Author Topic: Avast 4.5--Avast01 caused error in 'XFIRE_CONURE_10226.DLL'  (Read 14813 times)

thenicestguy23

Avast 4.5--Avast01 caused error in 'XFIRE_CONURE_10226.DLL'
« on: November 19, 2004, 03:32:46 AM »
After I updated to Avast 4.5 (Home) I randomly get this error.  

Avast01 has caused an error in XFIRE_CONURE_10226.DLL.  Avast01 will now close

Click here for screenshot of error.

What is Avast01 and what does it do??

Why is this error keep repeating and how do I fix it??

Also, it seems as if all the good features of 4.5(support for winmx, bittorrent, network shield, and transparent email) are for NT users only.  Any support for 9x users in the future?? (running WinME).

« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 03:37:14 AM by thenicestguy23 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast 4.5--Avast01 caused error in 'XFIRE_CONURE_10226.DLL'
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 03:55:11 AM »
Please make that avatar smaller, not everyone is on broadband.
(Forum Policy)

I think the file is avast01.setup which is part of the update of Avast.
If this is so it seems to me something went wrong during the update.

Since I am not sure about this, I suggest you wait for others to jump in and see if they can confirm this.

If I am correct, try a repair of Avast.

thenicestguy23

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 05:12:27 AM »
Don't have option to repair.  This is WinME, as I stated above, not XP.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 09:39:17 AM »
avast!'s "Repair" can be accessed from Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs on any operating system.

Anyway, the mentioned DLL file is not part of avast!, so repair is unlikely to help. It may be (for example) some kind of system hook installed by some application. The name Avast01 sounds also strange to me... not a real name of avast! application.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 09:54:38 AM »
avast01.setup IS part of avast. If avast.setup already exists and is locked, the updater creates avast01.setup, avast02.setup etc. This is quite rare but can happen.

TheNicestGuy23, could you please find the DLL in question on your hard drive? Which folder is it located in? If you click its Properties in the Explorer, does it have a Version information? If so, who is the producer of the DLL?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

thenicestguy23

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 03:03:35 AM »
avast!'s "Repair" can be accessed from Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs on any operating system.

Anyway, the mentioned DLL file is not part of avast!, so repair is unlikely to help. It may be (for example) some kind of system hook installed by some application. The name Avast01 sounds also strange to me... not a real name of avast! application.

It can't on Win ME, once again, as I said, this is ME NOT XP.  ME has no option for repair of Avast.

avast01.setup IS part of avast. If avast.setup already exists and is locked, the updater creates avast01.setup, avast02.setup etc. This is quite rare but can happen.

TheNicestGuy23, could you please find the DLL in question on your hard drive? Which folder is it located in? If you click its Properties in the Explorer, does it have a Version information? If so, who is the producer of the DLL?

One person says it is part of avast, one says it isn't.  One is a global moderator and one is part of the AWIL team.  The one that is part of AWIL team AND Avast evangelist doesn't even know the filenames of his own program???  And he programs the code for this antivirus????? (SCARY!!)  So it is part of Avast correct???

Anyway, I should have put on the 1st post that that DLL file is part of an IM program called XFIRE.  It is a new IM for gamers.  You can find info on it here if need be www.xfire.com

Also, I did a search for that DLL file and it doesn't show up in a search.  BUT, in the xfire folder, there is one now called XFIRE_CONURE_10406.DLL.  Perhaps the #'s change because that is the CURRENT port that the program uses on my computer to access the Internet.

I have posted in the xfire forums asking what that file is used for, but no one has answered it yet.  Anyway, it seems to be part of that IM program, as it is in the same folder with the rest of the xfire files.  

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 03:06:15 AM by thenicestguy23 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 01:19:40 PM »
It can't on Win ME, once again, as I said, this is ME NOT XP.  ME has no option for repair of Avast.

I'm afraid you are wrong. It is on all operating systems. Open the "My Computer" icon from your desktop and go to "Control Panel". There, open "Add/Remove Programs". From the list, select "avast! Antivirus" and press "Add/Remove" (or whatever the button is called). avast! Control Panel applet will open - and it has a "Repair" option.

One person says it is part of avast, one says it isn't.  One is a global moderator and one is part of the AWIL team.  The one that is part of AWIL team AND Avast evangelist doesn't even know the filenames of his own program???  And he programs the code for this antivirus????? (SCARY!!)  So it is part of Avast correct???

OK, I was wrong - such things sometimes happen, right? avast! is not made by one man - many people are working on it and nobody can know everything.
Anyway, the DLL is certainly not part of avast!. Do you know if any of xfire users encounter similar problems (i.e. crashes in this DLL)?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 01:50:44 PM »
XFIRE_CONURE_xxxxx.DLL > xxxxx= the version number

Just a thought, but perhaps a reupdate of xfire solves the problem.

Open up the xfire.ini file.
Delete the FutureVersion=0 line.
Now change the Version=20 to Version=18. (I take it you have version 20)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 01:51:41 PM by Eddy »

thenicestguy23

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 06:45:09 AM »
igor:  The thing is, the xfire, nor avast neither one crash or close after that error pops up, they both seem to function normally.....lol!  strange huh.  And btw, I found the repair function, you must scroll down to see it, that is why I thought it wasn't on there....lol.

And eddy, I had version 1.27 but this last Thursday, they released an auto-update for xfire(auto-updates every 2nd thursday) to 1.28 and I have yet to receive the error since then, but been out of town also.  So I guess we can pan out and see what happens.

If I get the error again, I will reply to this thread, if not, then I guess problem fixed with 1.28 xfire update.

BTW:  No matter what anyone says, this is absolutely the best antivirus on the market.......even better than ones you have to pay for.  And best of all.....IT'S FREE.  Thanks for such hard work and a great product.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 06:47:13 AM by thenicestguy23 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 06:51:59 AM »
If I get the error again, I will reply to this thread
Also let us know if the problem is gone please.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 11:26:33 AM »
I know the WinME crash box is rather brief (i.e. it doesn't give any useful information about the problem). You can try to start DrWatson - it will log some useful information when the crash occurs.

thenicestguy23

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 02:04:14 AM »
eh, I just thought it was gone.  It's not gone...lol.  Same error, in _10204.dll.  I noticed that it seems to occur when Avast connects to the Internet to try to update.  That seems to trigger the error.  Any help??

Also, your software is the cause of the error, but I am curious.  Is is something wrong in xfire that is making avast crash, or is it something wrong in avast making avast crash??
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 02:10:29 AM by thenicestguy23 »

thenicestguy23

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 08:39:08 AM »
ok, this is all the info that I could get from the xfire team.

Toucan - this is the dll that does all of our in game messaging stuff
Conure - Helps toucan with in game stuff, also handles the auto idle/ status feature we put in a little while ago.

It really sucks getting this error, think we could fix this problem???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 08:45:11 AM »
Any errors about this in the system log, the event log or Avast's log file?

watchthisspace

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 08:47:24 AM »
Just a guess here, if that file  XFIRE_CONURE_10226.DLL is causing the problem and Conure handles the auto Idle stats, is there a option to turn that feature off? if so try disableing it and see what happens? other wise i got no other ideas (yet)  ???