Author Topic: Problem with scanning attachments  (Read 25783 times)

ady4um

Re: Problem with scanning attachments
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 04:43:51 AM »
I don't know about the ShellExView, so I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

About the blue arrows over the icons, it "seems" to be shortcuts to the actual file. I say "seems" because any file can have such an icon (or similar). Right click on the icon with the blue arrow and select properties. Can you describe what you see (or attach an image)?

The additional Avast shortcut in the desktop was already commented by other users, but I don't remember what was related to (maybe some sandbox issue, but not sure).

About the previous screenshots of your settings, I use the
 "right click -> Avast scan"
every day, and I go to Avast main GUI -> settings -> "basic", and both "special scans" and "behavior" are checked in my system, while your screenshots are showing them as UNchecked. Maybe you should try it.

Please report back.

Nikilet

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 06:53:53 AM »
I had already checked the "Special Scans" per the info from Pondus. It made no change.

I now checked "Behavior" also and still, it makes no difference.

I'm sure you are right about that blue arrow indicating shortcuts of actual files.

I also use the right click -> Avast scan every day and that is why this is going to really cripple me.

My son-in-law put in 2 GB RAM (total 4 GB) for me when they were here Thanksgiving. Would that have any effect. It all went without incident.

I can't accept that there is not a fix for this. Actually, in Googling I found a number of complaints about this right-click scan issue, but none of them were comparable to my situation. 

ady4um

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Yes, some users had some problems with their context menu, but that is not "exclusive" to Avast. It can happen to any program, since it depends on registry keys.

Those registry keys depend sometimes on the specific file type. But your case seems different. Your context menu shows up, but seems not to work.

Have you rebooted after setting those changes in Avast settings?

What about downloading the setup.exe again and running it ("right click -> run as administrator" is in this case necessary) just over the current installation? It would be similar to a "repair". If you do, please reboot immediately before retesting it.

Nikilet

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
My context menu shows up and seems to function fine. I might have already mentioned that I can right-click on the same files and select to scan with MBAM and it scans them. This does seem to be an Avast problem rather than anything with my system.

I did reboot several times last evening, but I don't think it was immediately after setting the changes. I suppose I could try running the setup file. I don't know if that would do any good when I've already run the repair, but I will try it and let you know. And I understand that you want me to reboot right away after running.

I can save actual emails to my desktop and the right-click avast scan will work on those. It will work on program shortcuts. It works on FILES. (I am making a correction to this because it should have said FOLDERS) I created a new folder on my desktop, then took some of the same files I've been working with and placed them into a folder. I can then right-click on the folder itself and Avast will scan all of the files, but if I open the folder and try to scan the files individually, it doesn't scan. See screenshot. I tried to scan each one of those files in the folder from the desktop, and tried to scan them individually from within the folder and Avast would not perform the scan. But when I right clicked on the folder itself then it scanned everything.

I know this can be considered a work-around, but that's not the way it is supposed to work and what if that work-around stops working too?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:44:29 PM by Nikilet »

Nikilet

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 10:22:28 PM »
I'm not exactly sure how I get that setup.exe file again. I went to my account online at Avast thinking it might list my licenses and downloads, but I couldn't find it if it did.

Also, if I do something like this does that then mean I will have to download and install all the program updates and definition updates? If I have to go through all that perhaps it would be better to just uninstall the whole program and reinstall it.

Please advise.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »
I know this can be considered a work-around, but that's not the way it is supposed to work and what if that work-around stops working too?

Don't worry. No even one of the frequent users in this forum nor any of Avast Team members would consider that a valid workaround. Something is definitely wrong.

perhaps it would be better to just uninstall the whole program and reinstall it.

Well, that was my next suggestion. My previous one was that you download the same exact setup.exe you are now talking about: the LATEST STABLE version of the same edition of Avast you currently have.

For now, avoid the uninstall.

Download the latest stable version, right click, properties, "unblock", "OK", right click, "run as administrator", follow installation instructions, reboot, test the context menu and scan.

If that works, Avast should also update its definitions database if necessary (if the setting is for automatic definitions updates).

If it doesn't solve the problem, then I'll give you more instructions.

Please report back.

Nikilet

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »
Well, that was my next suggestion. My previous one was that you download the same exact setup.exe you are now talking about: the LATEST STABLE version of the same edition of Avast you currently have.

I still am unsure about this. Do you mean I just go to Avast and download the Avast Internet Security 6.0 and install it right over the top of what I have, which is 6.0.1282? Or did you mean the file I used when I originally installed Avast IS?

Sorry, but I don't want to just assume and charge ahead and then wish I would have asked questions.

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »
Not need to be sorry. I would say, in computers, ask before you act every single time you are not sure.

just go to Avast and download the Avast Internet Security 6.0 and install it right over the top of what I have, which is 6.0.1282?

That is what I mean. Download the current stable LATEST available version of AIS (the new just released today version 6.0.1367).

After rebooting, if that didn't solve the problem, I'll give more instructions. Please report back.

Nikilet

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 04:29:14 AM »
Well now I seem to have another problem. I right-clicked the AIS setup.exe and there is NO OPTION to run ad administrator. It's always been there so I have not a clue what has happened. I then right clicked on some more files and same thing -- no "run as administrator."

I was able to click on AIS setup, properties, compatibility and check the box in there that says to run as administrator.

Do you have any clue what I could do to get this back? Could this be caused by AIS?

Nikilet

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 10:08:31 AM »
Installing the AIS file over my existing installation did not work. I no longer know what to do.

I ran Check Disk and no problems found.
I ran scf /scannow again and no problems found.

Is there any possibility that something as silly as Logitech software could be causing this? I ask because I was having some kind of problem before which I can't even remember now, and I uninstalled Logitech and did not reinstall it because my mouse seemed to be working fine without it. But I notice it's been kind of unresponsive.

I got on this older Gateway notebook I have which runs Win XP and it really seemed nice to have my right-click scan working, and also my "run as administrator."

Nikilet

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
aswSnx

I looked in the Event Viewer and there really didn't seem to be a lot of crucial items, but I did find this. Isn't this an Avast driver?

Well, it's 4 a.m. here and I've been pretty much all day and all night trying to figure all these glitches out. At least you can't call me a quitter. But I am going to bed now and I hope when I come back here ady4um, or someone, has stumbled across a fix for me. I really hate to uninstall Avast because other than this right-click scan deal, it seems to be running seamlessly.

Then, of course, there's the "run as administrator" deal. It would seem that I'm having a bunch of context menu problems. Is it a problem with registry items.

ady4um

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »
Then, of course, there's the "run as administrator" deal. It would seem that I'm having a bunch of context menu problems. Is it a problem with registry items.

I don't know if the "run as administrator" problem is just a context menu problem or what.

Are you using a Windows account that is part of the "Administrators" group?

There are some utilities to edit / rebuild / delete context menu items, depending on the specific version of Windows you are using.

Maybe you should check with some additional security tools (so to haver some resulting logs with concrete info). Other forum members (usually in the "Viruses and Worms" subforum) may suggest which tool to run so to attach to a post a specific log.

(I'll try to gather some info for this additional issue, but no promises.)

ady4um

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »
In addition to the above questions in my previous post, are you using a Windows account that is part of the "administrators" group, or are you using THE "Adminstrator" account?

After trying the installation of the newest stable version of AIS, have you rebooted? (Sorry to be "heavy" with this, but sometimes it is just *that* simple.)

Nikilet

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »
Yes, I run windows from administrators account. I don't know what you  mean for sure when you ask if it's part of the "administrators" group or is it THE "Administrator" account. I'm guessing it's part of the administrators group. All I know for sure is that it is the administrators account I set up.

Yes, I rebooted after I ran AIS setup.exe. For sure!

I don't know what you mean when you say
In addition to the above questions in my previous post...
I went back and glanced through and nothing is jumping out at me that I did not answer.

So, do you think it's time to try uninstalling Avast and starting from scratch?

P.S. If I go through"Start" I can right click on things and the option to "Run as administrator" is there. It's crazy, just like the right-click scan deal. I can put items into a folder and right click the folder and get a scan. But I can not right click on the item itself and get a scan.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:49:03 PM by Nikilet »

ady4um

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
In Windows, there is one account / user name that is named exactly like that "Administrator".

Download the following:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Reboot into Windows Safe Mode ("F8" just when Windows is about to "kick in" when booting).

In the removal utility, select the correct folder and correct version / edition of Avast.

Repeat this for other versions / editions of Avast you ever had before (for example, if you have updated some time from Avast 5 to 6, or if you had Avast Free 5 and then AIS 6).

Reboot again (please do not skip the reboot) into Windows Safe Mode. Try running in this mode the setup of AIS 6.0.1367. This is NOT the normal method for the installation, but the things you are describing under normal mode are too strange. Avoid updating or configuring anything in Avast. Simply reboot after the installation tells you it has finished.

If the installation under Safe Mode won't be possible, then try installing under Windows Normal Mode and reboot.

(The setup has changed a little from the previous stable 6.0.1289 to the current 6.0.1367, so I don't know if installing under Windows Safe Mode will work. The removal utility, for sure it will work, and it is much better to run it under Windows Safe Mode).

I won't to stress out that you should avoid any additional configuration or update of AIS, except if AIS does it by itself. So, no even inserting the license for now.

Please report back.