Author Topic: Problem with scanning attachments  (Read 25968 times)

Nikilet

Re: Problem with scanning attachments
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 09:45:26 PM »
If I don't insert the license I will be left without protection because the shields will not be activated without the license and since this is not the free version, I will not have protection.

Goodness, I don't know if I can accomplish what you've asked. I started out with Avast antivirus free (don't know what the version was); and then I went to Avast Pro and I know that was 5, and then I immediately asked for my money back on the Avast Pro and went with the Avast Internet Security 5 instead.

If I understand correctly, you want me to uninstall each one of these, one by one, and since I do not know what the free version was, that would mean at least Avast Pro 5, Avast Internet Security 5 and Avast Internet Security 6???? Is there any way to trace which free version I installed because I honestly do not know?

In some Googling I did in the wee hours, in anticipation of uninstalling Avast, it said to: Either, start Windows in Safe Mode or disable the avast! self-defence module. Then it gave instructions to disable that module and I copied and pasted into an email and saved to draft so I could refer to it.

Please know I'm not arguing with you. I'm trying to "understand" what I'm being told to do.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »
Could you give a screen shot of your right click menu please - like so

ady4um

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 10:06:44 PM »
Let's start for the simple one: If you don't know or are not sure, run the removal utility for all versions of Avast, all from Windows Safe Mode.

I'll tell you even more.

Once you have finished running the removal utility for all versions, reboot again into Windows Safe Mode and search for any folder containing "avast" or "alwil" at least in part of the name. Delete all those folders (including those in hidden areas. For example, if there is a folder (no matter where) with the name "Avast5", or "avast5, or "avast 5", delete it.

Now reboot again into Windows Safe Mode and run the installation of AIS and reboot into Windows Normal Mode and test the context menu scan.

About the specific setup.exe and the license, you are wrong. If you download the setup.exe for AIS, you have 30 days with protection anyway, before your licence. (The licence will still be valid up to the same date it was before anyway.) So, I don't know why you think you have no protection. Or maybe you are not downloading the correct file?

In fact, this problem is independent on the edition of Avast. For the context menu scan, all edition will do. But, since you want to have AIS with your valid license key after this problem is solved, then I am recommending to download AIS's setup.exe.

Nikilet

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 01:49:59 AM »
ady4um: When you told me before to install the AIS setup.exe, I ran into this very problem. I panicked because I had forgotten how to insert the license key. I finally figured it out but in the meantime, the program was not active and kept asking for the key. The file I ran came right from Avast site, (see screenshot)

essexboy: Screenshot attached. It varies depending what I click on, so I clicked on a folder so it shows more options.

Nikilet

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 02:03:52 AM »
Another screenshot of right-click menu taken from START. Anything from there still shows the "Run as administrator" option.

ady4um

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:11 AM »
OK, I want to explain one thing that you are apparently not understanding. Those screenshots are not from real folders. They are shortcuts to folders. Those are different type of files. So when you say that you scan it, I doubt it is really scanning the real file or the real folder.

About the setup of AIS, can you download the TRIAL version (or edition or build) of AIS 6.0.1367 from the official web site only? I can't be more specific in the description, and I won't put here a direct link.

The trial version should let you use the program for 30 days. That's the whole point of the trial. After this problem is solved, you can add your license (and you have 30 days to do it).

The previous sentence is valid if you cleaned up all remnants of all previous version, editions, build, and then deleted the possible remnant folders I already instructted to.

When you download the setup.exe for AIS (the current stable trial), you can right click on it and select properties. "Unblock it" if necessary (as already explained). Also, one of the tabs in the properties should contain a valid signature (certificate) of Avast Software (or Alwil Software).

If, for whichever reason, the trail version of AIS can't be used or installed in your system, then download the Free edition of Avast. The reason is simple. If this problem is solved while using the Free edition, it will be easier to upgrade to AIS eventually. It would be better to install the Free edition, rather than to have no protection at all.

Please follow the instructions already given before (in previous posts) and report back.

Nikilet

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 03:58:21 AM »
ady4um: I really don't get your first paragraph below. Are you talking about the screenshots I attached for essexboy? I truly have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about. What I was trying to show essexboy was that if I right click an item in my Start menu or under All Programs there, I still have my "Run as administrator" item in the context menu. If I click an item from within my C drive, or on my desktop, that item is not there. So I guess I'm still not understanding.

Please be assured that I so much appreciate your sticking with me here and trying to help, but I guess I'm not one to just walk blindly into the water and hope I'll float. Are you so sure about this AIS trial version? I initially installed the trial version and I used it up. When I finally made the purchase, I had exhausted my 30-day trial.

I wish someone would step in here and help ady4um explain things to me. Apparently I AM NOT getting some things, and bless his heart, I think he is getting frustrated with me.

essexboy, have you nothing more to say about your request for screenshot of my context menu?

ady4um

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 05:22:40 AM »
Yes, I was referring to the picture for essexboy, but also to previous posts from you.

My point was that "folders" are not being shown in those pictures. You seemed to think (from you own previous posts) that if you select a "folder", you can scan it with its contents, but when you select a certain type of files (like executable files) inside the same folder, the context menu for Avast is not reacting (or at least not showing you any reaction).

What you though are "real" folders, according to your pictures are "shortcuts to folders".

At this point, that clarification is not so important. This should be corrected for any type of file or folder.

Now, about the AIS setup, yes I am sure. My instructions were for you to completely remove all remnants of all possible Avast editions and versions (by using the removal utility several times under Windows Safe Mode, and then by manually deleting any relevant folder that may be left behind).

So, the 30 days limit is gone. You are supposed to be starting from scratch. If installing AIS says you have no time left, then there is some remnant still there.

But, I also gave you an alternative, just so we can solve this problem, or at least to find out if this is related to some Avast glitch, or to some Windows registry problems, or if you have / had some malware causing this. The alternative is to download the Free edition (not AIS).

The rest of the instructions remains the same. After the final reboot of my previous instructions (some posts above), you should have the Free edition of Avast, stable version 6.0.1367, and we hope that the context menu will work "everywhere and anywhere".

After getting to such success (whether by this method or by eliminating whichever the problem is), it will be much easier to install AIS over the Free edition (the new AIS 6.0.1367 is prepeared for that), insert your license and be secured.

I hope I was clearer now.

Nikilet

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 05:33:41 AM »
I still don't get it. To me, the folders I create are by right clicking my desktop and selecting "New Folder" -- well, they are real folders. Perhaps in the computer world, they are not technically real folders. Thing is, I agree with you. I don't think it makes any difference.

I will have to attempt this removal/reinstall of Avast tomorrow as I just don't have what it takes anymore today.

I'm half beginning to thing there is some kind of registry problem, but I really don't know where to go for help. I live 100 miles from the nearest computer shop so it's not like I can load it up, run uptown and drop it off.

Thanks for your patience and help. Have a good one. I'll check in tomorrow.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
You will not get the run as admin on the second screen shot as a folder is selected rather that a file - Other wise the menu seems OK

I will have a root around my registry and see what it should say

Nikilet

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »
You will not get the run as admin on the second screen shot as a folder is selected rather that a file - Other wise the menu seems OK

I will have a root around my registry and see what it should say

I would so appreciate it if you would do that. I have Googled myself silly on this but I don't understand so much I found. In Windows Seven forum I did find an actual registry key file that was included for someone. I downloaded it but didn't use it. It is RunAsAdmin_add.reg

I'll wait to hear from you.

Nikilet

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »
I won't to stress out that you should avoid any additional configuration or update of AIS, except if AIS does it by itself. So, no even inserting the license for now.

Please report back.

I have done as you instructed. Right now I am running AIS 6.0.1367 in trial mode. I have done absolutely nothing within the program as yet. It made no difference. The option to scan with avast is there, but for the most part it's dead and produces no results unless it is used via a folder. I will wait to hear from you before setting up my scan schedules, inserting license or anything.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:35:48 PM by Nikilet »

Nikilet

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »
essexboy: Since this process of uninstalling and reinstalling Avast did not work to remedy the "Scan with avast" problem, I am assuming that this and "Run as administrator" missing command are all a part of the same. I think a strong indicator of a registry problem is the fact that the "Scan with avast" command does show up, and it does work if I place files first inside a folder. I can scan the files through selecting a folder, but not by selecting the actual file.

If there is something wrong in the registry, can you help me fix these problems, or do you know a good place to go to get help.

I have used a Registry Cleaner, but it's one I trust and have not had problems with. I guess there is always a first time.

There was also something I added to the context menu very recently and I recall downloading a little file that I had to click on and select to "merge" something. I just can't remember what it was that I added. Whatever it was, it worked, but maybe it messed something else up???
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:34:53 PM by Nikilet »

ady4um

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
I'll leave you in the hands of essexboy now. Just a comment about the ".reg" files. Sometimes the content of a reg file is compatible for both Vista (your OS) and for Seven. Sometimes it is compatible with all editions of Vista. But this is not *always* the case. So, whatever you downloaded for Seven, you should be sure it is compatible and useful for your particular edition of Vista. Otherwise it may be more of a problem than a solution.

In any case, before applying reg files, I would suggest a backup your registry.

Nikilet

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 10:18:51 PM »
Will do. Thanks for your help!  ;)