »
Hi,

I am following this thread with great interest, since I am experiencing the same issue. I noticed that it all started after I updated Avast! to version 6.0.1367.

Because I have other security programs running on my PC, I wanted to know if any of them was possibly interfering with Avast!  Here is what I did, just in case this would help in the "investigation"...

1.  I shut down Comodo Firewall.
2.  I tried to update Avast! manually: it failed to update (the same way as before shutting down Comodo)
3.  I turned back on Comodo Firewall
4.  I shut down Webroot SecureAnywhere.
5.  I tried to update Avast! manually again: same result (update unsuccessful).
6.  Turned on Webroot SecureAnywhere, of course...

So, all that to say that I am not sure this issue is related to other security softwares...

p.s.:  My OS is Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

What virus def's are you on ? you might have the latest already, if not up to date then you should delet the rules for avast in your firewall and reset them.

sartorius

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 04:40:02 AM »
What virus def's are you on ? you might have the latest already, if not up to date then you should delet the rules for avast in your firewall and reset them.

My virus definition version is: 111128-2 (the current being 111129-2).

I am rather new with Comodo Firewall, I don't know yet how to delete the rules for Avast!... and I wouldn't want to screw things up! :)

So, tell me if I am wrong: If I shut down Comodo Firewall, I would assume that none of its set rules are being applied.  Therefore, if the updating issue with Avast! persists while Comodo is still shut down, I would assume that Comodo has nothing to do with it. What do you think?

p.s.: Is there any way we can send logs to the developers so they can find - or rule out - any possible bug with the last release of Avast!?  Thanks.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 05:27:36 AM »

My virus definition version is: 111128-2 (the current being 111129-2).

I am rather new with Comodo Firewall, I don't know yet how to delete the rules for Avast!... and I wouldn't want to screw things up! :)

So, tell me if I am wrong: If I shut down Comodo Firewall, I would assume that none of its set rules are being applied.  Therefore, if the updating issue with Avast! persists while Comodo is still shut down, I would assume that Comodo has nothing to do with it. What do you think?

p.s.: Is there any way we can send logs to the developers so they can find - or rule out - any possible bug with the last release of Avast!?  Thanks.
Delet everything that is avast in the comodo applications list and reboot which will force comodo to ask/set permissions again for avast which need to be set to allow all.

sartorius

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »
I did what you suggested: I deleted all the entries I could find in Comodo Firewall (including Defense+)that were related to Avast. I then rebooted my PC... and no, it didn't solve the problem.  I am still getting a popup from Avast saying that the last attempt to update the definitions was unsuccessfull. In that same popup, it prompts the user to "update now", which I did...  again without success.

However, here is something interesting: Using Rollback RX, I rolled back to the snapshot I took prior to updating Avast from v. 6.0.1289 to v. 6.0.1397. Guess what... Avast had no problem to update the virus definitions! So, it seems obvious to me that something went wrong when updating to version 6.0.1397 (whether it's a bug in this version or something else I can't figure).

toppy

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »
hi ady4um,
when i turned on my laptop today and checked the avast gui i noticed that the program had updated to the new 6.0.1367 version,but my definitions were still out of date(111109.0).
being a newbie i was apprehensive about deleting all my firewall rules as you suggested,especially as the avast rules i deleted on your previous suggestion don't seem to have been auto-updated by my firewall.
i did the other things you suggested,but after downloading and running the vps update i got a popup message saying my vps were already up to date.so i rebooted and looked at the avast gui,but it still says virus definition version 111109.9-update.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »
@toppy,

About the firewall rules, when you delete the rules they are re-created again when the specific program wants to connect.

In some situations, when a program is updated (like Avast just was recently updated to a new stable version), the firewall is not 100% that the "old" program is the same as the new. So the firewall denyes the connection.

By deleting the rules (if the firewall is configured correctly, then) it should ask you again for permission when Avast tries to update.

For some reason (and I can think of several), your definitions date is currently not "in sync".

My suggestion would be  to delete the firewall rules, reboot, wait for about 10 minutes after the reboot and review the information (Avast main GUI -> maintenance -> update). Please review the info there, but don't force the update.

There are additional steps possible, if that is not enough. Please report back.

toppy

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 12:00:58 AM »
hi ady4um,
did what you suggested with the rules and reviewing the update page etc.
still get the same as before.definitions need updating.
i don't understand how it can update the program version but not the definitions.????
i also don't understand what you meant by definitions date not being in sync.?????
getting really frustrated and fed up,but i appreciate the help you've offered.

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »
What I meant with the "sync" was that you mentioned before that you correctly applied a full VPS update, but Avast kept informing it was not updated in the main GUI (showing a different definitions' date than what was already applied).

Some other users reported problems with the normal updates, and a couple reported recent problems with the full VPS.

I don't know if these other reports have any connection with your case (and I am not implying in any way they are).

If I think about something else / additional, I'll come back to suggest it. Maybe someone else has some idea.

toppy

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »
thanks mate,
i have also submitted a ticket to the avast team.they told me to download the hijackthis software,run it,and send them the log,aswell as the avast setup log.but the only suggestions i've got off them so far is to change the proxy setting to direct connection and disable my iobit software(advanced systemcare 4).
neither of those worked.
i will let you know if they come up with a fix.thanks again for your input.

ady4um

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 03:54:42 AM »
Probably the following comment has nothing to do with your problem, but several frequent forum members here would suggest to get rid of IO bit's tools.

To be clear, I don't use them and I personally have no opinion at all. I'm just telling you what several other users here would suggest, independently of your current problem.

Please do NOT get this as a personal *recommendation* from my part, as I don't have any experience of their tools. Certainly this comment has no relation to Avast Software in ANY way, as I am just a simple user as you are.

Possibly, you may want to solve this avast not updating issue first, before getting into an additional "project" (of changing things in your system).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 05:22:37 AM »
toppy the ASC ( iobit ) should be removed as i believe it contains realtime monitoring for Malware and even if disabled there will still be active low level drivers running, there is also the issue of them being a corrupt company so anything from this mob would not even be given a second thought about being installed on my system.
After uninstalling from remove programs and a reboot you will need to run this tool to clear out the leftovers http://www.t-tools.nl/CCount/click.php?id=35

toppy

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
hi guys,
yeah,did the iobit removal,tried the avast uninstall utlilty/reinstall avast software ady4um
suggested a few messages ago and everything is back to normal and up to date. :)thanks again for all your help.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 04:34:01 PM »
hi guys,
yeah,did the iobit removal,tried the avast uninstall utlilty/reinstall avast software ady4um
suggested a few messages ago and everything is back to normal and up to date. :)thanks again for all your help.
I didn't have much input to give in this thread but im glad your all up and working fine again and gotton rid of iobit  ;)